Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I am interest in correcting my paint on my Vette...It is Dark Green...

I need more info on what Menzerna Polishing Compounds and pads will be needed.

The paint is swirled with some deeper scratches and scuff marks. I will clay first and then use Menzerna, wash with dawn and then ole trusty Zaino. What would you suggest I use to correct my scratches/swirls/scuff marks..

Thanks!

Adam
Old 02-18-2009, 03:38 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Boca
I am interest in correcting my paint on my Vette...It is Dark Green...

I need more info on what Menzerna Polishing Compounds and pads will be needed.

The paint is swirled with some deeper scratches and scuff marks. I will clay first and then use Menzerna, wash with dawn and then ole trusty Zaino. What would you suggest I use to correct my scratches/swirls/scuff marks..

Thanks!

Adam

Adam,

Do you own a buffer ?? If so what type ??

Most suggest a combo of Menzerna SIP with orange pad and then Menzerna Nano polish with a white pad on buffer. You however suggest that the scratches are deeper, so you may need a rotary buffer and a wool pad or two. Id suggest calling us, its toll free and speaking with Dwayne, Meghan, or Jason. Tell them your from the forum and they will help once they can find out the items you have and then provide a list of whats needed.

By the way ... no real need for Dawn in car care. Even if using Zaino as your protection, abrading the surface with a polish like Menzerna removes all the old wax and contaminents anyways. It can dry out your weatherstripping over time, so just a suggestion. And If using Zaino Id suggest Z5Pro once done with Menzerna.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:05 AM
eegxo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here i just want to share some idea about car care, car detailing. I own a blog talking about car care simple tips. May you see it. hopefully it can help you. glad to sharing.. cheers.
==HEAVENS OF CAR LOVER==
Old 03-01-2009, 07:40 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by eegxo
Here i just want to share some idea about car care, car detailing. I own a blog talking about car care simple tips. May you see it. hopefully it can help you. glad to sharing.. cheers.
I am not sure this should be linked to a vendors post/sticky specifically. You might wanna offer a post below for forum members. We also offer an area for best results :

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 AM
mr canuck
Advanced

I have ordered Wolfgand total swirl remover and I like the product but I still see a few minor swirls and I'm thinking of ordering mezerno SIP.Is this product any better or should I just stay with Wolfgand.I use a PC 4230.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:19 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mr canuck
I have ordered Wolfgand total swirl remover and I like the product but I still see a few minor swirls and I'm thinking of ordering mezerno SIP.Is this product any better or should I just stay with Wolfgand.I use a PC 4230.
SIP is close enough to Total Swirl Remover 3.0 that you really dont need both. I personally find TS with orange pad / TS with white pad / and FG with grey pad to be quite the ticket !
Old 03-16-2009, 02:07 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

I purchased the Menzerna Flex XC3401 Ceramic Show Car Kit in January ( Thanks) and have been looking forward to using it. I wanted to ask you what wax you recommend for the final step, but in reading this helpful thread I see that you answered my question already: Pinnacle Souveran. However, I became confused looking at the many choices, such as:

Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Paste Wax
Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax
Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Wax with Polycharger

Are any of these recommended, or is there another Souveran Wax I should be looking at in particular?

Also, I have leftover wax from another kit: “A---’s Buttery Wax.” It contains both carnauba and polymers. Would this be okay to use up first?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 05:15 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by vetteuphoria
I purchased the Menzerna Flex XC3401 Ceramic Show Car Kit in January ( Thanks) and have been looking forward to using it. I wanted to ask you what wax you recommend for the final step, but in reading this helpful thread I see that you answered my question already: Pinnacle Souveran. However, I became confused looking at the many choices, such as:

Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Paste Wax
Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Spray Wax
Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Wax with Polycharger

Are any of these recommended, or is there another Souveran Wax I should be looking at in particular?

Also, I have leftover wax from another kit: “A---’s Buttery Wax.” It contains both carnauba and polymers. Would this be okay to use up first?

Thanks

Souveran Paste Wax is often talked about in many posts as its a show quality wax. You could consider its little brother Pinnacles Sig Series II Paste Wax if you wanted a little longer protection is adds the polymers like that "other" (smiles brand). Dodo Waxes Hard Candy is another paste wax that would bring some rewards to such a sweet color. The Souveran Spray Wax version can be used over any wax or sealant to add that "just waxed" look.

And yes you "could" use up that other wax first as wanted, just remember when you change and try one of the three I suggested above dont blame me if you wish you did so sooner !!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:26 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Souveran Paste Wax is often talked about in many posts as its a show quality wax. You could consider its little brother Pinnacles Sig Series II Paste Wax if you wanted a little longer protection is adds the polymers like that "other" (smiles brand). Dodo Waxes Hard Candy is another paste wax that would bring some rewards to such a sweet color. The Souveran Spray Wax version can be used over any wax or sealant to add that "just waxed" look.

