Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Adams versus Zaino

Old 06-26-2006, 07:22 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adams versus Zaino

Okay, not to start a holy war, but it's time to stock up on some decent detailing supplies. Outside of NXT which I don't particularly like, Adam's and Zaino seem to be the 800lb gorillas.

I've always detailed by hand, but it seems like a lot of people here have had great luck with the PC 7424. However, Zaino seems to feel a mechanical polisher is both a waste and unnecessary while Adams seems to be very pro polisher. I don't know how/if this factors into my decision.

Anyone have any thoughts on comparisons between the two? Maybe used both? Previously I've used mainly the Meguiars Pro line (7/9/wax, I think) applied by hand.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:36 PM
black bart
Drifting

Here we go again.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:38 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

I did a search with zaino and adams and just got a bunch of junk... hence the question. BTW, thanks for your useful contribution to the thread
Old 06-26-2006, 07:38 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

There are many opinions/reviews of both products on this forum.

Zaino wouldn't have developed an abrasive polish (ZPC Fusion) that works by machine if he though it was a waste and unnecessary.

In general, Zaino products are easy to use, look fantastic, and last longer than anything else.

Here is my quick review of Adam's:

Adam's VRT - one of my favorite dressings. A very nice, matte appearance that has normal durability for a water-based dressing. Easy on and dries quick.

Adam's Detail Spray - gives a really good "pop" for a quick detailer. Has mild cleaning ability, good slickness, wears off fairly quickly. Easy to apply with very little streaking.

Adam's Brilliant Spray Glaze - some really like this product, but I didn't care for it much. It was greasy and application seemed blotchy.

Adam's Butter Wax - run-of-the-mill detailer's product, IMO. Pretty easy to use, decent appearance, and limited durability.

If *I* were going to pick a whole line out of the two, it would definitely be Zaino, but both companies offer worthwhile products included in my detailing arsenal.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:40 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

Thanks!! exactly what I was looking for!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:49 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Just remember that prep work is the most important part of a good finish, and everyone's preferences on "waxes" will be different.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:51 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

Agreed! ...but there seems to be a lot less discussion on proper prep (wash, lubed clay, wash) Thanks again!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:53 PM
black bart
Drifting

Originally Posted by openhelix
I did a search with zaino and adams and just got a bunch of junk... hence the question. BTW, thanks for your useful contribution to the thread
Your welcome and thanks for your post also.
It has been a couple of weeks since ADAMS has been discussed as how it compares to Zaino
Someone asks this or a similar question nearly daily after you have been here awhile you will know what I'm talking about.

Here is a novel idea instead of someone telling you what they like.
try them and decide which one YOU like
Old 06-26-2006, 09:54 PM
chevyvette1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 347 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Beating the dead horse

what kills me is people complain about "beating a dead horse" but they post a reply just to get it back to the top,DUH not to smart, also there may be a lot of posts about the subject, but sometimes it is nice to get different opinions, I'm sure the last time this question was asked, the same exact people weren't online to comment on it
Old 06-27-2006, 12:29 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

openhelix - there's nothing wrong with asking this question -
if someone doesn't want to read the same topics discussed over and over again, he shouldn't be in this forum -- this is a detailing forum ! You're not going to see a discussion on Kikuchi-Fujimoto Syndrome, right? EVERY post, by definition is going to be about waxes, sealants, buffing, tire care, glass care, etc. -- ALL of these topics have been beat to death. The best way to get a quick answer, unfortunately, is NOT to do a search and spend hours reading - but to put up a new post as you did, so you get answers to your specific question.

Sorry I have not tried Adams - mainly because I was so thrilled when I used Zaino 15 months ago that my 15-year experimentation has halted. I think you understand this, but just to say it out loud
  • you're correct - you don't apply zaino sealants with a machine - just wasteful to do it
  • you DO apply Zaino PC fusion by machine, because this is an abrasive polish, not a sealant.

- but in my opinion don' t waste your time on Z-PC. It won't remove swirls on a corvette even by rotary machine. If you have swirls and scratches, use Menzerna or 3M abrasives. For sealants, Zaino is the way.

Note that the respected pros in here get nice results with Z-PC, and I can't figure out how - it is total placebo in my hands. Yet instant results with Menzerna or 3M.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:10 AM
black bart
Drifting

Originally Posted by bugman
openhelix - there's nothing wrong with asking this question -
if someone doesn't want to read the same topics discussed over and over again, he shouldn't be in this forum -- .

Thanks bugman your probably right I should not be on this forum. So tired of reading the same old $hit over and over so I will take your advice and leave I need a break. But I sure will miss all you cool aide drinkers.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:18 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Here is a review I did a while ago.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...php?t=1197128&
Old 06-27-2006, 12:19 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bugman

I went to school at UD in Newark and have been to Lewes many times. Small world!

