Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino PC Fusion vs Adams Swirl and Haze

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:29 PM
BEKS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Zaino PC Fusion vs Adams Swirl and Haze

lots of info on Adams vs Zaino but help me and get a little more specific, I need opinions on Zaino PC Fusion vs Adams Swirl and Haze Remover. I am looking to remove, not hide with Z5, rather remove slight swirl and scratches.
I have used all Zaino products and dont want to switch any of them, but the PC does not seem to be taking out the minor swirls and scratches that I am removing. Is Adams more abrasive? Has anyone used both of these?
I am not using a buffer, all application are done by hand, any sugestions? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:36 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

The Adams stuff actually is more abrasive and is meant to be mixed with Revive to adjust the amount of abrasives. The more SSR you add to REvive the stronger it is. I am pretty sure it can also be used straight. Do you have both? If so you could use the Adams straight and then follow up with ZPC. If not, I would recommend something like Menzerna IP or 3m 39002 first and then follow them up with ZPC. You want to finish with ZPC to remove any oils that the stronger SSR left on the finish so that your Zaino will bond properly.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:36 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I have used ZPC and other swirl removers, but haven't had the chance to try the Adam's SSR. I do have to say that with the clearcoat being as hard as it is on a vette, I hope you have some VERY strong arms.

My suggestion would be to pickup a Porter Cable RO buffer and some quality pads and make short work of those swirls.

Autogeek was just running a big sale on PC kits. You may want to check them out.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:49 PM
BEKS
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by agentf1
The Adams stuff actually is more abrasive and is meant to be mixed with Revive to adjust the amount of abrasives. The more SSR you add to REvive the stronger it is. I am pretty sure it can also be used straight. Do you have both? If so you could use the Adams straight and then follow up with ZPC. If not, I would recommend something like Menzerna IP or 3m 39002 first and then follow them up with ZPC. You want to finish with ZPC to remove any oils that the stronger SSR left on the finish so that your Zaino will bond properly.
I do have both just havent used the SSR yet, but I will try that, thanks.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:52 PM
BEKS
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by mrosa65
I have used ZPC and other swirl removers, but haven't had the chance to try the Adam's SSR. I do have to say that with the clearcoat being as hard as it is on a vette, I hope you have some VERY strong arms.

My suggestion would be to pickup a Porter Cable RO buffer and some quality pads and make short work of those swirls.

Autogeek was just running a big sale on PC kits. You may want to check them out.
PC is on its way, I'm thinking that it might jsut be my Christmas present to myself!
Old 11-08-2006, 08:59 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even with a PC, depending on how bad the swirls are, you might still have a tough time getting the defects out on the PITA corvette clear.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:02 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gmblack3
Even with a PC, depending on how bad the swirls are, you might still have a tough time getting the defects out on the PITA corvette clear.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:03 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gmblack3
That's a true statement. That's when I break out the Hitachi rotary.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:40 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

John

I've never used a Milwaukee before so I can't speak from experience. I purchased the Hitachi earlier this year as it was my first "real" rotary. I don't have the experience as a lot of the pro's on the board do, but coming from a newB rotary user, I found the Hitachi a good machine.

It's got a nice weight to it, not too light or heavy. It's fully adjustable speeds make it great over some of the more bargain brands I looked at that had a more limited RPM selection. For me it was a good rotary to start with and "handles" very well.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:06 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Dennis

Instead of bashing on a product or company, why not be more constructive and suggest a product the OP can use to help solve his problem ?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:11 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'll certainly add to the Hitachi comments. I also bough the Hitachi rotary early this year and have been very happy with it. I have had the opportunity to use the DeWalt and find it to be a great rotary as well, but I got my Hitachi for 100.00 bones less.

The rotary really does help a lot on harder clears. With foam pads and most mild SSRs, you won't have any issues as long as you keep the rotary moving over the paint.

Todd
Old 11-09-2006, 04:27 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m in agreement with ZaneO et al a Corvette clear (a whole new definition in ‘Hard’) I don’t know of a hand applied product that will cut it (pun intended) sorry I can’t be more helpful

[Which would you prefer;] advice that comes from actual experience {or an opinion....?}
Old 11-09-2006, 06:02 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

I have used the Adams Swirl & Haze with a green pad with my PC with very good luck. Sometimes it may take a while to work a spot out on a vette because the clearcoat is so hard, but with few exceptions I have gotten the the finish back to swirl free with the Adams and a green pad with the PC. then i follow up with the Revive and either a white pad or orange pad depending on how much the finish still needed to be polished out.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Try Menzerna IP and FPII and and Orange pad with the PC. They are more effective and actually finish down much nicer than the swirl removers.

I agree with the others, I dont think you'll have any luck by hand.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:17 AM
BC Bob
Racer

Originally Posted by mrosa65

Totally. My black Dodge SRT Ram was covered with swirls from too many dealer washings. The PC with Griots orange polishing pad and Griots #2 polish followed by #3 polish took care of all the swirls. The polishes did not cover the swirls, they were removed. After that change to Griots red waxing pad and Zaino away.
I Zaino'd the Corvette in less than 15 minutes using the PC.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:02 AM
BEKS
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Great info, thanks guys. Sounds like Im better off waiting till I get the PC and then tackling this project! Now its just a matter of getting the PC without hearing from the wife say "you spent how much on more car detailing stuff?"

In using a PC has anyone had better or worse results with the Fusion or the Adams Swirl remover?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:47 PM
aedmonster
Intermediate

Guys, thanks for the Hitachi info. I think I'm going to try one instead of the Milwaukee.

John
Old 11-10-2006, 11:55 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of good advice above.
  1. vette clearcoat is much too hard for you to accomplish anything by hand.
  2. most definitely try a PC or other random orbital buffer first - they are safe, but that safety means that it will take you hours and hours to accomplish scratch removal on the Vette.
  3. I also have moved up to using a rotary. Besides the Hitachi, another very well respected machine is the Makita 9227C - take a look at that before you buy anything. Check other detailing boards and I think you'll see most pro's use that machine.
  4. Zaino PC is a GREAT way to finish up. But it is a very mild product (that's why it's great for finishing). For starters, use Menzerna Intensive Polish or 3M #39002, just as agentf1 said. These work great on the Vette.

Sorry, I have never used adams abrasive products, so cannot compare them. But the main point is that you will likely need something with more aggressive abrasives than Zaino PC-fusion, if you are using an orbital machine. With a rotary, in contrast, you can actually get some nice results with Z-PC. So some of your choices in products will be guided by which machine you have acces to.

PC + Z-PC , light cutting pad = mild, nice to polish out and give smooth gloss.
Rotary + Z-PC, light cutting pad = good swirlmark removal.
Rotary + Menzerna Intensive Polish, light cutting pad = serious scratch removal, also some serious risks if not careful.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:08 PM
BEKS
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

More Great Advice! Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino PC Fusion vs Adams Swirl and Haze

Quick Reply: Zaino PC Fusion vs Adams Swirl and Haze