Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ok, gonna pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:58 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Ok, gonna pull the trigger

So, I'm ready to buy a random orbital to wax my cars, but first a little background..

I have a 08 Vette which is my daily driver and DOES stay outside and is driven in the rain and winter (no sand/salt tho).. I also have a 01 PT cruiser and an 07 Maxima and 65 vette coupe.. I'm looking to get out the swirls in my maxima (blk) and 01 PT... The 08 vette looks pretty good and not really swirly...

I do not enjoy waxing my cars like some do, but know it has to be done and I have no problem with that.. I'm not the type of guy that will mask off my trim if you know what I mean. That being said I'm really looking for a wax that will get me through the winter... I've used NXT2.0 and am not impressed and it stained my trim which just pissed me off... I'm not a Zaino guy either (don't bother with the comments.. )

Thoughts??
Old 10-01-2009, 08:07 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Consider calling us and we will walk you thru a package. Heres my personal thoughts.

XP=PC or Flex Ceramiclear Kit (Menzerna polishes and pads)
Four Star UPP or Wolfgang Sealant (Paint Sealants -- crisp, reflective and offer additional durability)
FinishKare425 -- Anti Static and Gloss Spray after Washing

adding in a wash, clay, and some towels as needed and you have a complete kit to keep a new black car looking great. Best thing, everything is easy to use and provides noticable results.

www.autogeek.net
Old 10-02-2009, 07:29 AM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From all the research I've done, seems the Griot's improved random orbital sits between the PCXP and the Flex on the power scale. For $129, that's hard to beat. The Flex is expensive and cannot use smaller than 6.5" pads. I'd like a Flex but I'm not a pro detailer and have no intentions of becoming one. Now that the weather is cooling here in FL, I will order a Griot's. My shopping cart is all filled up over at Autogeek!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:53 AM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I enjoy polishing mine, shut the cell phone off and have some relaxation time..
I purchased a PC 7424 couple of years back and have found this to be excellent for my needs. This is almost an industry std amongst most weekend warriors like me. I would love to buy a flex, just dont need two polishers and the PC has worked well on my Black Tundra, C5 Pewter and the wifes PT Crusier, and my sons cars. When the PC dies I will get a Flex or whatever is reccomended at the time.
I believe the Flex is excellent and has more power = faster to complete.... I dont need to have a rotary, and my cars paint is well looked after so I should be ok.
Cant comment on the Girot's product....
Autogeek is excellent and their write-ups are very informative.
Good luck on your choice and polishing
Old 10-02-2009, 02:31 PM
0Detailed Image
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you are looking for a relatively quick and efficient process to get great results. I would recommend about once per year you polish the paint with a medium and light polish. Then follow up with a sealant to protect the paint and enhance the shine. I would use the sealant about every 4 months so you can always have the paint protected. Here is my product suggestions for the best buffer deals:

DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 6.5" Basic Kit
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP 6.5" Starter Kit
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP 6.5" Advanced Kit

In all of these kits you can select any pads you would like. For example in our Starter Kit you get 7x pads and you can select any 7 pads you would like for a better value. I would suggest getting at least the start kit so you get enough pads for a good detail job. I usually use at least two pads per coat of polish for best results.

To care for the paint I would recommend you use these products, in this order, after the wash and dry:
Menzerna Power Finish PO203S - 32 oz - Orange Pads - Medium Polish
Menzerna PO106FA Nano Polish (Super Finish) - 16 oz - White Pads - Light Polish
Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - 16 oz - Blue Pad or hand application - Sealant

The Menzerna Polishes will help remove oxidation, light swirls and more to help restore a smoother and more optically clear surface. This helps the paint look much deeper and glossier. Additionally the sealant will bond to this clean and smooth surface better for longer lasting protection. The Blackfire Wet Diamond w/polycharger is a top notch sealant that will protect your paint for 4 - 6 months. It looks very glossy, applies with ease and helps you get the most out of one step for protection. I hand remove all of these products with a clean microfiber towel as well. Usually about 8x - 10x DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel - 16" x 16" are perfect for the job. Let me know if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ DI
Old 10-02-2009, 03:35 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

will do it when I get back.. Travel to redmond for the next week..

thanks,

/jc
Old 10-02-2009, 10:43 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by REMIX
From all the research I've done, seems the Griot's improved random orbital sits between the PCXP and the Flex on the power scale. For $129, that's hard to beat. The Flex is expensive and cannot use smaller than 6.5" pads. I'd like a Flex but I'm not a pro detailer and have no intentions of becoming one. Now that the weather is cooling here in FL, I will order a Griot's. My shopping cart is all filled up over at Autogeek!
Thanks in advance for considering us ... the Griots buffer is indeed a bit stronger than the PC-XP. I would consider it over the PC-XP personally also. Its quite impressive.

