Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Leaving Zaino for Pinnacle....couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Rans03
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Default Leaving Zaino for Pinnacle....couple questions

After using Zaino on my 98 and my 03, with decent results, I decided to switch to Pinnacle and see how it goes. I've applied Pinnacle before on a friends car and was amazed with the ease of use, so I don't mind that it lasts less time. I do enjoy detailing and waxing so no issues.

This is what is on the car now, last spring I polished with Menzerna IP and FP, then Zaino'd. Also, throughout the summer I applied more coats of Zaino along with using the Z detailers. End of year I just covered it for the winter.

How much sealant is still on the car and what process is needed to remove all of it? Claybar?

I will use Menzerna polish again and bought a box full of Pinnacle's wax and sprays. Looking forward to a change from the Zaino and hoping the Pinnacle Souveran will look ok on Electron Blue. Also, any advice on the Pinnacle products or application would be great.

Thanks

Randy
Old 04-13-2009, 05:47 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

while the Zaino guys are gonna kill you for this post, it is up to the end user to decide which product is best for them. Both are great products, and even most will suggest their is no substitute for Pinnacle when going carnauba.

Pinnacle offers a paint cleanser, so does P21S that can be used prior to application to remove any remaining sealant. If you plan to polish first, even with a light finishing polish, you are going to remove it mechanically anyhoo. I suggest one of the three options ...

As for Pinnacle, you are certainly correct in that their is no easier product to use. Wipe on, wipe off. It should take no more than 10 minutes for a Vette and a light coat is all thats needed. (dont cake it on) Souveran will offer alot of wetness and depth that most waxes/sealants cannot duplicate. SSII was designed for lighter colors and metallics as it seems to amplify the flakes. No wrong choice ...

Use a lighter soap, one designer for carnaubas, and consider Crystal Mist or Souveran Spray Wax as wanted to enhance and boost the durability. If you add another coat monthly, no need but still worth a consideration.

We hope to hear your candid thoughts, pics as possible, and hope you enjoy the line. Some of us still believe in the 'nubas ~~
Old 04-14-2009, 07:48 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

I'm a Z fan, but if your goal is to remove it, a claying and polishing will do the trick.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 AM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I too have been using the Zaino products with great results. It is recommended to use Dawn to remove waxes and sealants.

I would also like to hear your comparison between Zaino and Pinnacle. Please keep us updated on your results.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:03 AM
99ta316
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I removed what ever was on there with a good washing then buffing with a FLEX 3401 and Menz SIP and LC Orange Pad, then followed with Menz IP and LC white pad, and then with Menz Finishing and LC blue pad. Then applied the Pinancle by hand (about 10 to 15 mins to spread on and then wife off). Then about twice a week I use the Pinancle nuba wax spray detailer. I daily drive my vette and it sometimes I highway drive it (550 miles one way). Still get lots of complements on the color and shine. I try to wax it once a week. Sometimes its every 2 weeks. Had been thinking of going back to Zaino as I used it with great results on my 99 trans am. I am very happy with the setup I have now. Just need some good interior cleaner, leather cleaner and softner and something for the engine bay.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:19 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

remember Souveran Paste is WOWO --- wipe on and wipe off immediately panel by panel for best results. It should be slightly damp.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:36 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
remember Souveran Paste is WOWO --- wipe on and wipe off immediately panel by panel for best results. It should be slightly damp.
Doesn't letting it dry and haze over provide a tougher layer of protection? It is a bit harder to rub off, I admit, but isn't it "better."
Old 04-15-2009, 03:39 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Rans03, I'm interested in your opinion, also. I have an Electron Blue Z, and have been using Zaino for about 2 years with stellar results. I got the Pinnacle kit in the December AG sale, and experimented with putting the wax--yes, over the Z--on half the car. I did that twice, about 2 weeks apart, with washing in between (I wash, blow dry, then waffle-weave wipe with Z6 every week). I gotta say I noticed no difference in the shine between halves. I admit the Pinnacle Soveran is way easy to apply..and without the Zaino already there, it would probably look fantastic. But in my opinion, the Zaino can't be improved.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I left the Z world a long time ago and switched to Pinnacle. I couldn't be happier. Maybe I just never got used to all of the steps, but the Zaino application ritual is a little bit much for me. I have never used sovereign but do use ssII and XMT and am extremely happy. Once my stock gets low I will go sovereign.

-Justin
Old 04-15-2009, 07:56 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dalannex
I left the Z world a long time ago and switched to Pinnacle. I couldn't be happier. Maybe I just never got used to all of the steps, but the Zaino application ritual is a little bit much for me. I have never used sovereign but do use ssII and XMT and am extremely happy. Once my stock gets low I will go sovereign.

-Justin
I'm glad you like the Pinnacle but I am always puzzled when people complain about all the steps that are required for Zaino. Paint preparation is no different with Zaino than it is with any other product. Zaino just happens to offer a wide array of products that address all your paint needs from corrective work to protection and maximum shine. I find them far easier to use than any product I have tried and I have tried them all.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:51 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by IAIA
Doesn't letting it dry and haze over provide a tougher layer of protection? It is a bit harder to rub off, I admit, but isn't it "better."
we have found no appreciable difference in durability while a marked improvement in removal, so we suggest WOWO as designed.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by capevettes
I'm glad you like the Pinnacle but I am always puzzled when people complain about all the steps that are required for Zaino. Paint preparation is no different with Zaino than it is with any other product. Zaino just happens to offer a wide array of products that address all your paint needs from corrective work to protection and maximum shine. I find them far easier to use than any product I have tried and I have tried them all.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:03 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes

Applying the Z sealants to a properly prepped car is a piece of cake.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:49 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
we have found no appreciable difference in durability while a marked improvement in removal, so we suggest WOWO as designed.
Ok. But then I have to ask why this isn't true for other waxes, as well (or is it)? They'd all be very easy to wipe off if they're not left to dry, as we've always been directed on the labels.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Shimy86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will get many replys of your dire mistake of changing from Zanio to something else. use what works for you, not what everyone else thinks is best for you

Get notified of new replies

To Leaving Zaino for Pinnacle....couple questions

Quick Reply: Leaving Zaino for Pinnacle....couple questions