Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How to remove dried tree sap

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 02:13 PM
saz25
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove dried tree sap

Hi, This is a car care question, ot related to Corvette per se. For my Corvette I am a happy user of Zaino.

My other car is an Acura MDX, on which I have a few dried tree sap globs. I tried to get as much off as I can using other car wash products. What would you fokls recommend to get rid of the dried tree sap? I'm not sure if clay bar would do anything, though I haven't tried it.

I parked somewhere months ago under a pine tree (or some type if evergreen tree) and it dripped. I didn't notice it till several weeks later
Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-24-2007, 03:32 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

HOT HOT water will work.

I've had good results using the white can of Turtle Wax bug+tar remover(It also say's it removes tree sap).

Tree sap is horrible, from when it's little dots to full on hardened.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:12 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try WD-40
Old 06-24-2007, 07:17 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I use a product called Poorboys Bug Squash ... allow it to sit for a moment or two after saturating. Wipes right up. If you want a solvent type product, look no further than Stoners Tarminator. Much harsher IMO, but works equally as well.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:42 PM
OTS_UFN
Racer

Mr Clean magic erasers work well, so does plain rubbing alcohol. Some say soft scrub works, never tried it. My ex-wife used brillo pads on my alfa many years ago
The following users liked this post:
Jeffrey22id (05-08-2016)
Old 06-24-2007, 11:36 PM
va-c5
Pro

Originally Posted by OTS_UFN
Mr Clean magic erasers work well, so does plain rubbing alcohol. Some say soft scrub works, never tried it. My ex-wife used brillo pads on my alfa many years ago
the rubbing alcohol does wonders .......just rub it on and wait and then rub it off........very simple....
Old 06-25-2007, 09:40 AM
RubberBill
Race Director

Location: "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb & silent we may be led like sheep to the slaught
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by va-c5
the rubbing alcohol does wonders .......just rub it on and wait and then rub it off........very simple....
Doesn't affect the clear coat????

I tried on my Dodge Intrepid company car several years ago and it appeared to dull the clear coat.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:55 PM
va-c5
Pro

no it does not.....the trick i think is to not let it stay on very long what i do is soak a microfiber towel with some rubbing alcohol then hold it on the stain for a few seconds the rub it off.......now this does remove any wax on the area so be sure to use your wax of choice back on....
Old 06-25-2007, 02:06 PM
saz25
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi,
By coincidence, one of the guys in my office had a white bottle of Turtlewax Bug/Tar and Tree Sap remover in the trunk of his car. So I tried it. It worked like a champ. No more tree sap.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-25-2007, 03:01 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Bug and tar remover works best imo and doesn't damage the clearcoat.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:22 PM
CarlR
Instructor

I would try some Goo Gone first. If I wasn't getting any results with that, clay bar would do the trick
Old 06-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I've used the Turtle Wax stuff, but the best thing is to use Menzerna FMJ on the car. Tree sap didn't stick to it .
Old 06-28-2007, 10:57 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tree Resin (Sap):
(Appears like a dark brown/ red coloured raised surface mark) some of the most common resinous tree sap types are: White Pine, Walnut (also secretes an oily residue) Maple, Oak, Popular, and Blue Spruce, none of which are water soluble, the acidic content of the sap will etch the paint surface; causing a concave surface.

1. A lot depends upon the type of sap, which is actually an acidic resin emitted from the tree, the resin deposits can be removed by allowing one of the following to dwell on the resin for approx five mins;
a) Isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
b) A safe solvent like Stoner’s Tarminator™
c) Turpentine, which is made from tree resins, in severe cases it can be used to break down the resin in tree sap, use as a last resort only and use sparingly and do not rub hard and give it some time to work (dwell) use detailer’s clay to remove any surface debris once resin is removed.

Be careful and take your time removing it, remember always let the products do the work for you. Tree sap that is still soft can be removed by soaking with Isopropyl Alcohol (or Stoner’s Terminator) wet the area with the product and allows it to remain on the surface for 3-5 minutes, then wipe with soft dry towel. For tree sap that has hardened, carefully scrape the top of the spot off with a plastic razor blade to expose the softer sap inside.

2. If it cannot be removed with a solvent you’ll need to use an abrasive product, starting with the least abrasive first;
1.Detailer’s Clay
2.A paint cleaner / polish
3.A polish or compound
4.Wet-sanding (I would advise you not to attempt this stage unless you have experience of this method as it can ‘break-through' the clear coat very quickly)

Once you remove the sap deposits, the paint or clear may be cracked, which may entail some expensive refinishing. Factors as to the amount of time it takes to remove sap and what damage it has caused are dependent on temperature and time the sap has been on the paint surface.

Apply Zaino’s ZPC Fusion with a foam applicator and then remove residue or soak a towel with the solvent placing it over the sap and let soak for 10-minutes, repeat in order for the solvents to break down the sap, once it’s removed re-apply sealant / wax protection of your choice. If the paint has been etched the surface can be levelled with a suitable polish and then apply a paint protection
Old 06-29-2007, 06:55 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sabooher
Bug and tar remover works best imo and doesn't damage the clearcoat.
Heat also work if it is old and dried. Heat gun works sometimes to soften. Let the bug remover blog and sit for 10 minutes to let work before wiping. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Phil Litteer C5
2nd Gear

Default Finally Cleaned Thanks to this Forum

I have tiny specks of sap (or something) all over the horizontal surfaces of my c
2004 convert. (paint is LeMans Blue.). Can't see the specks unless it is closely inspected, but they are there by the thousands and are very hard to remove. Feels like tiny specks of invisible sand all over the car. I tried Meguires Ultimate Compound, mineral spirits, WD-40, Turtle Wax Bug and Tar, nothing worked. Then I tried something suggested in the forum; I rubbed an area with my wife's kitchen stove glass top cleaner. She uses Pfaltzgraff Stoneware and Porcelain cleaner. It worked beautifully. It left the clear coat very slightly dull, but the "sand" type residue on the paint was gone. I finished with Meguires Ultimate Compound and have a beautiful shine. Now with a couple of coats of wax, I will be back in business. I wonder if this method will treat the "road rash" behind my wheels. (?) Any thoughts?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:09 AM
RubberBill
Race Director

Location: "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb & silent we may be led like sheep to the slaught
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I just found a new product made by Stoners Ink. It is absolutely the best product for removing Sap, Tar, Bug Guts, etc. without damaging the paint. Costs $4.00 and change at O'Reilly. Spray directly on the sap, count to 20, and wipe with a soft cloth. When done wash vehicle.

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove dried tree sap

Quick Reply: How to remove dried tree sap