Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Swirl Marks, Black Vette

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Jerky
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Swirl Marks, Black Vette

So it looks like there is not one panel on my black C6 w/o swirl marks or stubborn hard water spots. Since there are no decent pros in my area, it looks like I'm gonna be taking matters into my own hands to get rid of these annoying things once and for all. I'm definitely gonna be ordering a PC 7424 this week, but I'm not sure as to what kind of pads/polishes/swirl removers/lube, etc. to get with it. I use Rejex as my sealant, but am willing to move on if there's a better one out there to protect my hard work Any suggestions?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 AM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear your taking the gloves off and attacking those nasty swirls on your ride! Our KBM Kits are made for that reason....to remove them and make your ride shine like it should be!

Read on:

This should put you in the right direction, Our KBM Kits were made by Kevin Brown and ProperAutoCare.com before anyone else's kits. By following this you should be able to tackle almost anything.

When it comes to using polishes such as Meguiar’s M105 Ultra Cut Compound and Meguiar’s M205 Ultra Finishing Polish, regardless of the machine you choose to use, ProperAutoCare.com recommends starting with the least aggressive method possible. This would be Meguiar's M205 with either a Lake Country Flat 6.5 inch Black Finessing Pad or Meguiar's Soft Buff 2.0 Black Finishing Pad. Meguiar's M205

If this combination does not provide the results necessary, increase the aggressiveness of the technique (longer working time, more pressure, more power) or increase the cut of the product and switch to a medium polishing pad. The next step up would be Meguiar’s M205 Ultra Finishing Polish used with a Lake Country Flat 6.5 inch White Polishing Pad or Meguiar's Soft Buff 2.0 Yellow Polishing Pad.

If this combination does not provide the desired results, increase the aggressiveness of the technique or product selection. The next step would be Meguiar's M105Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound on a Lake Country Flat 6.5 inch White Polishing Pad or Meguiar's Soft Buff 2.0 Yellow Polishing Pad. Note that polishing with M105 will often require a second, follow-up polishing step with M205 to achieve the highest gloss and clearest, swirl free finish. Never mix polishes on the same pad. Switch to a clean, fresh pad included in the kit. If this combination is still not garnering the results you are looking for, increase the aggressiveness of the technique or the product.

Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound used with a Lake Country Flat 6.5 inch Orange Power Pad or Meguiar's Soft Buff 2.0 Burgundy Cutting Pad is an aggressive combination and is capable of “leveling out” most paint defects in one or two applications. If using Meguiar’s M105 Ultra Cut Compound is necessary, follow up with Meguiar’s M205 Ultra Finishing Polish to remove any light polishing haze and restore full clarity and a swirl free finish to the paint. Always test your combination on a test spot, and inspect in good lighting before proceeding to copy that combination over the entire vehicle.Lake Country 6.5 inch Black Finishing Pad

Least to most aggressive:

M205 used with a “Finishing Pad”: Will remove very light defects and result in a high gloss, swirl free finish.

Lake Country 6.5 inch White Polishing PadM205 used with a “Polishing Pad”: Will remove moderate to light defects and compounding marks, and results in a high gloss, swirl free finish on most paints.

M105 used with a “Polishing Pad”: Will remove moderate to heavy defects and will often require follow up polishing with M205.Lake Country 6.5 inch Orange Power Pad

M105 used with a “Power” or ”Cutting Pad”: Will remove moderate to heavy defects on most paints and will often require follow up polishing with M205.

Pad Priming: The new micro non-diminishing abrasives from Meguiar's require that the pores of the pad are evenly primed with product for fastest cutting and highest gloss. It is recommended to "prime" a fresh, dry pad one of three ways:

The Kevin Brown Method (KBM): Apply a liberal amount of polish on the surface of the pad and massage the product into the pores with your fingers until the surface is covered in a fine film of polish. Remove excess polish from the pad, so that it feels slightly damp, by lightly pressing a cotton terry or microfiber cloth against the pad while it spins. Meguiar's M34 Final Inspection

Meguiar's M34: Meguiar's recommends misting the dry pad with M34 Final Inspection, then drawing two lines of product, in an X fashion, across the diameter of the pad. M34 will help the polish spread across the pad during the initial polishing application.

