Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

1Z Lackfinish Detail-Spray Product Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:28 AM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1Z Lackfinish Detail-Spray Product Review

A couple of weeks ago I was the lucky winner of an Autogeek product review thread. Autogeek shipped me a bottle of 1Z Lackfinish Detail-Spray to try out. The product can be found at: http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...ckfinish-.html

To my surprise, they also sent a MF towel to apply the detail spray. This is one of their new thick towels called Supreme Buff Microfiber. I didn’t think the thickness mattered (wait for it…), but that towel is fantastic and thickness does matter. It was really nice to use this towel and it is now my favorite towel. You can find it here: http://www.autogeek.net/supreme-buff...ber-towel.html .

Alright, back to the Lackfinish Detail Spray. My regular detail sprays are Zaino Z6 or Meguiar’s Ultimate Quick Detail. Both work really well on dark paint leaving no streaks. I have also used Adams Detail Spray and like it on lighter color paint. I seem to get inconsistent results with Adams sometimes leaving dark streaks in darker paint.

The test vehicles were my 2002 Mustang GT (Mineral Grey paint) and 2007 Corvette (Monterey Red paint). I recently detailed both using a PC with Menzerna SIP and Nano Polish on both followed by carnauba paste wax. While the paint on the Mustang is 6 years old, it is still in very good condition.

The Mustang is always the test vehicle so it went first. The first thing I noticed was the smell of Lackfinish. It smells more like a medicated lotion than a detail spray. But it wiped on and wiped off very easy. I have never used a spray wax, but this product is probably similar to a spray wax. In other words, it feels like something is being applied to the paint to coat it. My other detail sprays don’t feel like there is any residue that is being applied. Lackfinish buffed to a very high gloss and looked great on the Mustang. So it passed the test to move on to the Vette.

The Vette had a very light amount of dust from being driven one day. The bottle says it “gently cleans and protects the paintwork between regular washings with a dust-repellant, gloss enhancing was-like finish”. The product cleaned the dust very nicely just like my other detail sprays. However, since Monterey Red really acts like a much darker color, I noticed that it left very small amounts of product streaks. I had to use another clean MF towel to get the Lackfinish streak free. It was not like the streaks I’ve seen from Adams DS. This is different than streaks; it’s more like the haze from the product is still on the paint. I’m very picky and could see it left on the paint after the initial spray and wipe down. But it buffed off nicely on darker paint, it just takes another pass to buff it all off. As far as the claim for dust-repellant; it’s not anymore dust repellant than my other regular sprays. It did a great job on my chrome wheels with a days worth of Z51 brake dust, I did not see any streaks and they looked great after a wipe down using Lackfinish. But driving the car to work and home, it still had the same daily dust and brake dust on the wheels like usual.

Overall, I would say this is a good product but would be better suited for lighter paints or someone who does not mind an extra wipe-down with a second MF towel to get the high gloss results. I might even consider it a cross between a detail spray and a spray wax. Water does bead after a coat of Lackfinish, but not noticably more than my regular detail spray.

Here are a few Pics of the final results (FYI: the white streak on the hood of the Vette is a jet vapor trail reflection, not a streak):

Old 06-03-2008, 10:43 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

excellent write up, I have a bottle to try out as well and post up my results.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 AM
dougatl
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Both cars look great, love the red on the Vette.
doug
Old 06-03-2008, 11:08 AM
0Z06Joe@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Nice write up indeed!!! I will be interested to see how it turns out on Evils Yellow vert.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:57 AM
0Autogeek.net
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write-up! Your findings were very similar to mine and others. Lackfinish does tend to behave more like a spray wax in the sense that you're spreading it around with your first towel, and buffing with the next.

Many have diluted Lackfinish and have had great results. I would recommend putting some in a spray bottle + diluting it some (50/50 water/Lackfinish). If you try this be sure to update us!

Thanks for your review

PS those towels ARE indeed awesome!
Old 06-03-2008, 01:36 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

The Einszett Perls Car Wash already has the same polymers from Lackfinish in it. Another nice product for those looking for additional gloss in a more All-in-one type setting.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 06-03-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:53 PM
l1dws
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info. If you are going to dilute with water, use distilled water which will give you great results over regulat tap water.

Get notified of new replies

To 1Z Lackfinish Detail-Spray Product Review

Quick Reply: 1Z Lackfinish Detail-Spray Product Review