Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

the cause of streaking??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 04:09 PM
JetJazz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default the cause of streaking??

Shine experts!

What is the common cause of streaking. My black C5 has good paint. I just waxed it with NXT but when I took if off, streaks everywhere. I rubbed forever to get them off. I use NXT and use 100% cotton terry towels to remove the wax. These streaks drive me crazy! Seems like no matter which wax product I use I still get streaks.

Zaino next?

Thanks!!!
Old 12-30-2006, 04:13 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

There are generally two main causes for streaking - application and environment (temp., humidity, etc.).

Modern products are made to be applied very thinly. You should barely see them going down.

If temperatures are low or if humidity is high, that is going to affect drying times.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:19 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meguiars had a batch problem with both #21 and liquid NXT. Call Meguiars customer service (on the back of your bottle) and explain your problem. Meguiars' customer service is very good and they should offer to send you a new bottle/paste (I would recommend the paste).

In the meantime, you can use a damp cloth to wipe the surface or reply the product and remove it while its still wet.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:57 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Jet

As already mentioned, streaks can be caused by a lot of different things. Humidity, prior products applied to the surface, etc.

As Todd (Th001) already mentioned, a damp cloth will remove the streaks. I experienced this with several products including NXT paste. In the case of the NXT, I'm pretty sure it streaked for 2 reasons, high humidity and my failure to remove the prior wax totally.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:09 PM
JetJazz
Racer

Thanks for all the replies! Great advice from all! I'm due for a good clay bar and wax. I may have to try this Zaino thing!

Happy New Year everyone!

JetJazz
Old 12-31-2006, 12:56 AM
rcmigpilot
Racer

Had a similar problem and traced it back to my towels. Wife used liquid fabric softner when she washed them. Try a new microfiber towel and see if it does any better.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:26 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't give up on the NXT until you talk with their customer service people. If you have previously used the product and like it, give 'em a chance and they'll fix the problem for ya.

If you're so inclined to give Zaino a try anyway, you'll be really happy with the durability, gloss, and will never get a streaking problem nor trim discoloration.

Z8 CAN cause streaking if you apply too much - use 1/3 of a spray for 1/2 the hood, for example. More than that is not necessary. All the zaino products will last FOREVER if you apply them very very thinly as per the instructions.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:41 PM
4DSZR1
Burning Brakes

I found that application uniformity was usually the probelm... I solved it by using this

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gll.0&MID=9876

Using this allows you to apply a very thin, uniform coat, making it easier to remove and you wont have any streaks on your black car. The applicator towels that come with it are a joke....places like GI Joes have 6 inch, terry cloth elastic bonnets that work great. It'll solve your streaking problems.

I use my PC for polishing and the Ryobi for wax application, regardless of the brand.

Get notified of new replies

To the cause of streaking??

Quick Reply: the cause of streaking??