Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Best wax from auto parts store

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:36 PM
gee_kling
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best wax from auto parts store

OK - I've read about Zaino and Rejex and they sound great.
But what if I want to stop by the auto parts store (Pep-Boys, AutoZone, etc.) on the way home to pick up some wax.

What would be the best wax they carry?
I am most concerned about protection and durability as 2 of my vehicles live outside. Virtually every wax I've tried has given an acceptable level of shine.

Thanks - Gary
Old 01-19-2007, 01:47 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

For an over the counter product available at most parts stores and Walmarts, I would use either Mother's Reflections or Meguiars products. If you're worried about durability I would suggest you NOT use the Megs NXT line. From *my* experience, it looks great but has very short lived durability for a vehicle exposed to the elements every day.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:50 PM
gee_kling
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrosa65
For an over the counter product available at most parts stores and Walmarts, I would use either Mother's Reflections or Meguiars products. If you're worried about durability I would suggest you NOT use the Megs NXT line. From *my* experience, it looks great but has very short lived durability for a vehicle exposed to the elements every day.

Thanks for the tip on the NXT line - that was one of the products I was looking at closely.
All of the other Mother's and Meguiars products I have seen seem to be Carnuba-based. I doesn't seem like I would get very good durability from that??
Old 01-19-2007, 01:53 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Mothers Reflections would probably give you the best durability OTC. If you're simply concerned with appearance, Meg's #26 paste or S100 (carried by Harley Davidson stores) would be very nice options.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:23 PM
TonyC6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gee_kling
OK - I've read about Zaino and Rejex and they sound great.
But what if I want to stop by the auto parts store (Pep-Boys, AutoZone, etc.) on the way home to pick up some wax.

What would be the best wax they carry?
I am most concerned about protection and durability as 2 of my vehicles live outside. Virtually every wax I've tried has given an acceptable level of shine.

Thanks - Gary
Hey Gary,

If you have a True Value store in your area you may be able to pick up some Rejex locally. Keep in mind though that the Rejex is only a top coat sealant and if you need to polish, you're still going to need some other stuff.

If you don't want to mess with the sealant route and just want a good synthetic blend cleaner wax, Mother's Reflections is great stuff and available locally. If you want the polymer sealant and want to pick it up locally, Liquid Glass is a good product. It bonds to the paint just like Rejex and Zaino. And this one probably has what you're looking for in longevity.

And if you need to polish first, there are lots of good polishes from Meguires and Mothers, maybe even 3M available locally at most auto parts stores.

Shine on!
Old 01-19-2007, 06:22 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrosa65
I would use either Mother's Reflections or Meguiars products.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:47 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Mothers Reflections would probably give you the best durability OTC. If you're simply concerned with appearance, Meg's #26 paste or S100 (carried by Harley Davidson stores) would be very nice options.
I pretty much agree with Zane's selections.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:32 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Meg's #26 is really nice. That's a great product.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:20 PM
jangelo
Racer

Originally Posted by bugman
Meg's #26 is really nice. That's a great product.

Get notified of new replies

To Best wax from auto parts store

Quick Reply: Best wax from auto parts store