And yes you "could" use up that other wax first as wanted, just remember when you change and try one of the three I suggested above dont blame me if you wish you did so sooner !!
Thanks for your response
Old 03-17-2009, 05:13 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

We appreciate you considering Autogeek.net for your car care purchases !!
Old 03-20-2009, 10:28 AM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably been covered before but keeping a black car swirl free is next to impossible. I've been a long time user of Zaino products and have tried their swirl remover but with unsatisfactory results. I love the durability and shine of Zaino but it doesn't really stack up on finishes that are less than perfect. I want to start over and try a new approach and am considering Turtle Wax Black Box even though as a rule their products aren't highly praised on the Forum. I have a buffer and really need a polish that can reduce the oxidation and swirls on my black car without the possibility of further damage. I'd love to have it professionally buffed and detailed but I live in a remote area where detailers are as rare as good economic news What would you recommend as a starting point? Thanks
Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 99blackcoupe
Probably been covered before but keeping a black car swirl free is next to impossible. I've been a long time user of Zaino products and have tried their swirl remover but with unsatisfactory results. I love the durability and shine of Zaino but it doesn't really stack up on finishes that are less than perfect. I want to start over and try a new approach and am considering Turtle Wax Black Box even though as a rule their products aren't highly praised on the Forum. I have a buffer and really need a polish that can reduce the oxidation and swirls on my black car without the possibility of further damage. I'd love to have it professionally buffed and detailed but I live in a remote area where detailers are as rare as good economic news What would you recommend as a starting point? Thanks

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-ceramic-kit.html

The Menzerna polishes work much easier on the Vettes coat, and this kit has everything needed for a PC or G110. If you have a Flex, we have that kit also. You can still use the Zaino sealants (Z2, Z5) as wanted also for protection.

Try to use good washing and drying techniques which will reduce swirls too, if you need hints just ask !
Old 03-31-2009, 07:06 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Just finished the car using the Menzerna Flex Ceramic Show Car Kit and I am very pleased I do have a quetion that I have seen addressed at least once or twice before but cannot locate the thread, so I hope you don't mind me asking here...

How should I store the foam pads after I've cleaned them? Should they be stored while the pads still retain a slight bit of moisture in a sealed plastic bag (Ziploc) or allowed to dry thoroughly before protective sealing? Thanks!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by vetteuphoria
Just finished the car using the Menzerna Flex Ceramic Show Car Kit and I am very pleased I do have a quetion that I have seen addressed at least once or twice before but cannot locate the thread, so I hope you don't mind me asking here...

How should I store the foam pads after I've cleaned them? Should they be stored while the pads still retain a slight bit of moisture in a sealed plastic bag (Ziploc) or allowed to dry thoroughly before protective sealing? Thanks!
Dry completely ... then store in ziplocks or outside of dust/contaminents.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:38 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Thanks for another fast response and sharing the wealth of your experience
Old 03-31-2009, 07:42 PM
lilredc4
Instructor

Default Newbie Question

Hi Guy's I have a 92 that is in very good condition (Paint wise) but i do not believe that it has ever had a good cleaning. I am new to this and know almost nothing about polish, clay bar etc. can someone help me out with what i need to clean the finish and add a deep wax look, without damaging the finish?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:34 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by lilredc4
Hi Guy's I have a 92 that is in very good condition (Paint wise) but i do not believe that it has ever had a good cleaning. I am new to this and know almost nothing about polish, clay bar etc. can someone help me out with what i need to clean the finish and add a deep wax look, without damaging the finish?
I highly suggest studying this area first ...

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Then decide on your comfort level as to each step in detailing.

Washing --- Claying --- Polishing (or paint cleansing) --- protection

Claying is much more simple and you will do well. As long as you use lubrication and cup the clay (not grind) along finish youll be amazed at what it pulls off and out.

Polishing is a necessary evil, in which a machine is needed and abrasive polish. It removes old waxes, oxidation, and swirls if done properly. Slow and patience is the key and a safe buffer (Random Orbital) is the perfect choice.

Paint Cleansing is for those that dont polish and want to at least chemically strip old waxes and oxidation. Using a lotion , its just like waxing with application and buffing off. Pinnacle and P21S make very easy to use lotions ...

Call us if you need help and to order, its toll free

Get notified of new replies

To Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 PM
hbutts1
Racer

Default Foamgun Question

I just used my foammaster gun for the first time. Awesome foam! I have the bigger size container and was wondering if I can leave the unused solution in the container for next time or should I pour out into another bottle? In NC today it was about 80 and I did notice that leaving the foam on too long caused it dry and spot even though when I started washing it washed away. Should I rinse away the foam before I start washing with my two bucket system or is it OK for it to somewhat dry before I get the entire car washed?

Thanks Hank
Old 04-05-2009, 11:03 PM
hbutts1
Racer

I will be receiving new wheels soon!! They are a 3 piece wheel with carbon fiber and black chrome lip all clearcoated. What is the best cleaner and wax for this material. I have been using P21s wheel cleaner and Poor Boys wheel sealant on my chrome Z06 wheels, is this O.K.?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:31 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by hbutts1
I just used my foammaster gun for the first time. Awesome foam! I have the bigger size container and was wondering if I can leave the unused solution in the container for next time or should I pour out into another bottle? In NC today it was about 80 and I did notice that leaving the foam on too long caused it dry and spot even though when I started washing it washed away. Should I rinse away the foam before I start washing with my two bucket system or is it OK for it to somewhat dry before I get the entire car washed?

Thanks Hank

In direct sunlight you might see soap dry up, I would keep a stream of new foam on it as possible. Just mist every panel or two to keep damp. And yes you can store the extra as wanted.

Quick Reply: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread