Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Scratches in Zaino OR Clearcoat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Scratches in Zaino OR Clearcoat?

I have wondered this for sometime.

I have a black 2001 C5.

Sometimes I notice that I get very fine scratches in my Zaino coats when using Z6 or Z8 to remove fine dust particles. In many cases I find that if I just add another coat of Z5 or Z2 the scratches disappear?

My question is "Is it possible that just the Zaino coating is getting scratched and not the Clearcoat of the paint in some cases?"

If adding a coat of Zaino does not cover up the scratches, then I know for sure it is in the Clearcoat, but not sure otherwise?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:47 AM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think what you're seeing is just the infamous Zaino streaks. It's like a residue that's left behind or something and tends to give that weird stratch/marring effect which is why it goes away after another application of Z5.

Try diluting the Z8/Z6 with water a little and see if the problem persists.

On a side note it is never a safe idea to wipe off dust after being driven around.

Josh
Old 01-09-2009, 04:26 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Polymer forms a molecular bond with paint (clear coat) so the scratches are on both the polymer and the clear coat. A Carnauba wax adheres to the surface so in theory you'll only put a scratch the wax, but the layer is so thin it will also penetrate to the clear coat. As intimated be very careful when removing dust

Last edited by TOGWT; 01-09-2009 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:54 AM
ROC OUT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoshVette
I think what you're seeing is just the infamous Zaino streaks. It's like a residue that's left behind or something and tends to give that weird stratch/marring effect which is why it goes away after another application of Z5.

Try diluting the Z8/Z6 with water a little and see if the problem persists.

On a side note it is never a safe idea to wipe off dust after being driven around.

Josh
Regarding Josh's last comment, I have wondered this for some time. Often I read comments in threads where someone will say that they washed their car and then either park it in the garage for a week or longer or drive it around. Dust and/or road dirt accumulates on the surface either while it is in the garage or on a drive. Then they break out the Z6 or some other quick detailer and wiped the car down before ever washing it again. It seems that doing this wipedown prior to washing inevitably will lead to surface scratching. Essentially, what you are doing by wiping the solution off is dragging the dust/dirt particles across and over the paint. I wouldn't do it. Just my observation and two cents.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:52 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

If you have very fine dust particles on the paint I use the California car duster first and then the Z6. Obviously if it's more than a thin film of dust you need to wash it first.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
If you have very fine dust particles on the paint I use the California car duster first and then the Z6. Obviously if it's more than a thin film of dust you need to wash it first.
This is what I do if the dust gets pretty bad.

I have a Black car and I drive it EVERY DAY for the past 8 years in WEST TEXAS (dust country). So... EVERY DAY at least once per day, I have to remove the dust (or settle for a dirty car). I am well aware that wiping the car down vs washing is not optimal, but I am not going to wash the car 365 times a year.

I am always VERY gentle when removing dust and 95% of the time it is without much noticeable effect. My guess is that dust comes from various sources (caliche, dirt, sand, leaves, Mexico industrial blow-over, rail dust, etc.) and sometimes the makeup of the dust is like cut glass and other times not so damaging.

What I am getting is NOT streaking of the ZAINO (which I have seen), but scratches.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:42 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by djd
Regarding Josh's last comment, I have wondered this for some time. Often I read comments in threads where someone will say that they washed their car and then either park it in the garage for a week or longer or drive it around. Dust and/or road dirt accumulates on the surface either while it is in the garage or on a drive. Then they break out the Z6 or some other quick detailer and wiped the car down before ever washing it again. It seems that doing this wipedown prior to washing inevitably will lead to surface scratching. Essentially, what you are doing by wiping the solution off is dragging the dust/dirt particles across and over the paint. I wouldn't do it. Just my observation and two cents.

I mostly use QD during the last step of my drying process. First I sheet the water off with a hose, then I blow about 95% of the remaining water off with an electric leaf blower, then I get the last few drops with QD and a good quality clean Waffle Weave.

Originally Posted by capevettes

I only use the California Duster on my car if it was put in the garage after being washed and has accumulated light dust while sitting in the garage. I never apply any pressure to the Duster or let it sit on the paint, I only lightly pull the strands across the finish and let the Duster pull the dust up into it. Sometimes I'll follow-up this dust off with some QD, but I try not to because I don't really like to pull anything across an otherwise dry surface.
The truth is that there really isn't any way to totally avoid scratches and swirls, but you can slow them down a lot if you are a little cautious.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:51 PM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Im with you (blk 02). If this paint is so frikn fragile ( & maybe it is, then why's the clear so hard supposedly). If the least amount of road dust cant be removed carefully w/ a CalCar duster, then what good is the duster? How many guys you seen pull into a cruise-in and whip out a duster? If I pull out of a drywalled/tiled/ climate controlled garage and drive 20 miles on a sunny day and need to WASH the thing to maintain, that goes beyond the "black is not a color it's a career" thing. This is my own flame towards my own black paint- not anyone elses post ) )
I've also excersized my own right to be in the **** C5 owners club by leaf blowing the car prior to Duster/ Quick detail wipedown after a ride.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:52 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are better off doing a QEW wash. You should be able to do that on a vette with drying in 20 mins max.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:05 PM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gmblack3
You are better off doing a QEW wash. You should be able to do that on a vette with drying in 20 mins max.
This is a new one on me- QEW?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Scratches in Zaino OR Clearcoat?

Quick Reply: Scratches in Zaino OR Clearcoat?