Hybrid: ProperAutoCare.com recommends using a hybrid pad priming system to save on material costs and increase ease of use. Mist the dry pad with M34 Final Inspection then draw an X across the pad. Quickly massage the polishing with your fingers into the pad and cover as much surface as possible.

Regardless of the priming method you choose, once the pad has been primed, apply a small amount of polish to the pad between sections. Three “dime sized” amounts, applied to the outer 1/3 of the pad are sufficient.

Polish one small section at a time, two feet by two feet, per application. Start by placing the pad on the paint and spreading the polish out, then turn the polisher on. Using firm pressure and overlapping left to right, right to left strokes cover the area to be polished.

Polish first going left to right.

Make a second pass over the working area using overlapping “up to down, down to up” strokes. M105 and M205 do not require a typical “buffing cycle” to break down the abrasives. Repeat this cross hatch pattern until the defects are removed or the polish begins to dry. Then reduce pressure and make a few more passes over the area to ensure a high gloss finish.

Create cross-hatch pattern going up & down.

Machine speed has much to do with your confidence level as you learn to use these polishes. We recommend using speed 5 on the PC 7424 or Meguiar’s G-110 and a speed of 3.5-4 on the Flex XC3401VRG Dual-Action Polisher. Overlap your strokes, using a “slow arm speed” while applying firm pressure. We have found success moving the polisher one to three inches per second allows the polish to correct most blemishes.

The amount of “work” or “cut” accomplished with a non-diminishing abrasive is dependent on the pressure applied to the polisher. For maximum cutting action with the Flex XC3401VRG Dual-Action Polisher, apply 15-20 pounds of pressure on the face of the machine. When using the Porter Cable 7424 or Meguiar’s G110 random orbital polishers, use enough pressure to slow, but not stall the rotation of the pad. On your final passes over the work area, reduce the pressure and lightly move the machine over the surface to allow the abrasives to jewel away any micro marring left from your polishing.

After polishing a section, remove residue immediately with a high quality microfiber cloth such as our Dragon Fiber Perfect Shine Buffing Cloth.

Because Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound and Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polishes' abrasives do not breakdown in the traditional sense, the polishes can be sensitive to contamination. During the polishing process, a trace amount of paint is removed, this can cause the non-diminishing abrasives to “clump” together with the spent paint particles. This can increase the polishing haze left on the paint from heavy polishing, effecting the finish left behind.

ProperAutoCare.com recommends cleaning your pads often by pressing a cotton terry or microfiber cloth against the pad while it spins on the machine. To completely wash the pads use Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder.

For a LSP that looks great and provide you with the protection then look no further, we got the one that will put your mind at ease and a shine like no other. If you're looking for a high-definition, laser-sharp shine guaranteed to turn heads, look no further. This polymer has a crystal structure that refracts light, similar to a diamond, to create a vibrant, high-energy, super slippery, head-turning finish. It can be used by itself as the final sealant or as the foundation of BLACKFIRE's signature Wet-Ice over Fire shine.

Blackfire Wet Diamond, All finish Paint Protection is a paint-friendly, oil-in-water, emulsion safe for all finishes with or without a clear coat. This emulsion contains a small amount of a very refined mineral spirit in a water base. Multiple coats can be layered to deepen the gloss without drying or weakening the paint.
BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond, All Finish Paint Protection can be applied by hand or dual-action, machine polisher. It applies easily and buffs off uniformly even in climates of high heat and high humidity. You simply walk around your car wiping on and buffing off as you go.

The incredible shine is resistant to detergent washings and ultraviolet radiation. This keeps your car’s finish protected month after month and wash after wash.

