Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Caring for my new car

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:01 AM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Caring for my new car

I just purchased a new Black 2009 1LZ Z06 (woo hoo!) and would like to know the following:

1) What to use to wash the car - right now I plan on ordering a microfiber mit to wash the car - is this okay?

2) What car wash solution should I use if any? Where to order?

3) What should I use to dry the car - microfiber cloths?

4)I am planning on buying a detailer spray and using microfiber cloths to wipe off smudges, etc. between washes - is this okay?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-28-2009, 09:56 AM
msslp04
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11,'14

Originally Posted by bigterpsfan
I just purchased a new Black 2009 1LZ Z06 (woo hoo!) and would like to know the following:

1) What to use to wash the car - right now I plan on ordering a microfiber mit to wash the car - is this okay?

4)I am planning on buying a detailer spray and using microfiber cloths to wipe off smudges, etc. between washes - is this okay?

Thanks for the advice!
1. Use two bucket method, one for wash/one for rinse, and grit gaurd in bottom of both buckets. I think the microfiber mitt is okay, I use a lambswool mitt.
2. The best bang for the buck car wash is Meguiar's Gold Class IMO.
3. Dry it off by using a leaf blower and then blot dry with a microfiber.
4. Should be okay but do a complete wash for excess dirt.

There are others that have more experience with a black vehicle.
Black is a difficult color to keep looking great. Good luck.

Kevin
Old 03-28-2009, 10:03 AM
MurphMan2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice from Kevin but I would add some polish. NXT2.0 Great shine, easy to use, and readily available at most car care centers.
You won't be sorry.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:22 AM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by msslp04
1. Use two bucket method, one for wash/one for rinse, and grit gaurd in bottom of both buckets. I think the microfiber mitt is okay, I use a lambswool mitt.
2. The best bang for the buck car wash is Meguiar's Gold Class IMO.
3. Dry it off by using a leaf blower and then blot dry with a microfiber.
4. Should be okay but do a complete wash for excess dirt.

There are others that have more experience with a black vehicle.
Black is a difficult color to keep looking great. Good luck.

Kevin
Where can I order a lambswool mitt?
Old 03-28-2009, 10:26 AM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just bought an 09 white C6.

Even though the paint is new, it's not in perfect condition. I'm going to clay, one step machine polish, use a sealant, then top with carnauba wax.

I would at least clay your car then use a sealant.

For wash liquid, I use pinnacle bodywork shampoo(two bucket method). I use the Cobra microfiber "bone" to wash the car, and Cobra waffle weave microfiber drying towels. I also use optimum quick detailer for minor cleaning.

Check out these links for your questions.

http://autogeek.net/washing.html

http://autogeek.net/quickdetail.html

Last edited by 03 Z-oh-6; 03-28-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:31 AM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Forgot this one..

http://autogeek.net/drying.html
Old 03-29-2009, 09:17 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Thanks for the advice!

Call us on Monday, its toll free and we will hook you up. Trust me as a Vette owner, and also a black one, you can keep that puppy shining at all times.

1. Mitts are ok , consider sheepskin or chenille and thick MF towels work in a pinch also.

2. Duragloss, Poorboys, and Optimum are best choices and offer no residue when washing off soap on a black car especially in the direct sunlight.

3. Our Guzzler Towels (green) and a leaf blower are considered the best attack when drying.

4. Detail Sprays and MF towels are my addiction. Needed and the best items coming from detailing in many years. Sprays like Optimum, Four Star, Dodo, and others will sparkle and add to paint.

I work offsite, but available by PM's and Email as needed. If you call just ask for Dwayne, Matt, Jason, or Meghan and tell them you need help and I sent ya !!

Scott
Old 03-29-2009, 12:08 PM
0Detailed Image
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice!
Congratulations on the new ride! Caring for the black paint can be tough but using good technique and quality products should help you out. The first thing I would recommend you do is read our Detailing Guide. There are tons of good tips about how to do each step properly.

1.) Washing and Drying is arguably the most important step in the process. This is where the majority of swirls and fine scratches are introduced to the paint. Again I beg you to read the Detailing Guide for this step, your technique is extremely important. To wash safely I typically use a Sheepskin Wash Mitt or the Lake Country Ulti-Mit.

2.) There are tons of great shampoos out there to choose from. Some of my favorites are the Poorboy's World Super Slick and Suds, Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II, P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo and many others. You really can't go wrong with any of the shampoos we offer at Detailed Image.

3.) For drying I highly recommend our Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towels because they are paint safe and highly absorbent. They absorb large amounts of water while using very soft fibers and a satin edge for extra safety. Best of all these towels are on sale for $11.99 (reg $17.99) for the month of March.

4.) Generally speaking this is considered safe but it's certainly not fool proof. The cleaner the surface is the safer you'll be. I only use this method when the surface is dusty. I use a good quick detailer and a thicker microfiber towel to decrease the amount of friction on the surface. I typically spray a little quick detailer on the surface and wipe away the residue with our Ultra Plush Microfiber Towel. I fold the towel in fourths and expose a fresh surface of the towel for each panel of the paint. I typically use about 2x - 4x towels during this process if I do the whole vehicle. Some of my favorite quick detailers for this task are the Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe and the Chemical Guys Luber.

If you have any questions about this process or anything related to detailing please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-29-2009, 12:47 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Where can I order a lambswool mitt?
www.sheepskin.com has really nice mitts.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:40 PM
msslp04
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11,'14

I really like this wash mitt:
http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/85-340.html

You really have some good advice here and always come back if you have any questions. Great people on this forum that like to help.

Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To Caring for my new car

Quick Reply: Caring for my new car