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-rando...-polisher.html

The Flex does have the ability to use smaller pads. In order to do so you need to purchase the Edge/3M adapter. You can then snap the 4 inch pads from the Cyclo also. I would note it certainly is more expensive but seriously the best Random Orbital offered to date. Not just for professional settings either.

http://www.autogeek.net/edge-flex-buffer-adapter.html
Old 10-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

I was in the same boat as you earlier this year. Don't enjoy polishing or waxing but realize it has to be done. Read most of the comments and although many people said they owned the PC they commented they would like to own the Flex. So I went with the Flex and the Menzerna polishes figuring this would be a one time purchase. First time out I used it on my 8 year old Ford Super Duty and one pass with each polish made the finish look WAY better than it did new. Then I tackled a set of "scratches" on the hood of my C6 caused by myself using to coarse of a rubbing compound trying to remove the dealers delivery mistake. Two passes and they are gone. Might add I tried to remove this by hand for a couple of hours prior to this with zero results.
Recently we had carpet installed in our home and one of the smaller rolls of carpet fell on the side of my new C6 which left a really long wide rub mark and that sickening pit in my stomach. One pass with each polish and the Flex and the mark was gone.

Maybe the PC or the Groits would of worked as well but I am betting they would of taken a lot more time. Very happy with the Flex and now it sees use on my fiberglass boat as well. I do not regret the purchase for one second.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:43 PM
blkvette98
Instructor

Default Orbital buffer

I have both the Porter Cable ( new model ) and the new Griots. Both machines are very good but the new Griots definitely gets the nod. More power, less vibration and has the ability to bring up a shine much quicker. Got mine from Autogeeks. Good guys to deal with. Detailed image is another good bunch of guys. Good luck with the purchase. Also the recommendation of Menzerna, Its the best!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:39 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got the Flex 3401 and it's seriously a kick-a** machine. As long as you don't mind the increased price point over the PC or Griots units it's the best DA available. Short of a rotary you aren't going to do any better.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:43 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BarryK
I've got the Flex 3401 and it's seriously a kick-a** machine. As long as you don't mind the increased price point over the PC or Griots units it's the best DA available. Short of a rotary you aren't going to do any better.
Hey Barry.. How ya doing, hope all is going well.... I still have to call Autogeek, but I'm leaning towards the Griots as I don't think I'll be able to use the flex to its potential.. I just want to keep it waxed... Anyway I'll be calling them soon..

/joe
Old 10-13-2009, 12:29 AM
l1dws
Racer

Can't go wrong with the griots machine. Order some Griots 2,3,and 4 polish. For the cars outside use Griots selant which holds up great.
Good luck after you see how great your cars look, you will look forward cleaning your cars.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:31 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by joec
Hey Barry.. How ya doing, hope all is going well.... I still have to call Autogeek, but I'm leaning towards the Griots as I don't think I'll be able to use the flex to its potential.. I just want to keep it waxed... Anyway I'll be calling them soon..

/joe
if all your going to do is just w3ax it, look for a pc7424 they are like 75 used on ebay...
Old 10-17-2009, 06:53 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
if all your going to do is just w3ax it, look for a pc7424 they are like 75 used on ebay...
normally I would do that, but since I'm a real novice at this I'd rather pay the $$$ and get the support..

Thanks,
/jc
Old 10-17-2009, 10:02 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by joec
normally I would do that, but since I'm a real novice at this I'd rather pay the $$$ and get the support..

Thanks,
/jc
you call us .... no extra charge for help, hints, and other tech advice. We offer a price guarantee to assure you are getting the best deal too. While we dont have anymore 7424's in stock we do have many of the newer PC-XP and new with warranty. For the same money however, I'd grab the Griots machine. First to wax, then to polish, and soon you to will love a buffer.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:41 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by olbear1962
I enjoy polishing mine, shut the cell phone off and have some relaxation time..
I purchased a PC 7424 couple of years back and have found this to be excellent for my needs. This is almost an industry std amongst most weekend warriors like me. I would love to buy a flex, just dont need two polishers and the PC has worked well on my Black Tundra, C5 Pewter and the wifes PT Crusier, and my sons cars. When the PC dies I will get a Flex or whatever is reccomended at the time.
I believe the Flex is excellent and has more power = faster to complete.... I dont need to have a rotary, and my cars paint is well looked after so I should be ok.
Cant comment on the Girot's product....
Autogeek is excellent and their write-ups are very informative.
Good luck on your choice and polishing
Could not have said it better.

Get notified of new replies

To Ok, gonna pull the trigger

Quick Reply: Ok, gonna pull the trigger