Angelo ….Your Car Care FriendEmail me at Angelo.g@properautocare.com
Toll Free 1-800-628-7596

The Most Talk About Sealant In the World Blackfire Wet Diamond

Use Coupon Code " Corvette10 " For 10% Discount For All Corvette Members
Old 02-15-2011, 11:12 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I have done a few Black Vehicles and Vettes, I have found Zoomzoom is spot on with using Meguires 105/205 after a claying. Depending on the shape of the vehicle depends on the cutting pad orange or yellow, I usually do a test with orange first if I need more cutting power I move to the yellow pad. Once I am done with the cutting I use a white pad for the 205. After the second coat I prefer to use Wolfgang Sealant on Vettes eaiser on and off than my other favorite Rejex and it does shine better and works well with the next day doing a waxing with Wolfgang Fuzion wax for a wet and deeper shine. The key I see with any vehicle is washing and drying, two buckets and clean towels I use waffle ones myself
Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

The newer PC-XP is an upgrade to the original 7424 and a bit more powerful. You will however need to grab a backing plate, pads, and polishes to correctly polish paint. I would however suggest the more powerful Griots Random Orbital. It does already come with a backing plate which could save some dollars. You will then add some 6.5 inch pads, preferably the Hydro-tech offerings.

Now as far as polishes go, I much prefer the Menzerna polishes SIP/085rd on the harder Vette clearcoat. You can certainly also consider the Megs 105/205 but realize each product is quite different in design. Menzerna uses diminishing abrasives (break down over use) while Megs use non-diminishing abrasives (cut at same level entire use). Both products are the best of the best. Best part, you can still use Rejex after either polish system to lock in the hard work.

http://autogeek.net/bupo.html
Also video's to help on same page .... let us know if we can earn your business.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

This is normal on any car these swirl marks. People don't realise that black just shows that little more in the sunlight. Go get em tiger get rid of those light scratches and make her all like a cut diamond ! Always great advice from the vendors as well. Take your time it wont be a 10 second job and the more energy and patience you have the better the job will turn out. I would love to see a finished photo. Stewy
Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Jerky
Instructor

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek

Now as far as polishes go, I much prefer the Menzerna polishes SIP/085rd on the harder Vette clearcoat. You can certainly also consider the Megs 105/205 but realize each product is quite different in design. Menzerna uses diminishing abrasives (break down over use) while Megs use non-diminishing abrasives (cut at same level entire use).
Do you mean that the Menzera will break down on its own after it's applied, or do you mean it has a shelf life?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jerky
Do you mean that the Menzera will break down on its own after it's applied, or do you mean it has a shelf life?
No it breaks down as your applying it on the paint work. The chemicals are designed to work into the paint as your buffing. That's why I say not to apply to much pressure on the buff. Give your arms a break let the polish do the work it was designed to do. Apply slight pressure to balance the buff as it spins but let the Menzerna polish do the work not your arms. It's very, very good stuff. I wonder what it's like mixed with bourbon LOL....... Stewy
Old 02-18-2011, 03:57 PM
LSfanaticD
Intermediate

The guys are spot on, however I didn't have the dough to buy a expensive buffer so here's what I did. I went to Walmart and picked up a turtle wax 3500 rpm orbital buffer, went to autozone and picked up a couple different pads for it, a couple foam, and a couple boxes of the polishing micro fiber ones. I also picked up Meguiars swirl X remover, meguiars show glaze, and nxt wax. The paint on my black 07 was in pretty good shape minus the swirl marks so I skipped the clay bay. But after hitting it with the swirl remover, show glaze and the wax, OMG it looked incredible. It got rid of all my swirl marks and the paint looked like it was still wet.

Like I said this was kind of the budget way and I'm sure the buffer above will probably be a little better but for me the cheap one did exactly what I was wanting.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:00 PM
08BLACKZ06
Intermediate

The polish you use is up to you as there are a lot of good ones, but I will say that 6.5 pads suck for the PC. I much prefer the 5.5 inch pads, as they work much faster and deliver a better finish. The pc IMO does not have enough power for 6.5 inch pads.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:16 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LSfanaticD
The guys are spot on, however I didn't have the dough to buy a expensive buffer so here's what I did. I went to Walmart and picked up a turtle wax 3500 rpm orbital buffer, went to autozone and picked up a couple different pads for it, a couple foam, and a couple boxes of the polishing micro fiber ones. I also picked up Meguiars swirl X remover, meguiars show glaze, and nxt wax. The paint on my black 07 was in pretty good shape minus the swirl marks so I skipped the clay bay. But after hitting it with the swirl remover, show glaze and the wax, OMG it looked incredible. It got rid of all my swirl marks and the paint looked like it was still wet.

