Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Convertible Tops

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Vette/M3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Raggtopp

I used Raggtopp on my M Roadster and I was very pleased. Soon I'll have a C6 vert that I could also use it on.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ-LO
I've had my 2005 vert for almost 2 years. Other than a couple of wear marks from opening/closing, my black top is perfect. Water still beads up and I've only wiped it off with a microfiber towel while wet. Never used any soapy products and it's still looking very new. I also have it garaged so that probably helps too. Very little maintenance to date on it...knock on wood!
Ditto. No soap, air dry when possible in the shade...
Old 04-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Billtre
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were do you get Ragg Top in Canada?, The dealer?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

PLEASE DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID WITH MY C5.

I used Raggtopp regularly every 3 months from brand new and my tan top kept getting more and more leopard spots, growing from the bottom of edge of the top up. I tried everything, and I mean everything, to get the leopard spots off. I even met with Raggtop reps at SEMA but they couldn't help me. After 3 years I had to replace the top.

The old time top shop I used for replacement knew instantly what I had done. YOU MUST LET THE TOP DRY FOR A DAY BEFORE YOU PUT ON THE RAGGTO P PROTECTANT. I thought an hour or so was enough to dry it, and it always looked and felt dry, but I was trapping moisture under the Raggtop protectant and it was mildewing the top.

I've had my C6 for a year now and haven't used any protectant on the top. Nor do I plan to, the top still looks great.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:41 PM
John's '07
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: I don't deserve this car, but I have arthritis and I don't deserve that either. Bay Point, FL
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Joe_G

I used Raggtopp regularly every 3 months from brand new and my tan top kept getting more and more leopard spots, growing from the bottom of edge of the top up. I tried everything, and I mean everything, to get the leopard spots off. I even met with Raggtop reps at SEMA but they couldn't help me. After 3 years I had to replace the top.

The old time top shop I used for replacement knew instantly what I had done. YOU MUST LET THE TOP DRY FOR A DAY BEFORE YOU PUT ON THE RAGGTO P PROTECTANT. I thought an hour or so was enough to dry it, and it always looked and felt dry, but I was trapping moisture under the Raggtop protectant and it was mildewing the top.

I've had my C6 for a year now and haven't used any protectant on the top. Nor do I plan to, the top still looks great.
I am shocked the RaggTopp reps weren't aware of that problem. I've read several warning about it on C5 and C6 threads.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:22 PM
bugn
Racer

When spraying Raggtop any tips on how to keep from spraying on paint finish and windows? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:34 PM
PAVette
Melting Slicks

Good to know! Thanks!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:59 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Avoid Felix's detail shop in Jackson, Ms. Good mechanic. Does good work himself. He hired a new guy who actually took a high pressure water hose and flooded the interior of my friend's truck. Two weeks later, my butt continued to get wet after sitting in the truck for several minutes.

Sad, but really funny. No damage.

Felix is still my friend, but I have little use for that employee.

Ed
Old 04-05-2007, 01:02 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by ben dover
I've had great luck with Raggtopp.

Just used it for the first time.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:16 AM
az57chevy
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bugn
When spraying Raggtop any tips on how to keep from spraying on paint finish and windows? Thanks.
I lay a sheet under the top to cover the paint and windshield. Works like a charm
Old 04-07-2007, 04:35 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=fabric+tops
Old 04-07-2007, 07:20 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by az57chevy
I lay a sheet under the top to cover the paint and windshield. Works like a charm

I also draped a couple of sheets out to cover as much as possible, added newspaper where necessary, and masked off the back window. Took a little time, but no big deal and well worth the effort.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:29 AM
bugn
Racer

Originally Posted by az57chevy
Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:39 PM
RPOZ51
Race Director

Location: For the strength of the pack is the wolf . . . . . . and the strength of the wolf is the pack.
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

I've read other posts like yours before (maybe they were also yours?).

I am NOT representing that I am an expert. In fact, I'm anything but an expert. I've had Corvettes with Shale and Gray tops, and haven't had any problems with this approach:

1. Cleaning:
- If I'm taking care of the roof, as part of an overall car cleaning marathon, I do it first - before taking care of wheels,tires, paint or windows.
- If there are any strange spots, I attack them with Goof Off.
- Soak the top very thoroughly with the garden hose, then get out the RaggTopp cleaner and a big beefy sponge.
- I know some people use a brush, but I am very averse to any kind of rubbing or scrubbing, which can increase the odds of lifting the fibers of the material, or ripping the stitching. I believe the fibers are most susceptible to damage when they are soaked with water.
- Spray the top liberally with the cleaner, and work it in by squeezing the sponge (i.e. not by rubbing), making it nice and sudsy.
- Rinse everything down with the hose. If it's been a while, if I'm in a good mood, or if it looks like it needs it, I do another wash cycle. I've been told that if you can't get the cleaner to make a lot of suds, that means the material is still dirty.
- After I'm done washing, and thoroughly rinsing, I get out the shop vac, and go over it several times, trying to get out as much moisture as I possibly can. You'd be surprised at how much water ends up in your vac.
- Then, with the top up at all times, I put the car in the garage. I cover the top with an old sheet, to prevent any dusk or dirt that might be floating in the air to settle on it. Then, I "step away from the car." I come back in the next day or two, depending on the air temperature, to be sure the material had enough time to thoroughly dry out.

2. Treatment:
- The key here is to mask everything that shouldn't be treated. I don't know what the stuff will do to paint, or glass, but I'm not anxious to find out.
- First, I mask the window with several layers of newspaper, and blue masking tape.
- Then, I cover the car with two (2) of the cheapest disposable plastic drop cloths I can find - one for the front of the car, one for the back.
For the front: I open the roof latch, and raise only the front section of the roof. With the windows up, drape the cloth over the windshield and each window, pulling the drop cloth as far to the rear of the car as possible. Then I close the roof over it.
For the rear: I raise only the back end of the roof, drape the drop cloth over the waterfall, pull it as far to the front of the car as possible, and close the roof over it.
Then the fun begins.
- As I learned from my old car model spray painting days, shake well and often, and keep the nozzle a good 12 to 14 inches away from the fabric. I spray well above the fabric, and sort of let a cloud of spray settle on the roof (I probably waste a lot of stuff). For the first coat, I work from the front of the car toward the back.
- After the first coat, resist any temptation to go over a spot you missed, and let it sit for at least a half hour.
- RaggTopp recommends two or three coats of treatment. I generally do two. For the second coat, I go from left to right across the roof (at a 90 degree angle to the first layer). That should ensure the whole thing is covered.
- After letting everything sit for a half hour or so, toss the drop cloths, and the window masking, and you're good to go.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:16 PM
-CSHFLW
Heel & Toe

Default Top Cleaning

RPOZ51-

Excellent step-by-step on the vert cleaning method. Thanks for the great info. I picked up my '03 last fall and want to clean the top this spring. Looks like your post was from about one year ago. Any other "lessons learned" since?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2008, 01:06 AM
AntneeD
Racer

Raggtopp for FABRIC or VINYL??? Sorry couldn't find this anywhere....Is the C6 top fabric or vinyl? sorry I do not have my C6 yet...
Old 05-27-2008, 09:16 AM
RPOZ51
Race Director

Location: For the strength of the pack is the wolf . . . . . . and the strength of the wolf is the pack.
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by AntneeD
Raggtopp for FABRIC or VINYL??? Sorry couldn't find this anywhere....Is the C6 top fabric or vinyl? sorry I do not have my C6 yet...
The C6 top is fabric.

Quick Reply: Convertible Tops