Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Best way for interior clean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:12 PM
fastcavette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way for interior clean?

Hey guys:

I'm gonna buy a heavily-used car that's probably gonna need a very thorough cleaning - steam carpet cleaning and good washing of the leather seats. The car is a 1999 by the way.

Anyway, what's the best way for the cleaning? Should I take it to a carpet cleaner - the truck-mounted home carpet cleaning people - and have them steam clean the interior?

How can I clean the seats? I don't like Armour All because it makes everything too slippery.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:18 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Look for someone locally with an extractor, pay for the cleaning as only really needed once and you can keep up from there. As for the leather, buff after using conditioner to help remove any excess and slippery. Dont use AA on leather.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 PM
fastcavette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is an "extractor"?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:24 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

Just a suggestion when you have time. You would be surprised at how easy it is to remove the seats. I took mine out over a year ago to install my seat heaters, and while it was pretty clean to begin with, I gave it a thorough cleaning which was very easy.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:49 PM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fastcavette
What is an "extractor"?
Old 06-28-2007, 11:04 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heated water breaks down water-soluble soiling faster as it reduces overall chemical usage because it reduces the surface tension of the fibre. Heat acts as a catalyst promoting quicker reactions between chemicals and the soil thereby minimizing dwell time.

To remove stains the surface tension that bonds them must be released, then the stain encapsulated and held in suspension to be removed. I’m repeatedly asked which product is the best interior cleaner. There is no one-product answer; as the so-called all purpose cleaners (APC) do not remove every stain, different stains require different solvents to remove them.

When cleaning a stain, try detergent and water first. If this does not remove the stain, then try a stronger type cleaner) once fabric is clean apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard)

Between these cleaners you should be able to remove 99% of stains occurring in a vehicle and around the home – Start with a 10:1 solution and decrease dilution as necessary;
303™ Rug / Upholstery Cleaner & Spot Remover
P21S Total Auto Wash (its active ingredient is d-limonene (citrus)) a safe all purpose cleaner (APC)
Woolite® Heavy Traffic Carpet Foam or Hoover Deep Cleansing Carpet/Upholstery Detergent
Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover
PVC - 303™ Aerospace Protectant or 1Z Cockpit Premium.
Plastic - Plexus, BTI™ Chemicals Plastic Polish & Cleaner
Washable surfaces - Distilled water / Woolite 10:1 or 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover ™
Glass surfaces - Stoner's Invisible Glass and a ‘glass’ specific micro fibre towel
Wood surfaces – Klasse All-In-One (AIO)

Q: What is an extractor?

Using a Carpet Extractor:
An extraction system process is the choice of professional detailers due to its cost effectiveness, performance efficiency and time saving over conventional methods. Extractors work by using a cleaning solution dispensed from a tank that heats the solution to 200oF+ and is sprayed at medium pressure (50 PSI +) and a high volume from the machine via a cleaning wand; it is then filtered and re-circulated.

Extraction also allows the ability to remove cleaning residues due to its high suction power (100-inch water gauge +). Rinsed fabrics look and smell cleaner and resist soiling better. I know ‘lesser’ machines may give the appearance of a clean interior, but in reality, the soil is being migrated the bottom of the carpet, this dampened soil will cause mould / mildew formation as the suction lift on lesser machines is pretty much non-existent. Mould uses enzymes to digest nutrients from organic materials, the mould forms on top of the material and also down into its fibres leaving circular or black spots in an irregular pattern Dirt and moisture are essential to mildew propagation.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:49 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually do carpets with a bucket of hot water, a scrub brush, some 3M carpet cleaner & a shop vac. I spray the cleaner, let it soak, then scrub it with the brush. I use a wet or dry shop vac after to suck up the water. You really need the vacuum (extraction) to get rid of the dirt rather than move it around. If not, then you should blot with thick towels. For home or car carpeting, always use a vacuum w/the most suction power you can get - it's actually good for the carpet.

Another option is to rent one of the carpet steam cleaners from Home Depot - around $25 for a 1/2 day. They really work well. Some of the consumer/home vacuum steam cleaners come with attachments that will allow you to do auto carpeting, but they don't compare to the rental or pro units.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:53 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Extracting and the chemicals required are more in depth than what is needed for swirl removal.

Here is what I am dealing with today:

Thank god its a dark colored interior.

I used a steamer to clean all the hard surfaces and it took 90 mins.

I am going to vac the carpets for the third time before I use all the various chemicals to pretreat the different stains. Most of them are food (protein) based. Then I will extract with my Mytee 8070.

Will post up some good chemicals that are needed for various stains later this evening.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:54 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

That there is some serious abuse!!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:41 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

I can't believe that someone who smokes, eats, drinks, and spills all of it everywhere would even bother having you detail it. Looking forward to seeing after pics. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:17 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Yeah. That car is disgusting. Take those pics off!! Hurts to look at them!
Old 06-28-2007, 10:37 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started a new thread with the results:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1744706
Old 06-29-2007, 07:10 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Remove the seats. That is the only way to properly clean. You seats are probably interchangeable so move the driver to the passanger at the same time(dirver is ususally more worn).

rent a stamer for grocery or home depot.

Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Best way for interior clean?

Quick Reply: Best way for interior clean?