Like I said this was kind of the budget way and I'm sure the buffer above will probably be a little better but for me the cheap one did exactly what I was wanting.
unfortunately the buffer you used is likely best used for wax application/remova versus swirl removing. The Vette has a very hard clearcoat and can be hard to repair/correct even with great polishes and machines that work with them. The show glaze likely hid and filled the swirls for the time which made the look nice. If you find that after the 1st wash the swirls reappear (as glaze will wash away) then consider returning the buffer or continue using the glaze by hand until you can budget in a more powerful unit and some polishes. Either way, its whats best for you and it sounds like you are currently happy with results. If you need additional help just ask ...
Old 03-23-2011, 01:30 AM
Jerky
Instructor

Thanks, everybody! After careful research I decided to go with the Menzerna products...thanks Autogeek! Hopefully I'll be able to do some detailing this weekend, and I'll post some pics when I'm done!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 AM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, everybody! After careful research I decided to go with the Menzerna products...thanks Autogeek! Hopefully I'll be able to do some detailing this weekend, and I'll post some pics when I'm done!
Which Menzerna products did you choose?

Properautocare.com was the first, by about 5 years, to introduce Menzerna products to the US market, so we naturally are proud when anybody gets great results from them! Given our huge experience advantage in selling these products and employing a staff of professional detailers who have used these products for 5 years (or more) we feel we know the limitations of these products better than those who are new to the game.

If you have deeper scratches or heavy water etching you are going to be up against a wall using a Porter Cable and Menzerna though. While Menzerna SIP is a great product, it is really the most aggressive Menzerna product that should be used with a random orbital polisher, it will not have the power to correct deep defects from the Corvette's rock hard clear coat.

Being that your in Orlando, shoot me a PM if you need some help or would like to sample some Meguiar's M105 or try some of the newer DA polishing systems like the Meguiar's DA Microfiber System.

Best,

Todd
Old 03-23-2011, 05:12 PM
stig-zzz
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TH0001@properautocare.com

Properautocare.com was the first, by about 5 years, to introduce Menzerna products to the US market, so we naturally are proud when anybody gets great results from them! Given our huge experience advantage in selling these products and employing a staff of professional detailers who have used these products for 5 years (or more) we feel we know the limitations of these products better than those who are new to the game.

If you have deeper scratches or heavy water etching you are going to be up against a wall using a Porter Cable and Menzerna though. While Menzerna SIP is a great product, it is really the most aggressive Menzerna product that should be used with a random orbital polisher, it will not have the power to correct deep defects from the Corvette's rock hard clear coat.

Being that your in Orlando, shoot me a PM if you need some help or would like to sample some Meguiar's M105 or try some of the newer DA polishing systems like the Meguiar's DA Microfiber System.

Best,

Todd
Jerky just to let you no Todd is A PROFESSIONAL WORLD CLASS MASTER DETAILER he works on auto's worth millions and whole collections worth i couldn't even guess Todd is truly one of the nicest guys you will ever meet very giving with his vast knowledge and expert experience to me and many others here on the corvette forum (and other forums as well)
You should take him up on his offer for a chance to learn and watch a true master at work it's a amazing offer and one hellva gift Way to go Todd
John Stig
Old 03-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Jerky
Instructor

Best,

Todd
Thanks, Todd! Any help or guidance you can provide will be much appreciated! I'll be applying the SIP/85rd combination of Menzerna products using a PC. I don't think I have any severe scratches...just a ton of swirl marks. I'll PM you some pics so you can see what I'm up against. I'm actually in the East Orlando area, so I'm not too far away...I'd love to see what you guys can do

