Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Leatherique Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:11 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leatherique Review

Manufacturers Claims (copy and pasted from Leatherique.com)

REJUVINATOR OIL - Known world wide for its ability to soften even cardboard hard leather. It is a complex blend of animal proteins, collagens, with absolutely no oil fillers of any kind. Totally unlike all other leather products, it will not stain or discolor leather. It is perfectly safe for equestrian use! Simply spray or wipe onto the surface and massage into the leather with your hands. Allow for it be absorbed into the fibers. Rejuvenator Oil has a unique capillary action which forces proteins into the leather and dirt out! Repeated use will keep leather in tip top shape. Use to condition and preserve all your leather cars, saddles, tack, furniture, motorcycle leather and even apparel. Prestine Clean is the perfect cleaner to use after each application of Rejuvenator Oil to remove the displaced impurities on the surface of the leather.

PRESTINE CLEAN - Absolutely the best cleaner available for all fine leather. Does not contain any harsh chemicals to dry and destroy fine leathers. Contains a conditioner which cleans and conditions leather, but to a lesser extent than our Rejuvenator Oil. Use to clean leather after the application of Rejuvenator Oil has done its job and as maintenance cleaner and detailer on an as needed basis. This product is also an excellent cleaner and conditioner for vinyl and rubber. Use Prestine Clean every time you wash your car.

Leatherique is a unique (compared to what I am used to) way to not clean leather, but it also softens the feel of the hide as well as restores the softness/feel. It is a two part system that works backwards to convention. After vacuuming the leather and making sure all the grime and particle build-up is removed, the conditioner ( Rejuvenator Oil ) is hand applied and massaged into the leather. The directions recommend allowing the interior to get warm (either by sitting in the sun, using a trash-bag and hairdryer, or running the car/heater) and allow the conditioner to "steam". After allowing the several hours (the longer the better), the excess conditioner and grime (that floated out of the seats) is wiped away with the cleaner (Prestine Clean). This is supposed to ensure that the hides are fully conditioned and cleaned from the inside-out.

Initial Impression- I first tried the Leatherique System because I was having a hard time getting the leather clean on a car I was preparing for the Ferrari Cavallino Concours Show in West Palm Beach, Florida. Using spray cleaners (Duragloss Leather Cleaner, Meguiars Gold Glass, Lexol Leather Clean, Zaino Z9) didn't have much cleaning ability, unless I scrubbed with a firm bristled brush. Even then this was a slow and tedious job, but more importantly I was also getting some dye transfer on the towel.

I called Brian (VASuperShine) and he had expressed that I need to try the Leatherique System (how it was gentle and floated dirt out, deeply reconditioned the seats, blah, blah..). When I next prepared the Ferrari, I had Brian along and apply the Leatherique to the interior.

Honestly, I was not expecting much. I was blow away. Not only did it remove all of the grim (easily) but it restored the original, Ferrari smell! (I should say that Leatherique is not scented like leather, and smells quite horrible). The leather was amazingly soft, and felt like butter. I was beyond impressed.

Here is a link to the detail of the said Ferrari. Brian can be seen applying leatherique about half way down (There is about 160 pictures on the thread, so it’s a long read).

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/...ight=cavallino

Since then, I have been using leatherique faithfully and often enough to give a review and share a small write up and some tricks.

PROS: Easily and safely removes the worst of grime and grease from the hides. Restores leather better than anything I have ever used. Restores feel, smell, texture, appearance. Really does seem to work from the inside out. Relative time spent is rather small.

CONS: Long dwell time. Requires at least 6 hours (in my experience) for full cleaning. Liberal amounts are applied of the both the cleaner and conditioner, so the product cost is pretty high. Can be pretty messy.

OVERALL: Simply a mind blowing product. The cost is high and the product takes for over to work (because it works better than anything else) but I am a pro, so I can charge for this. Every time I use it, I get excited because it never fails to impress. If you are an enthusiast looking for the best, then I think I have found it. If you are a pro, then you have something to step up your game with (and charge for, of course).

Tricks:

You can wear latex gloves when applying the oil. Not only does this keep your hands clean (the conditioner is a little tacky) but it also gives you a good base when you need to add more. The product will spread and work quickly, but will thin quickly, and when the gloves "stick" to the leather, its time for more oil.

Apply both the oil and prestine clean by spraying on. This really eases the application of the oil and cleaning of it. It is much easier to apply the products with out having to pour it into your hands (and spill) and wipe it quickly. Buy some sprayers at Wal-Mart and thank me later!

Allow to dwell for as long as possible in as much heat for as long as possible. The longer the oil sits the easier it comes off. The warmer the climate inside the interior, the better the oil works and easier it comes off.

