Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Please Help, New Paint And Water Spots!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:12 PM
D0St0V3L
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help, New Paint And Water Spots!!

I am so pissed off, I recently got new paint and my car looks great! I changed the time the sprinklers came on in front of my house because the sprinkler water is so full of calcium it was a major contributor to my car looking like crap pre paint job. All the water spots on the passenger side that would never come off. Well last night I pulled my car into the driveway to work on a few things and forgot to move it, well the neighbors acid **** water from their sprinklers got the majority of the passenger side, the hood, and the front clip... As soon as I realized it I pulled out my little detailer spray bottle and microfiber and started to try and remove the spots, then I used Bug and Tar remover too and, nope, the water had only been on there for about 2 hours but now the sun was out and baked the spots on and they are still there... My paint is about 40 days new, so it's been over a month... what is my best bet at salvaging my still new paint job and pulling these water spots from hell off my car?!?! PLEASE HELP.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:25 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

I would start with a strong car wash and soaking the spots with distilled white vinegar. If that doesn't work, I would slowly work my way up the polish scale, starting with a chemical cleaner and moving to abrasive polishes only if necessary.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:10 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

That water dried fast here in SoCal, with the 85 degree weather and wind. Rest assured, you can get those spots off....just may take some work. I don't think your neighbor's sprinklers had acid **** water in them....but probably calcium **** water for sure.

And be sure to follow up with a good surface protectant, hopefully a polymer sealant like Zaino or a top-notch wax.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:45 PM
D0St0V3L
Advanced

Right when I get home I am going to do a thorough wash, and use the vinegar. If that doesn't work I think I am going to go with the Meguirs Scratch-X.... Guess all I can do is hope for the best.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:23 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by D0St0V3L
Right when I get home I am going to do a thorough wash, and use the vinegar. If that doesn't work I think I am going to go with the Meguirs Scratch-X.... Guess all I can do is hope for the best.
I'd go even milder than Scratch-X. If over the counter, you could try a major brand cleaner-polish. It will not take much to get the spots off since you caught them early. I think I've even done it on my daughter's black Mustang when it was sitting in the sprinklers for days only using a clay bar and QD.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 PM
SimpleC6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try clay first, then polish. They will come off.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:34 AM
jomarre
8th Gear

Default water spots

Try Jimmy G's super fine polish it works great on water spots.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:04 PM
D0St0V3L
Advanced

Thanks a bunch guys. Well by the time I got home it was dark so I was out there with a flood light washing my car. I started with just a normal wash with my microfiber mitt and some Meguirs standard car wash soap, and it took the big stuff off but if you look at the paint from about a 35-45 degree angle you can see a faint outline from the rings the water spots left..... I'll take the clay bar to it.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Silvern
Advanced

After you clay try some "Color X from Meguiars should work fairly well and it's over the counter. It's not too aggressive and is a cleaner/Wax. It's a one step.

Get notified of new replies

To Please Help, New Paint And Water Spots!!

Quick Reply: Please Help, New Paint And Water Spots!!