Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Polishing Aluminum wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Polishing Aluminum wheels

I have a set of non clear coated aluminum wheels on my truck They are about 10 years old and before they go on the truck in the spring they need a massive polishing to remove the blemishes.
Last year I tried the Mothers polishing ball and it didnt seem to be any better than polishing them by hand.
Any and all tips for methods and or polish recommendations would be appreciated.
Thank you
Old 03-05-2009, 02:10 PM
LNGBAL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aluminum Wheels

I would recommend using Adam's Metal Polish 1&2 followed by Adam's Brilliant Spray Glaze. I did my buddy's aluminum wheels about 2 months ago and he said they never looked better.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:15 PM
00Nassau
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I tried several products on my Boyd Coddington Smoothie II's, and Meguiars Hot Rims Mag and Aluminum Polish was the best. I hand polished them with a soft cotton rag, and they shined up great. There was a very noticable difference when I used the Mequiars compared to the other products. I was seriously considering getting the wheels chromed before I finally used the Meguiars.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:15 PM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Location: the GOCC are everywhere, even back from "band camp"
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to tread carefully here, but depending how bad they are corroded & pitted you may need to step up to something more like Wenol to get the shine back, then regular maintenance with easier products mentioned above might work. I believe Autogeek carries Wenol.
Bruce
Old 03-05-2009, 07:24 PM
SLO C5
Race Director

Location: Are you fat because you're lazy or lazy because you're fat? San Jose, CA
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

If they're that bad, you may need to hit them first with a wheel restorer/tarnish remover, then use a good polish to bring them to shine.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 PM
DAV162
Drifting

try this stuff amazing on any metals

http://www.innate.com/Supplies/Wizards/Wizards.htm
Old 03-06-2009, 02:06 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Thanks for all the tips. I'll try some of them when I get ready to put the summer wheels back on
Old 03-06-2009, 08:40 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I have uncoated wheels and after 3 years of use they still look quite new. Heres the regimine:

1. P21S Wheel Cleaner Only
2. Polish with Mothers Powerball Mini and English Custom Showmans Custom Blend
3. Seal with Poorboys or Dp Wheel Glaze
Old 03-06-2009, 07:41 PM
DWC4
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default what about coated older AL wheels?

The clearcoat is now patchy, would I need to somehow strip the rest then start over? The shop manual has info on this, I need to open it back up, they list specific products and method but nothing beats forum folks experience. 1992, they're nice at about 20 feet, no closer.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:33 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

I pulled the wheels into the garage for there spring cleaning and on a hunch I grabbed some 0000 steel wool. I used the steel wheel to polish in the Meguiars then afterwards used a terry cloth with Meguiars to add some shine back.
The steel wool made removing the crud and most of the blemishes very easy to clean off compared to just using the terry cloth.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:15 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

P21S also makes a polishing soap which removes old oxidation and tarnish quite easily. You do however need to polish afterwards and this is where the polishes, Powerball, and a little time bring nice rewards.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 PM
DWC4
Racer

Default clear coated aluminum wheels

Mine are the original 92 wheels and the clear coat has of course degraded a lot, peeling and patchy looking, etc. I would think the only solution is to strip it completely and start over, any alternatives?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:12 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DWC4
Mine are the original 92 wheels and the clear coat has of course degraded a lot, peeling and patchy looking, etc. I would think the only solution is to strip it completely and start over, any alternatives?
I'm in the same boat as you, let me know if you learn any good tricks!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:49 PM
DWC4
Racer

Default clear coated wheels

hey Oklahoma

Well the shop manual has info, I need to go back and see what it says but I'm pretty sure it's about stripping it off completely and starting over. I took mine to a local wheel shop, was thinking having them done in black powder coat, they would smooth out the nicks, etc and the whole bit about $800.

I gotta believe we can find a way to make them better for less. I don't need perfect.. nice at about 10 feet would work for me!

I think we're talking about one by one, getting them off the car, and by hand using some stripper (!!!!) get the old clear off then spray on something to replace it.

Right now my bigger issue is the good old Optispark so as usual the wheels go on the back burner.

good luck!
Old 04-15-2009, 04:44 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DWC4
look for a professional wheel shop as stripping clearcoat off wheels can be a pain. You could also send wheels out to be machined or chromed as wanted. Might be the perfect time to really amp them up !

Get notified of new replies

To Polishing Aluminum wheels

Quick Reply: Polishing Aluminum wheels