Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

sealant or wax products at Barrett Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:45 AM
nukum
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sealant or wax products at Barrett Jackson

What type of product do you think they use on the bulk of cars at the Barrett Jackson auctions? just looking for your best WAG.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:18 PM
BostonJoel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few years ago I stopped by to talk to the guy running the detail shop at the auction and he was using Adam's products. He was detailing a lot of the cars before they went up on the block.
Last year, much to our amazement, Mother's had a booth set up near the staging lanes and not too far from Meguiar's trailer. Meguiar's is a paying sponsor of the BJ auctions. Meguiar's and Mother's guys were selling their products but not detailing any cars.
I think the detailing of the cars is left to the sellers/consignors as it is in their best interests to make the cars look as best they can when they get to the block and are under the lights. From what I've seen each owner/consignor has his own favorite final detail spray and all the popular names can be seen.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:11 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of those vehicles look absolutely horrible on tv. Swirls and scratches galore - maybe it's impossible in that type of environment.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:13 PM
UNKNOWN
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Most of those vehicles look absolutely horrible on tv. Swirls and scratches galore - maybe it's impossible in that type of environment.

the bright lights show everything
Old 12-02-2008, 05:17 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blznsdl
the bright lights show everything
No doubt, but I would want my finish as perfect as reasonably possible...only makes sense for value and selling.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:01 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I believe the owners of the vehicle are suppose to have them detailed prior to the auction. So it comes down to the products their detailers use. Likely the bigger manufacturers pay some advertising dollars to show off during the show and hope to sway the owners into using/purchasing their product lines.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Meguiars, Mothers , Zaino, Adams... Basically whatever the seller uses. I am sure BJ does not do any detailing to the cars before they go on the block. This is the sellers responsibility.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:11 AM
KEWL BLU
Instructor

I have been to the BJ auction a few times as I live here in Phoenix. A lot of the cars are not all that clean or detailed. I have seen a guy there with a portable power washer doing cars for people. I know the trailer you are talking about with Mothers. I bought their polisher,pads,power polish,power wax, and clay bar kit. I have been very happy with the results. I have always wondered what the difference would be using Zaino, but I do like the results with mothers. By the way most people in my club use Adams, but I think it is just contagous.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:42 AM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Considering that 95% of the cars there are in terrible shape (detailing wise)...
Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 AM
0meghan@autogeek.net
Former Vendor

It is the owners job to have the car detailed prior, and like many will tell you they usually are not detailed well! But it is the owners personal choice, so it could be anything from Turtle Wax, to Pinnacle Souveran, to Mothers, to one I hear a lot from the older crowd... Liquid Glass. I can tell you in the past it has been sponsored by Mothers and Meguiars but they has nothing to do with the actual detailing of the vehicles.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:36 AM
KEWL BLU
Instructor

Isn't liquid glass junk. Something I might have used on my 1972 Pontiac Catalina when I was 18 years old. But your right those cars are not cared for as us VETTE guys do.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:52 AM
GS4-LT1
Burning Brakes

I wonder how much more some of those cars would go for if the owners spent some $$$ on paint correction. Amazing how overlooked that is.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:23 AM
BostonJoel
Drifting

Originally Posted by meghan@autogeek.net
It is the owners job to have the car detailed prior, and like many will tell you they usually are not detailed well! But it is the owners personal choice, so it could be anything from Turtle Wax, to Pinnacle Souveran, to Mothers, to one I hear a lot from the older crowd... Liquid Glass. I can tell you in the past it has been sponsored by Mothers and Meguiars but they has nothing to do with the actual detailing of the vehicles.
Actually Meguiars and Mothers DO have something to do with the detailing of the cars.
I counted 4 guys to the left of the block with Mothers shirts....they were using a quick detailer type of product on all the cars as they rolled up and toward the block. In the staging lanes were other auction staff who were using Meguiar's quick detailer. Many owners waived the guys off or gave their cars a last once over before the cars hit the block.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 AM
KLO
Safety Car

Also you have to remember, that not all of these cars that are sold are show cars, many are drivers and the owners do not care all that much about paint perfection and many cars have older single stage paint jobs that are not going to look as perfect as a clear coat paint system. Go to any car show, out of 100 cars, there might be 10 with a proper detailing including paint perfecting.

There probably is a detailer on the grounds of BJ that has paid a fee to set up and do a quick cleaning and waxing job for someone who is about to roll their car up on the block.

Get notified of new replies

To sealant or wax products at Barrett Jackson

Quick Reply: sealant or wax products at Barrett Jackson