Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

polished rims cleaner/wax

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:42 PM
madmxnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polished rims cleaner/wax

With the factory polished wheels, what's the best cleaner for brake dust and whats the best wax (so cleaning brake dust is easier). I've never had polished wheels before and I heard it easy to mess them up if you use the wrongs stuff. Please experienced suggestions only. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:18 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Factory polished wheels are clear coated and should be treated just like your paint. I keep Zaino Z2 Pro on mine and they clean right up with Soap (Z7) and water. If they have caked on breake dust I would remove it with a "One Time" application of wheel cleaner like PB S&R and then put a coat of Zaino on them and maintain with Z7 and water. If they are not that bad and just need a quick sprucing up I would use something like Fusion (ZPC) or another good mild paint cleanser and then maintain with a good sealant like mentioned above.

When it comes to painted wheels I feel an oz of prevention (a coat of Z2p) is worth a pound of cure (Acid based wheel cleaner) and you are better off maintaining and preventing brake dust from sticking rather than using harsh chemicals.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:03 PM
madmxnj
Racer

I'm with you on the prevention. When I first picked up a set of 2000 SS rims (painted 17") for my 98 Z28 I decided to try waxing them to see if it would help with the brake dust. Wow, what a difference. I was kicking myself for not trying this sooner. Every year when I would rotate and put the 17s on in the summer I would clean them and wax them, 2 coats of the armor all high gloss wax, and they would clean up all summer long with regular car wash. Now with the polished rims I'm heading into new territory. I probably won't get to it for a couple of weeks so there will be some brake dust to clean up, but I'll be pulling each rim off to wax em inside and out.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:55 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

yup. Gotta get her up on jackstands and remove her shoes to do it right.
My wheel treatment (Z2Pro) was about 6 months ago, and I think it's finally gone. I'm getting lots of residual water spots and rust after washing the car, on the barrels of the wheels, that I didn't get all summer. Time to take off her shoes and give them a full sealant treatment again with Z2. Probably twice a year for me is enough.

Another product I like is DP wheel glaze. It's more like a cleaner wax (like Meguiar's #6), so removal takes more work than Zaino Z2, but the advantage would be if you have some small tar spots, of if you just want some gentle cleaning properties for wheels that have not previously been treated. The cleaners in DP wheel glaze will take off that haze and leave you with a nice sparkle.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:28 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I use Meguairs cleaner wax on my polished wheels, as I do the rest of the car.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:15 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

For quick dusting on the C6 I use a Mini California Car Duster and then spritz them with Zaino Z6. Quick and easy.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:09 PM
madmxnj
Racer

If I use Z2 on the wheels, do I need to follow the same guidelines for using the ZFX as I would on the paint?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:55 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by madmxnj
If I use Z2 on the wheels, do I need to follow the same guidelines for using the ZFX as I would on the paint?

There are users who state they don't use ZFX and have good results. Personally I use it. Typically when I apply a coat to my paint I just add a little more to the bottle to make sure I have enough to give the rims a coat as well.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:07 PM
steck
Melting Slicks

mothers power ball (yellow mini) with Megs cleaner wax
Old 09-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Z06-Goose
Melting Slicks

I've found a product that will clean your wheels nicely, and will remove baked brake dust easily. It's a water based product called Oil Eater it's safe on my Z06 wheels, and on Chrome wheels, I have tested it on Chrome, but I would not recommended on uncoated aluminum wheels, as it will dull the finish. I did a test on a piece of raw aluminum sheet metal.
I follow up with RejeX and cleaning the wheels once a week it's really easy. The more often you clean your wheels the better. Using a sealant will definitely make the job much easier.
Hope this helps.
Goose
Old 09-28-2006, 06:21 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, use zfx with your z2 for the wheels.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:01 PM
madmxnj
Racer

What can I use as a safe cleaner? I'm guessing that Quicksilver is probably too harsh on aluminum wheels. What about Simple Green? Will that eat clear coat or wax?

Thanks for the help guys.

Get notified of new replies

To polished rims cleaner/wax

Quick Reply: polished rims cleaner/wax