Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

spotfree rinse

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:07 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spotfree rinse

anyone use a water deionizer for rinsing their car after washing to help get a spot free wash? I saw the Mr. Clean gizmo but doent look like it is very powerfull nor the cartridge long lasting.
Anyone tried Watersticks.com?
Old 03-11-2007, 11:17 PM
V4Vette
Racer

I have been using a Mr. Clean system for a couple of years now. I think it works great. You still need to use a sponge after spraying on the soap but I love the way the deionized water rinses the car and let's it dry water spots free. I do agree that the cartridges don't last very long, but then it depends where you live. If you have hard water it won't last as long.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:49 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I used the Mr. Clean system a couple of times and it worked fine. But now I just keep it waxed and use my leaf blower. The blower works best IMO. Finish off the few remaining drops with a microfiber towel.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:54 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I use the blower side of my shop vac.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:01 AM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Gotta get me a one!!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:04 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

I use my Mr Clean Auto Dry but fill it with Zaino soap! I like the MCAD because of the quick soap/wash/deionize dial and the deionized water really does dry without spots. If you have Mr Clean soap in the wand RISE IT OUT SUPER GOOD before adding Zaino (maybe other brands) of soap. I mixed Zaino soap with a little bit of MC soap and it made a reaction that turned my car all greasy and it took 2 hours of hard work to clean it off!
Old 03-12-2007, 01:13 AM
grifster
Pro

I use the Mr. Cleaner as water sprayer. I put the Zaino in a bucket and use the Mr. Clean for the Water Filter. After I do that I use my leaf blower to get all the water in the cracks and out of the lug area.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:24 AM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

I use Zanio wax, but have used the Mr. Clean system. I found that the soap was very good when my car or truck was really dirty. Seems like my black truck stays cleaner longer after the Mr. Clean soap and rinse. I still need to use a sponge or brush after I get the soap on and I find a towel is necessary for my black truck (but the water here in Las Vegas is very hard and the sun very hot). Pretty good system overall - I have one of the early ones and it leaks soap out of the fill port if I lay it on its side (don't know if the newer ones do the same). Cheers - Jim
Old 03-12-2007, 06:35 AM
jimmybobby
Drifting

knkali,
I used the MC system the other day on my 07 VY coupe. Did a pretty decent job. The real test was on my wife's Flint Mica Lexus. I use a leaf blower when I finish along with a towel and I still had a couple of water spots. It's not perfect, but it does work pretty well. If you do decide to use watersticks, let us know how it works. I checked out the website after I saw your post and now I'm curious. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2007, 07:10 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 866 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by V4Vette
I have been using a Mr. Clean system for a couple of years now. I think it works great. You still need to use a sponge after spraying on the soap but I love the way the deionized water rinses the car and let's it dry water spots free. I do agree that the cartridges don't last very long, but then it depends where you live. If you have hard water it won't last as long.
Works great for me. For some reason the color (VR) looks much deeper and richer after the Mr. Clean treatment. I still use a leaf blower to get the water out of all the crevices and blot dry with a micrfoiber towel.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:31 AM
legalgus
Burning Brakes

When I had a new water softener put in (goes in the garage), I had the plumber hook up a spigot (hot and cold). I attach a garden hose to the spigot and have hot/cold soft water, no spots. Works great. I note some people recommend leaf blowers to dry - I'd never do that. Too much chance of some particle getting blown out at high speed on the Corvette. May not have happened to some people yet, but it's not worth the risk.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:47 AM
c6 rocket
Drifting

Originally Posted by legalgus
When I had a new water softener put in (goes in the garage), I had the plumber hook up a spigot (hot and cold). I attach a garden hose to the spigot and have hot/cold soft water, no spots. Works great. I note some people recommend leaf blowers to dry - I'd never do that. Too much chance of some particle getting blown out at high speed on the Corvette. May not have happened to some people yet, but it's not worth the risk.
Good point about the leaf blower.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:59 AM
UNKNOWN
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by legalgus

Leaf blower speed is like 50 mph, you drive the car at 60mph all day long with rocks and brake dust all over.

why worry about particles blowing from a leaf blower?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:16 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by blznsdl

Leaf blower speed is like 50 mph, you drive the car at 60mph all day long with rocks and brake dust all over.

why worry about particles blowing from a leaf blower?
There becomes a point of diminishing returns on taking care of a car. Unless your car is a show car only, I think the odds of a leave blower doing any damage is pretty slim. Hell, even if it's not a show car I think that.

As proof, try riding a motorcycle down a freeway with you arms not covered (yes, there was a day when I rode in t-shirts - not any more). You will be amazed at how much stuff that you don't see it constantly hitting you.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:24 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Mr clean user here.
I've used it on black cars too,and as long as you follow the directions it works fine.Well worth the 20 bucks for the unit and the cost of refills,which are good for about 10 wash's.10x 8 bucks for a cheapy car wash= 80 bucks.you spent maybe 30.So,50 balloons saved or more!Oh,and make sure you wax it up after the wash as the soap will strip lots of wax because of it's makeup...not a bad thing,just a side effect.

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 03-12-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Nueboch
Burning Brakes

Spot free rinse for me, then a brisk spin down the highway. 15 miles later, back in the driveway, touch up any spots that are left. Simple, easy and I get a little ride as well...
Old 03-12-2007, 09:26 AM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

I've used the Mr. Clean, and it works well with the filter. On our Campers, we use water filters that hook in-line for the city water hook up. I'm going to put one on the water hose at home, and see what it does for water spots. The filter in the Mr. Clean does not last long, but if the RV filter works, they will last much longer. Griots sells a similar product to the RV filters, but it is costly.

Get notified of new replies

To spotfree rinse

Old 03-12-2007, 09:35 AM
eagle93
Pro

Do any of you guys that use the MC system have mineral deposits in your water? If so, does the MC take care of those? Water at my home contains a lot of lime, so I have to dry very quickly or get bad water spots. I use leaf blower and cotton towels as recommended by Zaino. But sure would like it if MC would reduce/eliminate this problem. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:39 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Do any of you guys that use the MC system have mineral deposits in your water? If so, does the MC take care of those? Water at my home contains a lot of lime, so I have to dry very quickly or get bad water spots. I use leaf blower and cotton towels as recommended by Zaino. But sure would like it if MC would reduce/eliminate this problem. Thanks for the help.
Well,it runs regular water thru the setup first,after the wash,you turn the dial and run the water thru the MR.CLEAN filter,which is where the spot free comes in.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:43 AM
eagle93
Pro

Thanks Jesse12804, sounds like a good purchase.

Quick Reply: spotfree rinse