Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine

Just received this product this afternoon from AutoGeek. I won't be able to give a final evaluation for a few days, but my initial results look promising.

My main reason for trying this product was to hopefully cut down on the rear bumper static charge that attracts dust like a magnet even after driving half a block. So, I started with the rear bumper. Then I went ahead and did the rest of the body panels and chrome wheels this afternoon as a trial.

I should mention that I have a BLACK 2001 and that it has been extensively detailed with a Flex/Menzerna and has at least 15 layers of Zaino in place. Initially I would have to say that it is closest to Griot's Speed Shine as far as other similar products I have tried, but when compared to Speed Shine:

(1) The body panels have a slicker feel after using the 425. Since I generally use Z6 or Z8 EVERY DAY for detailing, I have a pretty good feel for when the surface is left "slicker". The Zaino towels I use definitely move easier over the finished 425surface than after Z6, Z8 or Speed Shine.

(2) 425 has a similar final "look" to when Speed Shine is used over Zaino - at least on "day one". By finished look, I mean that the surface loses some of the Zaino glare in favor of a more "waxey" look - on the plus side very tiny surface scratches which the Zaino magnifies are subdued to the eye after the 425. The reason I say "day one" is because when Speed Shine is used over Zaino on black, my experience has been that it fogs up after 24hrs - especially in the heat and is a headache to remove - hence I do not use Speed Shine anymore after switching to Zaino as my sealant foundation. I can only assume that Speed Shine contains some type of "wax" or something that just won't adhere to the Zainoed layers. Speed Shine worked great when I used wax instead of Zaino. I will know in a day or two if the 425 has similar "fogging" over the Zaino. The 425 description says it is formulated to be used over BOTH waxes and sealants - so we will see?

(3) One unexpected surprise with the 425 was when I applied it to my chrome wheels. I had not even planned on using it for that, but this is the best product I have seen for giving the chrome a really great look - and very easy to apply and remove. I have tried many chrome polishes, Zaino, Rejex, glass cleaners, etc. on my chrome wheels for the past 9 years and this by far is the best they have looked. Blingmaster is the best metal polish I have found so far (and used it once very lightly on my wheels), but you have to be really careful with it on chrome as it contains abrasives - so not something I would use on chrome except as a last resort. Anyway, it looks like the 425 has earned itself a position in my permanent arsenal for use on chrome if nothing else.

I did drive to the gym (as I do every afternoon) after applying the 425 and it looked like the rear bumper dust, while not completely missing, was substantially reduced by about 80% over using Z6 or Z8. Need another day or two to verify that it was not a fluke.z

I will report back in a day or two after it has had time to fog up (if it is going to). Also not sure how readily it will accept additional layers of Zaino in the future after using 425?

Last edited by Choreo; 10-28-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:26 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

I found the best way to cut do on static transfer is to not dry your towels all the way in the dryer, dry them about 3/4's of the way and then let your towels air dry the rest of the way.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:15 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

as the fk425 gets older, you'll notice more dust, but basically 80% is on par with my results
Old 10-28-2009, 12:52 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

425 is definitely a nice addition to my QD arsenal.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:42 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

425 rocks, one of the best quick detailer + products on the market. I have been playing with FK146 which seems to be the synthetic version. It does "seem" to offer more anti-static abilities but in all fairness using on another car that sits outside 24/7.

425 has a warmer glow, kinda like a wax. 146 seems to be more reflective and more like a sealant in look. Cannot go wrong with either.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
425 rocks, one of the best quick detailer + products on the market. I have been playing with FK146 which seems to be the synthetic version. It does "seem" to offer more anti-static abilities but in all fairness using on another car that sits outside 24/7.

425 has a warmer glow, kinda like a wax. 146 seems to be more reflective and more like a sealant in look. Cannot go wrong with either.
I could not see in the FK146 description where it specifically mentioned for use on WAX OR SEALANTS so I went with the FK425 since it at least mentioned "sealants". Was not sure if FK146 was formulated to be used on a Zainoed car? Still not sure what needs to be done after applying EITHER if another coat of Zaino is about to be applied?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:02 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I dont believe either product will harm your use of Z. I would however refrain from using it just before applying the sealant. When its time I would wash with their soap and then polish as needed (this would remove anything/everything anyhoo) and/or apply the sealant. I hear the FK sealant and wax are quite nice and durable too , but havent tried them yet.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

They don't make a product that will stop dust from accumulating on the rear end of C5's Choreo, sorry but that's just the way it is......

As far as FK425 for a quick detailer, it's one one of the best available.......The slickness and the shine are equal to Z-6, the only difference to me is the smell. I love the Zaino scent.....

I bought a gallon of 425 because Sal won't sell Z-6 by the gallon.....

The cost difference is substantial and the final results are pretty much the same. Using a QD everyday without washing it if it's a dd can make for some surface spiderwebs, especially with black paint. I do a complete polish once a year and use Z-6/8, FK425 only after a full wash.......
Old 10-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Well it survived the first 24 hours with some sun-time and it has not fogged up so far (like Speed Shine over Zaino).

I still cannot get over how good the chrome wheels look after using the 425 - really unexpected! My chrome was already in great shape, but they look like they just had another layer of plating added.

Get notified of new replies

To Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine

Quick Reply: Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine