Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Water Spots

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Sunset
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Spots

My son did me a nice favor and washed my car. He did not get all the water off and now I have hard water spots. I washed and waxed it this week-end , but I can still see there are spots. Anyone have a good way to remove the water spots.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:21 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

You can try the following

Claybar
Distilled water and white vinegar 50/50 mix in a spray bottle

If those don't work, a mild abrasive paint cleaner. I would try it by hand first, if you don't make any progress use a random orbit buffer such as a Porter Cable.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:59 PM
RAGOVET
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

I had the same problem and I used Zaino Z PC and it got it off. I think the new Z-AIO would also work. Any mild polish should do it. Buy a hard water hose filter for your water.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

haven't tried Zaino All in One yet , but a paint cleaner like that (in the old days I'd use Meguiars #6 cleaner wax) is a good place to start. If you don't a "paint cleaner" like that handy, move to a mild abrasive.

If you have a Zaino finish, just go over the area lightly with Zaino PC fusion and an orange pad , speed 5.5 on Porter-Cable. Those spots will come right off. You can just wipe off the dust, and reapply your Zaino sealant layers without any hassle.

Lake Country or Wolfgang pads (autogeek.net) have worked great for me with Z-PC
Old 04-30-2007, 04:09 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGOVET
I had the same problem and I used Zaino Z PC and it got it off. I think the new Z-AIO would also work. Any mild polish should do it. Buy a hard water hose filter for your water.
AIO will take water spots off, but keep in mind water spots are mineral deposits plus any dust particles that may have fallen on car while wet, or, in other words, very fine abrasive particles, so do the simplest, least destructive thing first, wash vehicle again, then dry properly, then use AIO, it will take whatever remains off
Old 05-01-2007, 01:03 PM
78L-82
Intermediate

What is the best way for removing water from the car?

Chamois?

Squeegie?

I'm really interested in this section. Most of the posts and discussion are way over my head.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2007, 01:28 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 78L-82

Chamois?

Squeegie?

I'm really interested in this section. Most of the posts and discussion are way over my head.

Thanks
Each person has their own method that they prefer. My opinion on this is "the less I touch my paint, the less chance of causing scratches".

With that being said, I use an electric leaf blower to remove the bulk of the water. I'll lightly go over the car with a good plush microfiber towel and some quick detail spray. I'm using a B&D leaf hog (BV4000) from Home Depot. It's rated at 230 MPH and dries the car quickly (under 10 minutes). It costs around 70 dollars.

Last edited by mrosa65; 05-01-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrosa65
Each person has their own method that they prefer. My opinion on this is "the less I touch my paint, the less chance of causing scratches".
and whatever or if you use a cloth, the less downward pressure, the less likely to cause scratches, even a leaf blower could potentially cause damage, if you have "clean room" quality space, use it, the rest of us will have to settle for the garage.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:34 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 78L-82

Chamois?

Squeegie?

Thanks
agree with mrosa.
the leafblower is awesome for this purpose, then finish with waffle weave microfiber towel. Don't use a chamois (flat, will only rub remaining dirt or dust into the paint, scratching it). Don't use a squeegie nor "California water blade" - though usually safe, if you have one small dirt particle, you'll drag it over the entire hood and scratch it.

Far better to use a leaf blower and not have to touch the paint at all.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:44 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bugman
agree with mrosa.
the leafblower is awesome for this purpose, then finish with waffle weave microfiber towel. Don't use a chamois (flat, will only rub remaining dirt or dust into the paint, scratching it). Don't use a squeegie nor "California water blade" - though usually safe, if you have one small dirt particle, you'll drag it over the entire hood and scratch it.

Far better to use a leaf blower and not have to touch the paint at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Water Spots

Quick Reply: Water Spots