Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Swirl marks and Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 09:43 AM
allenz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swirl marks and Zaino

Perhaps I am expecting Zaino to perform more than its capable, am I?

Put on 3 coats of Z5 then a couple Z2, then back to Z5 again and then 2 more of Z2 yet I still see the marks. They are not as noticable but still there.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2001, 04:14 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Swirl marks and Zaino (allenz)

I've had very good luck with improving the look of my paint with Zaino. You don't specify, but a coat of Z6 before and/or after each coat of Z2/Z5 is recommended. Also you should wait at least a day between coats. Finally, Zaino works wonders, but can't perform miracles. A compromised paint finish can't be erased with Zaino. You might need to consider a quality buff, and then use Zaino to protect it.
Old 08-28-2001, 05:56 PM
allenz
Pro

Default Re: Swirl marks and Zaino (Jerry Velders)

Jerry,

Yes, I should have mentioned that I Z6 in between each coat. However, it also may be true that what I have is as good as it gets. Was just looking for other's opinions.
Old 08-28-2001, 07:32 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

If what you see doesn't go away after 5 coats then zaino wont hide them, ask me how I know.

Joel
Old 08-28-2001, 07:38 PM
georgehafe
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In 1, 2, 6, 8 Veteran

Allen, I would keep trying a couple of more times. It took my car several to get the results i was after. I know I mentioned this before but make sure the towels are good quality also.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:36 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Allen, if after 3 coats of Z-5 the swirls are not greatly reduced then you may want to use a product like 3M Scratch and Swirl Remover to "repair" the problem areas first, then go back to the Z-5.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:35 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Perhaps I am expecting Zaino to perform more than its capable, am I?

Put on 3 coats of Z5 then a couple Z2, then back to Z5 again and then 2 more of Z2 yet I still see the marks. They are not as noticable but still there.

Thanks
If what you are seeing on the paint is circular reflections from the sun, that is really not buffer swirl marks, all cars have those, even 10,000 dollar custom paint jobs.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:13 AM
allenz
Pro

Default Re: Swirl marks and Zaino (KLO)

Actually, what I am seeing mostly are the sort of concentric circles around a light source (bulb, sun, etc). I was under the impression that these are swirl marks......
Old 08-29-2001, 10:15 AM
KLO
Safety Car

Actually, what I am seeing mostly are the sort of concentric circles around a light source (bulb, sun, etc). I was under the impression that these are swirl marks......
Not really, that is what I was talking about above, those are light spider webbing marks, all cars will show them in a light source reflection. They should be contained to a very small cirlce on a good paint surface.
Old 08-29-2001, 02:06 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: Swirl marks and Zaino (KLO)

Not really, that is what I was talking about above, those are light spider webbing marks, all cars will show them in a light source reflection. They should be contained to a very small cirlce on a good paint surface.
I have the same thing and my paint job is less than 2 years old. I was at a local vette show last month and ALL of the C5's have this, to some extent. I am only able to see it in DIRECT sunlight, while looking at the reflection of the sun in the paint. If I back up a foot, I can't see them. I wouldn't be worried about it.
Old 08-30-2001, 08:43 AM
allenz
Pro

Default Re: Swirl marks and Zaino (Stingray1967)

Thanks guys; I won't worry about it. I only saw them when looking at the reflection of a light source, anyway.

I can't believe it; I am almost out of Z2! I got about 6 coats on - probably too heavy, huh?
Old 08-30-2001, 10:09 AM
KLO
Safety Car

Yup, too heavy, should get 12 to 14, actually more coats on a rag top than that even.

Get notified of new replies

To Swirl marks and Zaino

Quick Reply: Swirl marks and Zaino