Sounds like Zaino is still the way to go. Thanks for sharing your experience. I've read a lot of your posts here and have learned to respect your opinion.

And yes, I had to google KF Syndrome: Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease (KFD) is a rare entity of uncertain cause which commonly presents as a lymphoadenopathy unresponsive to antibiotic therapy. Although usually it follows a benign self-limited course KFD has been repeatedly misdiagnosed as lymphoma.

And thanks for the review agent F1. I'll head over and read it now
Old 06-28-2006, 10:55 PM
DP77Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Check out the detail videos on Adam's web site before you make a decision. And it don't take all day.

I just did a black '04 Z06 for a friend. Looks like a piece of glass!

http://www.adamspolishes.com
Old 06-28-2006, 11:09 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DP77Vette
Check out the detail videos on Adam's web site before you make a decision. And it don't take all day.

Neither does Zaino.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:26 PM
DP77Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by mrosa65
Neither does Zaino.

I new that comment would get that response but that is NOT what I was saying since I've never used Zanio. I was just stating a fact about Adam's!!

But since you mention it, I read where someone did a C-3 with Z and it took 10 hours!

I just speak from experience with Adam's only!!
Old 06-29-2006, 05:26 AM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I new that comment would get that response but that is NOT what I was saying since I've never used Zanio. I was just stating a fact about Adam's!!

But since you mention it, I read where someone did a C-3 with Z and it took 10 hours!

I just speak from experience with Adam's only!!
I'm curious how many q-tips they used to apply their zaino if it took them 10 hours

Actually, it's all in the prep work. It doesn't matter which final product you use, it's all relative to the condition of the paint before you start. If your paint is in great condition before you start, then it's going to be a quick process. If your paint looks like trash, then it's going to need a lot more attention.

Even the Adams website shows all the various steps for prep work. If you watched and performed all the steps in the different videos on their website, I would bet it would take some serious time to perform them correctly on a car in bad shape. That doesn't mean it takes all day to apply the actual Adams products.

Get notified of new replies

To Adams versus Zaino

Old 06-29-2006, 12:54 PM
jangelo
Racer

Originally Posted by openhelix
Okay, not to start a holy war, but it's time to stock up on some decent detailing supplies. Outside of NXT which I don't particularly like, Adam's and Zaino seem to be the 800lb gorillas.

I've always detailed by hand, but it seems like a lot of people here have had great luck with the PC 7424. However, Zaino seems to feel a mechanical polisher is both a waste and unnecessary while Adams seems to be very pro polisher. I don't know how/if this factors into my decision.

Anyone have any thoughts on comparisons between the two? Maybe used both? Previously I've used mainly the Meguiars Pro line (7/9/wax, I think) applied by hand.
I have used Adams and Zaino both are good products. It depends on what kind of results you are looking for. My personal opinion Zaino is better. I recently have tried some of the Finishkare line and like the results. Durability seems to be there, shine and gloss is very good. I guess what others have said the prep work is most important. Try what you think is best if that doesn't work try another until you hit one that you are pleased with. Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

So I followed your advice and went to the Adams wesite. The following cut and paste is from their site. So if Zaino is all day then why isn't this?
How do I care for my new car?

People often believe that new cars need no or very little care. Not true! When vehicles leave the factory, they sit in dirt parking lots, they are transported by trains, trucks, or ships, and then they are subjected to harsh washing conditions at dealerships. This is how I spruce up a new vehicle:

Clean the tires with concentrated Simple Green and scrub off the existing greasy, oily tire dressing. Thoroughly wash and dry the vehicle.

Use Adam’s Detail Spray and a Clay Bar to remove rough surface spots and contaminants. Clay the paint, chrome, and glass. Leave Clay Bar and Detail Spray residue on the vehicle.

Rub Adam’s Vinyl, Rubber, & Tire (VRT) dressing on exterior rubber and plastic. Do the tires last.

Apply Adam’s Revive Polish directly over the Clay Bar and Detail Spray residue. Remove polish with a microfiber polishing towel. Follow with a fine coat of Butter Wax.

For interior detailing, rub VRT on the dashboard and door panels and use Adam’s Leather Conditioner every two weeks for the first two months that you own the vehicle. Leather is very dry in new vehicles, so be sure to moisturize seats and other areas frequently.

Maintain your vehicle’s shine by hand-washing and drying it regularly, and by using a mist of Adam’s Detail Spray on the paint and glass. You will have to reapply the water-based VRT after each wash.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:06 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Proper prep work may take all day but it is required no matter what last step product you use.

After my car is washed or properly prepped it takes me about 20 minutes to Zaino, no different than any other product on the market.

I am unsure why people seem to lump the prep work as part of Zainoing but not other products. Zaino is just one of the few companies that includes how to prep your finish properly as part of their instructions. Claying and swirl removal is not unique to Zainoing and should be done no matter what you use.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adams versus Zaino