Last edited by Jerky; 03-23-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:07 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

What I use on my Black '07 using my old worn out PC-7424 with Menzerna SIP PO-83 on an orange pad and PO-106 FA on a white pad to finish. Sometimes if needed, I will use the PO-106 FA on a Gray pad for a show car burnish. Finish it with Wolfgang 3.0 sealer and top it all off with Pinnacle Sovereign Carnuba paste wax. Perfect show car results. Works for me!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Bad_Brad
Instructor

I purchased a used 06 Corvette 2 years ago, and I always thought that the finish was in real good shape. I detailed, waxed, etc. etc. and was always satisfied with the results. One day at my friends shop, he had a 1000 watt light setting on the floor that showed the REAL truth on this car. I was blown away at the amount of scratches all over this vehicle. That day started me on my long journey of research, studying, and the subsequent purchase of my PC 7424XP from Autogeeks. I also decided to pick up a 1000 watt light set from Lowes. In my opinion the lighting is one of the most important aspects of this polishing process. The light shows all of the imperfections that my normal flourescent garage lighting just does not show. So much so in fact, that I also realized how bad my dark colored 2005 Avalanche was . I started with that vehicle (practiced on the DD), and then worked on the Vette last past weekend. I was completley amazed at the results and how the scratches were removed. In my opinion you cannot go wrong with the PC from Autogeeks.

Last edited by Bad_Brad; 05-16-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:11 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Absolutely beautiful before and after pics ... results are clearly evident. And thanks for the plug too.

Get notified of new replies

To Swirl Marks, Black Vette

Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Jerky
Instructor

Hey guys,
Just a quick update....after 3 days of back breaking detail work, the Vette is 90% done! I was able to get most of the swirl marks out, but not all. However, it was a HUGE improvement. Big thanks to Autogeek, ZoomZoom, & Todd for hooking me up with the bulk of my products, and to Wayne (C6vetteinhouston) for his detailed detailing advice. Also, since I work right down the street from Eckler's, I took a stroll down there and picked up some Zaino. In summary, here's what I did:
1. washed w/ Dawn soap
2. clay bar
3. washed again w/ Meguiairs car wash
4. Menzerna SIP w/ a PC 7424X and an orange pad
5. Menzerna 085RD w/ a white pad
6. 3 coats of Zaino Z5 glaze w/ ZFX additive (w/ Z6 in between coats)
7. 2 coats of Zaino Z2 (w/ Z6 in between coats)

Still need to do the interior, trim, and the exhausts. Hopefully by this weekend, I'll have some pics up!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:21 AM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys,
Just a quick update....after 3 days of back breaking detail work, the Vette is 90% done! I was able to get most of the swirl marks out, but not all. However, it was a HUGE improvement. Big thanks to Autogeek, ZoomZoom, & Todd for hooking me up with the bulk of my products, and to Wayne (C6vetteinhouston) for his detailed detailing advice. Also, since I work right down the street from Eckler's, I took a stroll down there and picked up some Zaino. In summary, here's what I did:
1. washed w/ Dawn soap
2. clay bar
3. washed again w/ Meguiairs car wash
4. Menzerna SIP w/ a PC 7424X and an orange pad
5. Menzerna 085RD w/ a white pad
6. 3 coats of Zaino Z5 glaze w/ ZFX additive (w/ Z6 in between coats)
7. 2 coats of Zaino Z2 (w/ Z6 in between coats)

Still need to do the interior, trim, and the exhausts. Hopefully by this weekend, I'll have some pics up!
Awesome! Please don't hesitate to give give me a shout or PM if there is anything I can help you will. I will be out of town the next couple of days buffing out a Bugatti Veyron SS.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:05 AM
b0xm0ns73r
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome! Please don't hesitate to give give me a shout or PM if there is anything I can help you will. I will be out of town the next couple of days buffing out a Bugatti Veyron SS.
It's not this one is it? Cause I don't think that'll buff out

You guys are a wealth of information. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with all of us noobs

Last edited by b0xm0ns73r; 03-31-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Swirl Marks, Black Vette