Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Dura Shine!!! Have you tried it????

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 11:38 AM
mlinn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dura Shine!!! Have you tried it????

I saw an info-mercial on TV today about Dura Shine auto polish. I was rather impressed with the sheeting off action it gives you, as opposed to the beading that most waxes provide. I currently use Zaino and Liquid Glass and like them both, but my curiousity is really aroused with this water sheeting off Dura Shine.
:eek: I know for a fact that water beads dried in the HOT sun can cause some clear coat staining, so this seems to be a good idea. Has anyone tried this? What are your comments? Thanks...
Old 10-22-2001, 02:00 PM
Andy1983
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dura Shine!!! Have you tried it???? (mlinn)

If this is the same one that tests it with a laser beam.... I would stay the HELL away from it. I don't trust infomercials. :D
Old 10-22-2001, 09:51 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Dura Shine!!! Have you tried it???? (Andy1983)

Want my bottle? It's total garbage!
Old 11-02-2001, 07:56 PM
Rick Williams
Burning Brakes

I have been using it for years, on all my cars and truck. Everyone of my vehicles gets comments on the shine/ finish and there is no polish build up around mouldings etc. I like it for the ease of application and NO Rubbing to remove it.Just rinse under a water flow.
I think it's better for clear coat than for paint. If any of you have any to throw away I will take it..I like it.
Rick
Old 11-02-2001, 08:09 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That infomercial should be regarded as a comedy. Water can leave stains on the paint if you leave it there. Who doesn't dry their car after they wash it?
What about the magnifying glass effect part? That was really funny shyt.

Gimmick
well
you saw it on an informercial right?

[Modified by Smash, 6:10 PM 11/2/2001]
Old 11-04-2001, 08:57 AM
BIGMAC2
Instructor

I used Dura Shine on my daily driver Torch Red 1993 Lumina Z-34 with good results. For whatever reason, the paint, the flatness of the roof, etc. this car was prone to developing water spots worse than any car that I ever owned. The "sheeting" action of the Dura Shine did prevent further damage. The finish did hold up reasonably well, and I was pleased with the value I received when I sold the car in 2000 with 108K miles.

As with anything, there is a trade-off. The gloss was not what you would get with any wax/polish product; and for those of us "detail freaks" the lack of "slickness" and seeing those water beads was disconcerting.

Having said the above, I would NEVER conceive of using this product on a Vette or any "enthusiast" car. Dura Shine is OK for beaters only. I use Zaino on my C5, Eclipse GT, and Probe GT. Griot's Garage "Best of Show" wax is on the 300ZX and the Caddy STS. I can recommend both products highly.

Old 11-04-2001, 08:40 PM
marion
Advanced

I'm confused. Why don't you use Zaino on all your cars considering its durability and ease of use?
Old 11-04-2001, 09:04 PM
BIGMAC2
Instructor

Default Re: Dura Shine!!! Have you tried it???? (marion)

marion,

Good question. I have a supply of Griot's Garage "Best of Show" wax that I am using up. Both the Caddy and the 300Z are "White Diamond" and garage kept. I also have a supply of the Griot's "Speed Shine" detailer and car wash. Since I "baby" both cars the wax holds up. The 300Z is for sale and I will switch the Caddy to Zaino when the new ZFX product hits the street.

Get notified of new replies

To Dura Shine!!! Have you tried it????

Quick Reply: Dura Shine!!! Have you tried it????