Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

glass polishes

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:35 PM
sohns
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glass polishes

has anyone used the griots glass polish?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ss+polishes.do

I just hate to see the tiny specks and spots after cleaning and the sun hits the windshield....tarminator hasnt worked nor has the bug and tar sponge. Also, the uncoated glass warning...is the windshield on our c6's coated with something?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

some of those small spots could be chips from road debris belting the glass. Those cannot be removed from any polish. You can however lighten them and remove all other surface contaminents. I suggest using DP Glass Restorer or Diamonite Spray Clay. We also carry the Griots line and while I have not tried the product, the line offers some real hits. I then coat glass with Aquapel twice annually.

www.autogeek.net
Old 10-19-2009, 10:53 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used DP Glass Restorer on the wifes DD that she parked under the sprinklers.. I had tried vinegar, BonAmi, even Blue Magic metal polish. Nothing would get those baked on water spots off. I took a chance and added some DP glass restorer to my autogeek order..Two applications with a porter cable and I had clean glass..I now do the treatment before every winter to get the accumulated "summer grime" off the windshield..
Old 10-20-2009, 02:24 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by sohns
has anyone used the griots glass polish?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ss+polishes.do

I just hate to see the tiny specks and spots after cleaning and the sun hits the windshield....tarminator hasnt worked nor has the bug and tar sponge. Also, the uncoated glass warning...is the windshield on our c6's coated with something?
I have used it on several occasions, but it will not remove all the specks from sand hitting the windshield. There is something about the C5 windshield that make them very susceptible to this kind of damage - never had this problem with other windshields. I have had 3 windshields replaced on my C5 over the past 9 years due to rock damage (by insurance). One was less than a year old and it is amazing how good a new windshield feels even after a year of around the town driving - you don't even realize how quick they degrade until a new one is installed - feels like a new car!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:09 PM
sohns
Advanced

im assuming you have the replacement under your insurance policy? My policy only covers chip repairs and not windshield replacement.

Do you usually replace it with a GM windshield or an aftermarket like safelite, etc?
Old 10-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by sohns
im assuming you have the replacement under your insurance policy? My policy only covers chip repairs and not windshield replacement.

Do you usually replace it with a GM windshield or an aftermarket like safelite, etc?
My COMPREHENSIVE insurance with Farmers will pay for either the chip repair 100% or windshield replacement when I pay the $200 deductible. All three times I have gone for the replacement as they were more than just minor chips. There are also glass replacement companies you can find online that will pay half or all of the $200 deductible as well so the most it has ever cost me was $100. I only had a problem one time where they replaced my windshield with a non-GM HUD unit (twice) and I finally convinced them that these 3rd party glass providers were not going to work properly with the HUD - they finally got tired of wasting their time on trying to install Made In Mexico glass where the HUD was almost unreadable so on the third try they picked up a new windshield from the local Chevy dealer and it worked perfect.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:18 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

I hate the windows
Old 10-26-2009, 04:32 PM
tony car4a
Instructor

My 02 vert it had fairly serious wiper scrapes that I could feel with my fingernails (previous owner neglect). I thought I'd have to spring for a new windsheild but tried a scratch remover and polish from Janvil. It took many sessions and aching arms but the scrapes came out eventually. I suppose you could use a buffer but the directions call for manual labor and patience. Also, spraying with water while rubbing helps when the stuff gets cakey. I've used the remaining product on other cars with good results too or use just the polish every so often to remove stubborn stuff or buff out the glass. Wasn't that expensive....like $30.

Get notified of new replies

To glass polishes

Quick Reply: glass polishes