If it’s difficult to remove (it can be try the following)... Apply more prestine clean (I use the sprayer) and wipe with a clean cloth. Sometimes you have to use a lot of it. If it’s still difficult to remove, try heating the interior (pull it in the sun, turn on the engine and heater, or wipe with a hot rag). I have found the longer I can let it dwell and the warmer the interior temperature is while its dwelling have a SERIOUS impact on the ease of removal.

A quick write up.

I am working on this 1994 Trans Am 25th Anniversary. This car is rough (for those who say I am spoiled too much ) with mold on the outside (it has sat out for the last 5 years) and a disgusting white leather interior.

When I first moved the car (the owner has left it my house for the last couple weeks as I have been busy and am working on it on spare time), I noticed how nasty the interior was, and I knew the first thing I would grab for was the leatherique. The seats where dry as cardboard and smelled funky (the mildewy old car smell).

I don't know how well the pictures came out, but the difference has been dramatic.

Here is a before of the passenger seat...

Here is the rear seat after being wiped with Prestine Clean.

Afters of the passenger seat (Leatherique was allowed to dwell for 5 hours in the sun, at about 85 degrees out).

Here are a couple half and halfs of the drivers seat..

I had noticed that while most of the dirt was removed (easily) the seats still felt a little dry and there where some spots that needed a second application. I applied the second coat of Rejuvenator Oil early the next morning and left the Trans Am in the sun the entire day. Not only are the seats and leather amazingly soft and supple, but the smell in the car (the next day) is beyond amazing. Also, all the dirt and grime came off (and out from the inside). It is truely a transformation!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Former Vendor

Here are a couple "in progress" shots of Brian and I using the products in our clients' cars..

Old 12-27-2007, 06:17 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Todd, I just read your review on Autopia besides speaking to you in person about it.
Nice write up, this is a product line that I will be adding to my arsenal this new year along with a new pricing system to match the quality.
Thanks,
Josh
Old 12-27-2007, 06:17 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

We at Autogeek have offered and believed in the Leatherique line for many years. While it is a bear to use properly and follow directions, it clearly works and works well. Even on coated leather (most GM products) it seems to make softer and more supple too. Nice review on a great product !!
Old 12-27-2007, 06:44 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

While I like Z9/Z10, I definitely think there has to be something better.
I will certainly investigate this a little more.
At first glance I didn't think there was a huge difference in those white seats, but those side by side shots,
As always, great info.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
We at Autogeek have offered and believed in the Leatherique line for many years. While it is a bear to use properly and follow directions, it clearly works and works well. Even on coated leather (most GM products) it seems to make softer and more supple too. Nice review on a great product !!
With 20 percent off at autogeek, I don't think you can pick up a better product for cheaper... wow.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:36 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Yes, I have been using it for a few years and LOVE IT. Leatherique is why my 2002 Z06 seats still look like new and anybody with a Vette knows how fast vette seats wear. I use Leatherique twice a year and maintain with Z9 and Z10 monthly and my seats literally look like the day I bought my car. Amazing stuff.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:44 PM
GS4-LT1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TH0001, YOU ROCK!!! I would love to spend just one day in your shop to watch you work. You do a beautiful job. That Ferrari detail was nuts. My hat is off to you!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 05:25 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-29-2007, 10:10 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leatherique IMO is an expensive way to treat polyurethane

Leather Care / Cleaning / Maintenance–my first question when asked for recommendations on leather care / maintenance is; what kind of leather finish is it? There are three main types: Natural (Uncovered) Covered and Unfinished (Nubuck)

Before using a leather care product a detailer needs to know the material they are working on, and wither the product chosen is compatible with the material and will not damage it. Diagnosis is the key, not guess work. Before deciding on what products to use you need to ascertain what type of leather finish you have and wither the leather has a polyurethane covering, or is (un-coated) natural leather, as the cleaning / maintenance varies as to type; although they all require a water-based product to re-hydrate, a suede type leather like Nubuck is the exception.

Many of the newer vehicles do not use natural leather hides anymore Approximately 80% of vehicle manufacturers are using (thermoplastic) polyurethane covered pigmented leather for their interior upholstery. Pigmented leather simply means that the finished leather or polyurethane covering has been coloured (you’ve never seen grey cows have you?)

Automotive leather upholstery is made from natural chrome tanned hides, which is pigmented and some are then further sealed by a durable polyethylene covering to make it more viable for automotive seating protecting the hide from abrasion from clothing as well as the dust / dirt introduced by the vehicle’s AC system. It retains the softness of natural top-grain leather but resists fading in direct sunlight, which besides body oil is leathers worst enemy.

