Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

washing in winter is bad for your car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:04 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default washing in winter is bad for your car?

asking for my C5 which does go out all year long and for my other two cars which have much more steel on them!

had a guy recently tell me on another car forum that washing cars in the winter is bad for them because "washing in cold weather 'activates' the salt and speeds up corrosion"

I have never heard or such a thing...
I'm no expert but the last time I did the redox equations for salt on my car vs salt on my garage floor the results clearly showed that washing the car in the winter is nothing but good for it.

its been bugging me, I did some internet searches and found nothing but evidence that washing in the winter is not only good, but should be done more frequently when salt is involved than when not. summer dirt is just dirt, winter dirt can do damage if not washed off.

comments?
Old 01-01-2011, 08:09 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I suspect it is more important to get the salt off the car versus allowing to stay on finish and possibly corroding until Spring arrives.

That said, Corvettes really arent the best winter transportation in the snow areas. But should you take it out and want to wash it consider a bucket of warm water and a product like Optimums No Rinse as another option. Those high powered wash bays are likely another choice to help remove salt and contaminents from under the body and suspension area.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:35 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dry salt is inert, it takes moisture to make it corrosive, and if you add heat to the equation it accelerates the process.

One of the best ways to protect a paint surface from this kind of damage is to apply a renewable sacrificial coating of wax and by rinsing the surface as often as feasable, with clean water to remove road salt, and by periodically replaceing the wax

Sacrificial Protection

sac•ri•fi•cial [:designed to be used up or destroyed]

Sacrificial coatings are gradually used up and reach a point where they can no longer protect; when they reach this point they must be renewed. What provides the best protection against environmental damage to paint, which comes in a varied range of threats; acid rain, road salt, tree sap, hydrazine an extremely active acid that is found in jet fuel, industrial fallout, ultra violet radiation (UV-A and B) and other airborne contaminants are very detrimental to a vehicles paint film surface.

They are all forms of environmental contamination and given the right catalyst; reactivity (heat) plus moisture, they will become acidic. During this process the metal absorbs oxygen from the water and forms iron oxide (rust). Given the porosity of paint they permeate the paint matrix down to body metal

Last edited by TOGWT; 01-02-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:53 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I can't understand how washing crap off your car could be bad for it
Old 01-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Salt only reacts when the temperature is warm and the sooner you get it off your vehicle the better. wash often and rince lots. a good coat of wax will help protect the paint

Get notified of new replies

To washing in winter is bad for your car?

Quick Reply: washing in winter is bad for your car?