Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What is the best and safest soap to remove all wax before Rejex application?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:04 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default What is the best and safest soap to remove all wax before Rejex application?

Hi All,

What is the best and safest soap to remove all previous wax from your car before you apply Rejex?

I tried to search and only came up with Dawn or the Zaino wash.
Is there somehting good I could just get at a local auto parts store that is safe that you guys have had good experiences with?

I have seen all the soaps at auto parts stores but which is the best/safest?

Thanks for your answers...
Old 01-09-2007, 02:17 AM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Dawn is recommended because of the high alkaline content will strip wax. It is not harmful. Repeated use is not good, but to strip off the wax it is perfectly acceptable. The damage is when nothing is put back on the paint, leaving it unprotected.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:31 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for the reply.
I probably only will use it once to strip the regular wax off and then use a wax safe auto wash after. I sure do have Dawn at the house so its easy to find!
I just wasnt sure if Dawn was safe. I had seen posts that said not to use it, but the posts may have been saying its not safe as a repeated use soap.

Thanks Again!
Old 01-09-2007, 02:34 AM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeDream
Thanks for the reply.
I probably only will use it once to strip the regular wax off and then use a wax safe auto wash after. I sure do have Dawn at the house so its easy to find!
I just wasnt sure if Dawn was safe. I had seen posts that said not to use it, but the posts may have been saying its not safe as a repeated use soap.

Thanks Again!
sounds like you got the right idea.

Post pics when you're done
Old 01-09-2007, 03:52 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not an advocate of Dawn use, but as a one off use it will not do any irrevocable harm to the paint surface.
If you find that Dawn will not completely remove the sealant (which is my experience (after all sealants are formulated to be detergent-proof) try a 1:1 solution of Distilled water / Isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
Old 01-09-2007, 12:56 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

You could wash with any soap you choose and do 50/50 alcohol/water wipedown when finished.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:55 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Dawn is good and not harmful for a one time use or as often as you want to strip your wax.

Follow up with a claybar and then the RejeX will look even better.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

How do I get Dawn to strip the wax off my paint? I wash my car with it, and it still beads up when it's rinsed off. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:31 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom/99
How do I get Dawn to strip the wax off my paint? I wash my car with it, and it still beads up when it's rinsed off. Thanks.
That's okay, I see this all the time when detailing other's cars. It will lessen it for sure.

Try using a stronger dawn mixture, or if you really want to strip it mix some vinegar in your water.

If your car's well kept, it will typically bead even if no wax is on it due to the surface not having any or much contamination on or in it.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:34 PM
TonyC6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoshVette
That's okay, I see this all the time when detailing other's cars. It will lessen it for sure.

Try using a stronger dawn mixture, or if you really want to strip it mix some vinegar in your water.

If your car's well kept, it will typically bead even if no wax is on it due to the surface not having any or much contamination on or in it.

If you've got a good prep base, good polish, the paint will bead up even without any wax or sealant.

T.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:37 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyC6

If you've got a good prep base, good polish, the paint will bead up even without any wax or sealant.

T.
Beading has nothing to do with what's on the surface, it due to ‘surface tension’.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best and safest soap to remove all wax before Rejex application?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the best and safest soap to remove all wax before Rejex application?