The complex tanning process of chromed tanned hide’s results in the fat liquoring and oils necessary to keep the hide soft and pliable being locked in and therefore there is no need to supplement them. Traditional type conditioner’s cannot penetrate the finished hide, but rather sit on the surface until they are removed by contact with clothing or evaporate. The same is true of most oil-based conditioners, but they will also have an adverse effect on polyurethane.

Water-based leather care products will permeate the finished leather or the polyurethane covering as its molecules are much smaller; oil has larger molecules than water and are unable to penetrate

Great detailing on the vehicles TH0001, as always
Old 05-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Yaroslav
Burning Brakes

Yesterday i got these bottles but absolutely dont know how to use it.
Please help with advices "HOW TO USE"
Thanks!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:26 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Leatherique is one of the most amazing leather products I have ever used and the main reason my z06 seats still look like new after 15,000 miles. I use it twice a year on all my cars.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:37 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Surface Preparation-Leatherique Prepping Agent will remove silicone, wax, dirt, oil, mould, toxins, perspiration and residue from the surfaces to enable proper adherence of the applied product (repairing cuts, cracks or leather surface restoration dye) non-toxic, non-flammable and biodegradable, the formulation safely cleans and prepares all leather surfaces. Ensure a dirt and dust free environment, with adequate ventilation, preferably indoors.

Methodology
•Clean leather surfaces with a 6:1 solution of Water / Woolite®
•Scrub surface with synthetic steel wool #0 and Super Prepping Agent, sand the surface in a circular motion, then wipe with the prepping agent.
•Wet-sand surfaces with 240 and 400-grit abrasive papers and a 5:1 lubricant solution (distilled water/Woolite®) to remove existing dye.
•Use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any abrasive dust
•Wipe all surfaces with a clean, damp100% cotton Micro fibre towel
•Put prepping agent into a fine-mist spray bottle or flask
•Liberally spray a 100% cotton terry towel
•Apply to surfaces with a gentle scrubbing motion to remove any silicone, oils or other contaminants
•Rinse the towel frequently with clean warm water
•When complete wipe all surfaces with a clean, dry 100% cotton Micro fibre towel

Surfaces are now ready for leather restoration repairs or the application of a leather dye

Note: providing you are using these products on non-coated (polyurethane covering) leather they are amongst the best (although my preference for all types of lather is a water-based product)
Old 05-25-2008, 08:15 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

I bought the leatherique kit a couple of months ago, but have waited for the right time to try it out.
I finally got around to using it the other day, but couldn't start until about 4:00 pm. I had it in the sun, but given the time of day, I ended up letting it sit outside over night and waited until late the next afternoon to go to step two. Everyone asked me why I was leaving the vette outside .
It ended up with a few good hours in the sun the first day, then a nice sunny day the next.
Went to work on step two, and I was surprised how much dirt seemed to be coming off of my "clean" interior.
I used it on the dash and door panels as well, and I like the finish.
I can't say there is a night and day difference, but I am happy with the results. I will probably do this twice/year as mentioned.
Remember, the rejuvinator step goes FIRST.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Yaroslav
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Surface Preparation-Leatherique Prepping Agent will remove silicone, wax, dirt, oil, mould, toxins, perspiration and residue from the surfaces to enable proper adherence of the applied product (repairing cuts, cracks or leather surface restoration dye) non-toxic, non-flammable and biodegradable, the formulation safely cleans and prepares all leather surfaces. Ensure a dirt and dust free environment, with adequate ventilation, preferably indoors.

Methodology
•Clean leather surfaces with a 6:1 solution of Water / Woolite®
•Scrub surface with synthetic steel wool #0 and Super Prepping Agent, sand the surface in a circular motion, then wipe with the prepping agent.
•Wet-sand surfaces with 240 and 400-grit abrasive papers and a 5:1 lubricant solution (distilled water/Woolite®) to remove existing dye.
•Use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any abrasive dust
•Wipe all surfaces with a clean, damp100% cotton Micro fibre towel
•Put prepping agent into a fine-mist spray bottle or flask
•Liberally spray a 100% cotton terry towel
•Apply to surfaces with a gentle scrubbing motion to remove any silicone, oils or other contaminants
•Rinse the towel frequently with clean warm water
•When complete wipe all surfaces with a clean, dry 100% cotton Micro fibre towel

Surfaces are now ready for leather restoration repairs or the application of a leather dye

Note: providing you are using these products on non-coated (polyurethane covering) leather they are amongst the best (although my preference for all types of lather is a water-based product)
THANKS SO MUCH!

And how to use CRACK FILLER AND LEATHER DYE?
Old 05-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Yaroslav
Burning Brakes

I will explain. After i cleaned the leather in my Q7(biege leather) by prepping agent,i left big black spot. Now i dont know what to do and how to paint it...

May be there is a video in youtube with real life example?

Get notified of new replies

To Leatherique Review

Quick Reply: Leatherique Review