Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Matte black wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:21 AM
BILLFXR4
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matte black wheels

what is the best way to clean and protect matte black wheels? Also whats best for tires ?
Old 07-18-2012, 05:07 PM
94boosted
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUMP

Having my C6 GS wheels powder coated next week and I really want to go with a Matte/Flat finish but I'm worried about how to take care of matte wheels. I know that with any matte finishes you really should avoid waxes, polishes, wet sanding and even hard brissle brushes. So how do you care for them? How do you clean them? Do they over time become shiny in some spots? Am I better off going with something closer to satin (i.e. between matte/flat and full gloss)? The guys with the Centennial edition black wheels any advice?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

use a good safe wheel cleaner (like P21S) to keep them clean. If they are coated then use a good sealant to protect black clearcoated wheels specifically. For matte wheels I would not use traditional waxes, polishes, or sealants on them. Follow the manufacturers suggestion.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:42 AM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine are Piano Black, and they're powder coated. Contacted the wheel manufacturer and asked for products they recommend to clean them. Their answer was mild soap and water - then stated anything else will void the warranty.

So I clean as advised, then use my master blaster to dry (from a foot or two away) and they come out looking great.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly'n Family
Mine are Piano Black, and they're powder coated. Contacted the wheel manufacturer and asked for products they recommend to clean them. Their answer was mild soap and water - then stated anything else will void the warranty.

So I clean as advised, then use my master blaster to dry (from a foot or two away) and they come out looking great.
Yeah..........that good ole mild soap & water works great on just about everything from the interior to wheels & everything in between.

Get notified of new replies

To Matte black wheels

Quick Reply: Matte black wheels