Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Which PC 7424 Kit to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:39 PM
ronniej
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Which PC 7424 Kit to Buy?

Ok, let's beat this again. With so many options, I'm not sure which kit to buy or just buy separate from Autogeek. I currently have Zaino, but haven't applied it to any of my current vehicles yet. My cars are new with the exception of my mom's car and my Vette. She has a Honda Accord with a weak paint job from the factory and my car could use a good cleaning. I don't want to buy a kit that has "extras" so to speak that will never get used. I want to buy a kit that will be fully utilized. I know every application or need is different, just want some type of direction from the car care guru's.

Last edited by ronniej; 01-27-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:20 PM
TonyC6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronniej
Ok, let's beat this again. With so many options, I'm not sure which kit to buy or just buy separate from Autogeek. I currently have Zaino, but haven't applied it to any of my current vehicles yet. My cars are new with the exception of my mom's car and my Vette. She has a Honda Accord with a weak paint job from the factory and my car could use a good cleaning. I don't want to buy a kit that has "extras" so to speak that will never get used. I want to buy a kit that will be fully utilized. I know every application or need is different, just want some type of direction from the car care guru's.
Well, it all really depends on what needs to be done to the cars, swirls, scratches, light polish, no polish, etc. And with several of the AutoGeeks kits, they are providing different polishes, waxes or sealants. You mentioned having Zaino, but not which products. You won't really even need a PC for the Zaino sealants. But assuming that your car needs some polishing, you will need the PC and a variety of pads. This kit provides you with the buffer and a basic selection of pads....no polish or wax.

http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html

This kit will get you what you need to get going for removing light swirls and scratches as far as the machinery and pads go. After you've tried them you will probably want to order a few more pads to help fine tune a little. Or if you decide just to go with the PC, just a velcro backing plate, and some 6.5" pads. The new CCS pads from Lake Country are great. I would suggest a yellow one, an orange one, a white one, and maybe either a black, red or blue one for some final finishing or applying LSP (last step product).

Then, you're going to need to decide what polishes to go with. There are plenty of choices. My personal choice for the polishes are Menzerna, but there are many other good ones and I'd say they are all pretty good if applied properly. Hopefully this will help you get started.

Last edited by TonyC6; 01-27-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:51 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I bought my PC at Lowes for 90 bucks and then bought my backing plate and the pads that I use the most from a vendor. I found I use white LC pads the most often and occasionally use orange LC pads for the tough scratches or swirls. If applying a LSP with it you will use a black LC pad. So I would get more white than the others. I also don't recommend any yellow LC pads for a ROB since I feel they leave too much micro marring but that is just my personal preference. I also use/like Meguiars and Edge pads.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:58 PM
BUSMAN C6
Pro

i just got the orbital p c from lowes model 7336 i think other than pads what else do i need and where to get?
Old 01-27-2007, 11:04 PM
ronniej
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks for the reply Tony. The Honda has some oxidation and I'd like to wetsand (2000 grit) my truck to get out some small imperfections in it. The rest is just basically polishing. I have Zaino, but haven't used it yet and may not even use it. I just saw so many options and wasn't sure what to go with.
Originally Posted by TonyC6
Well, it all really depends on what needs to be done to the cars, swirls, scratches, light polish, no polish, etc. And with several of the AutoGeeks kits, they are providing different polishes, waxes or sealants. You mentioned having Zaino, but not which products. You won't really even need a PC for the Zaino sealants. But assuming that your car needs some polishing, you will need the PC and a variety of pads. This kit provides you with the buffer and a basic selection of pads....no polish or wax.

http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html

This kit will get you what you need to get going for removing light swirls and scratches as far as the machinery and pads go. After you've tried them you will probably want to order a few more pads to help fine tune a little. Or if you decide just to go with the PC, just a velcro backing plate, and some 6.5" pads. The new CCS pads from Lake Country are great. I would suggest a yellow one, an orange one, a white one, and maybe either a black, red or blue one for some final finishing or applying LSP (last step product).

Then, you're going to need to decide what polishes to go with. There are plenty of choices. My personal choice for the polishes are Menzerna, but there are many other good ones and I'd say they are all pretty good if applied properly. Hopefully this will help you get started.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:07 PM
ronniej
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06

I went to my local Lowe's and they don't even stock it. The guy told me he could order it for $144.95. I even went online and checked the Lowe's surrounding my area and still nothing. Thanks for the info on the pads as that's what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Originally Posted by agentf1
I bought my PC at Lowes for 90 bucks and then bought my backing plate and the pads that I use the most from a vendor. I found I use white LC pads the most often and occasionally use orange LC pads for the tough scratches or swirls. If applying a LSP with it you will use a black LC pad. So I would get more white than the others. I also don't recommend any yellow LC pads for a ROB since I feel they leave too much micro marring but that is just my personal preference. I also use/like Meguiars and Edge pads.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:19 AM
ripen ls6
Racer

I went to my local Lowe's and they don't even stock it. The guy told me he could order it for $144.95. I even went online and checked the Lowe's surrounding my area and still nothing. Thanks for the info on the pads as that's what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Your best bet is getting your PC as a kit from autogeek as mentioned above. You'll get all the pads you need from the same place, you're saving money on shipping, and takes the guessing work out of the equation.
-M
PS: Lowes was selling the PC7336 at a great price, I don't think they carry the PC7424 I'm sure they could order you one.
It could be that you may have asked for the 7424 and NOT the 7336?

Last edited by ripen ls6; 01-28-2007 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:41 AM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

They're being discontinued at Lowes. Here's the info on them if you want to call some of the other Lowe's in your area.

Porter-Cable
Random Orbit Sander

Item #: 51472 Model: 7336SP

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=none&pad=true
Old 01-28-2007, 08:55 AM
RalphG
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

After asking advice here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1601832

I bought a PC 7336 from Lowe's and bought the edge 2000 wave pads from a local supplier. The Edge 2000 wave pads are idiot proof/noob whose never used a PC before proof. I used it the next day and it was easy with good results. Watch some of the online videos on using a PC.

If you can't get the PC from Lowe's autogeek has a good package with the PC 7424 and the Edge 2000 wave pads for $189.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:13 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

It appears that Lowes is removing Porter-Cable from its line of tools. As such you might be able to grab a machine at a heavily discounted price. If you can, grab it.

I would suggest that if you dont want to run around, and spend time and money trying to find one, you might wanna look at our kits. While no addtl discounts are offered, they are usually priced under most of the competition. Best thing, they all come at once without having to wait for one missing item or backordered product.

The Edge pads rock as they are two sided and dont use a backing plate. Truly the next step in pads. Lake Country pads are well known and the industry standard until Edge appeared. If you go this route consider the new CCS pads and a flexible backing plate. Good news, kits without buffers will allow the normal 10% corvetteforum discount or the Super Bowl deal thru next week for 15%.

www.autogeek.net

Get notified of new replies

To Which PC 7424 Kit to Buy?

Quick Reply: Which PC 7424 Kit to Buy?