Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:58 AM
BigTattooMan
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10
Default Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax

Well Meguiar's has a new snake oil out; I tried it today and I have to say it works pretty good, I think it worked better than the NXT.
It went on easy enough but my only complaint is that it can be a PITA to buff out. Not sure the right term for it but I guess I would call it a haze that lingers (kinda oily looking). I've had other waxes do this but this one took a little extra elbow grease to buff out properly. I kept finding hazy spots after I was done
Now its not a magical paint job in a bottle but it gave my beat up paint a nice shine

*** Warning for those faint at heart! My car has lived a full life and the paint shows it. From acid rain to deep pits from road rash, its all there on the hood but I'm sharing this picture of the hood anyway because I was able to capture the difference the wax made

Name:  DSC_0005.jpg
Views: 2599
Size:  75.6 KB

Wax applied to right half of hood, was the most noticeable difference I've received from a wax.

Name:  DSC_0003.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0021.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0012-1.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0010-1.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  116.6 KB

John
Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I got to try the paste wax version over the last couple of days, and it does seem to look impressive on dark colors. I am hoping for increased durability over NXT's version. If so, they've got another winner on their hands.

Nice pics !!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 AM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does look great on the surface of your Corvette, did you put it on thin or maybe too thick?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM
BigTattooMan
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by zoomzoom [email
mazda5@properautocare.com[/email];1576796984]It does look great on the surface of your Corvette, did you put it on thin or maybe too thick?
Thanks. I could have put it on a little thicker than needed I guess; I used the same amount I would for the NXT. Either way I thought this stuff was pretty good.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:46 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Looks good, presently I am using NXT over Rejex.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:34 PM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Nice look.....makes the car shiny and that's it's job...now to check longivity.....
Old 02-17-2011, 03:21 PM
traindude
Race Director

Looks good!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:41 PM
BigTattooMan
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by tlc0706
Nice look.....makes the car shiny and that's it's job...now to check longivity.....
The weather is actually nice this week so I've been putting a lot of miles on the Vette; I'll let you know how it does
Old 02-17-2011, 05:14 PM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You vehicle looks good. With that oily, rainbow look you say you had, did you prep the finish properly? What I have learned with using the over the counter Meguiar's, Liquid Gold and NXt, they go on great, look great, but within a day or so, it loses it luster, collects road dust, and just does not seem to last all that long on appearance. That is why I do not use their stuff much anymore on my other vehicles.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:35 PM
BigTattooMan
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by c6vetteinhouston
You vehicle looks good. With that oily, rainbow look you say you had, did you prep the finish properly? What I have learned with using the over the counter Meguiar's, Liquid Gold and NXt, they go on great, look great, but within a day or so, it loses it luster, collects road dust, and just does not seem to last all that long on appearance. That is why I do not use their stuff much anymore on my other vehicles.
I gave it the full prep. I figured with the salt on the roads lately it would be best to give the full spa treatment. That's actually how I found the new stuff as I was at the store refreshing supplies
As far as lasting goes I know what you mean about the NXT, it did fade sooner than I would have liked. I applied the wax last Monday and have driven the car to work for the past 4 days and IMO the shine is still there.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 PM
boblav
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

I found that less is more, go very thin with this stuff. I have done a couple cars with the ULW, and I like to wipe it off just a couple minutes after application, instead of waiting for it to dry. I noticed some "streaking" if you will, which disappeared after about 8 hours. This stuff is excellent, I really like the paste with a 4" pad on my DA, dip the buffing pad into the can, and apply! I'm thinking of trying out the new Meguiars microfiber system, from what I have heard, it's even better than Ultimate Wax!

Old 05-26-2011, 02:45 PM
FLC6
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Updates as promised?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by boblav
I found that less is more, go very thin with this stuff. I have done a couple cars with the ULW, and I like to wipe it off just a couple minutes after application, instead of waiting for it to dry. I noticed some "streaking" if you will, which disappeared after about 8 hours. This stuff is excellent, I really like the paste with a 4" pad on my DA, dip the buffing pad into the can, and apply! I'm thinking of trying out the new Meguiars microfiber system, from what I have heard, it's even better than Ultimate Wax!

looks quite wet and glossy .... you are correct that when using waxes and sealants less is better. More does NOT mean longer or better protection, just more work to remove.

As for the Megs MF system, your missing out if you have not tried it. It really amplifies what a DA buffer can do.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-...er-system.html
Old 05-31-2011, 04:56 PM
BigTattooMan
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by FLC6
Updates as promised?
Sorry I guess forgot about my own thread
I thought it held up pretty good compared to their other stuff. The fresh waxed look seems to stick around for about 2 weeks for me and the wax as best as I can tell from the extra beading during washing lasts just over a month.
In all I liked it as I thought it had a deeper luster than other stuff I had recently used and the life of the product was up to par with what I would expect
Old 07-03-2012, 01:29 PM
cpmatthew
Racer

Sorry to revive and old thread, but I have a question about using this liquid wax. I keep reading "less is more." What does that mean in terms of how much to use? Should I be able to cover the whole car after wetting the applicator once? Should I wet the applicator again for each new body panel? Thanks.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:38 PM
dragpak
Advanced

Paint looks great guys! Less is more refers to the amount of wax product applied to the pad. Liquids usually can put about of a size of a quarter on a pad and apply to a fender easily and very thin to minimize removal issues later. Once the pad is saturated do not add more product. Ive been using Ultimate paste and liquid lately on all my details and the paint looks really good. I like using Megs #80 and the Ultimate Wax on dark colors. Generally it lasts about three months on a well maintained car. It is better than NXT all around.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cpmatthew
Sorry to revive and old thread, but I have a question about using this liquid wax. I keep reading "less is more." What does that mean in terms of how much to use? Should I be able to cover the whole car after wetting the applicator once? Should I wet the applicator again for each new body panel? Thanks.
alot of people cake on the wax and you see nothing but a white clumpy look its far to much and needs more effort to remove without any additional benefit. In most cases a dime's worth of wax should cover an entire panel. It should be thin and even and look just like a bit of talc over the paint. With a buffing back and forth it should be gone (well after allowing to dry).
Old 07-10-2012, 11:52 AM
cpmatthew
Racer

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
alot of people cake on the wax and you see nothing but a white clumpy look its far to much and needs more effort to remove without any additional benefit. In most cases a dime's worth of wax should cover an entire panel. It should be thin and even and look just like a bit of talc over the paint. With a buffing back and forth it should be gone (well after allowing to dry).
Thanks! I started using a dime sized drop of liquid wax on each panel and have gotten results I am happy with.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cpmatthew
Thanks! I started using a dime sized drop of liquid wax on each panel and have gotten results I am happy with.

Get notified of new replies

To Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax

Quick Reply: Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax