Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Is it possible to clay bar too much?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:39 AM
Bullet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it possible to clay bar too much?

I've been clay barring before I wax the car everytime now. Seems to give the slickest and best looking finish. Is this ok?
Been using Liquid Lustre - pink colored wax for over 15 years now.
Thinking about trying RejeX.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:03 AM
ripen ls6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullet
I've been clay barring before I wax the car everytime now. Seems to give the slickest and best looking finish. Is this ok?
Been using Liquid Lustre - pink colored wax for over 15 years now.
Thinking about trying RejeX.
Claybar is great, and gives you a nice smooth surface to work on. With that being said, it's not a requirement prior to evey time you wax your car, unless you wax every 6 months or so, and the environment in your area forces you to do so, but that will be extreme.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:20 AM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some are definetly not going to agree with my opinion on this but I would, say yes, it is possible to clay a car too much.

Claying is an abrasive meduim that abrades away contaminents as it floats on a lubricating fluid. The problem is that claying does (in my experience) lightly abrade the paint can lead to marring. Depending on your analness (is that even a word, lol) you run the risk of inducing scratches in the clear coat that you may feel need to be buffed out, and thus I say you can clay to much.

I clay only when I feel it is necessary, and since it removes all the wax protection on the car and gives me a bar surface to play with, I take the opportunity to machine polish the paint and bring it back up to 100%.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:45 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TH0001
Some are definetly not going to agree with my opinion on this but I would, say yes, it is possible to clay a car too much.

Claying is an abrasive meduim that abrades away contaminents as it floats on a lubricating fluid. The problem is that claying does (in my experience) lightly abrade the paint can lead to marring. Depending on your analness (is that even a word, lol) you run the risk of inducing scratches in the clear coat that you may feel need to be buffed out, and thus I say you can clay to much.

I clay only when I feel it is necessary, and since it removes all the wax protection on the car and gives me a bar surface to play with, I take the opportunity to machine polish the paint and bring it back up to 100%.

But to a certain extent it depends on the 'grade' of clay used, I use Pinnicle or Sonus Ultra Fine Clay (they are both the same) on an almost monthly basis, because I'm an OCD (or my 'analness )

Get notified of new replies

To Is it possible to clay bar too much?

Quick Reply: Is it possible to clay bar too much?