Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Hard Water car washing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 03:39 PM
Black01Coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Water car washing

For those of you who have well water, how do you wash your car. Even with the water softener there are these horrible water spots. I would wash my car in nyc and not have to worry about this, but there's a drought warning, so I'm stuck washing my car at my girlfriends in poughkeepsie, ny. The water spots were everywhere and z-6 couldn't take care of it. It took off the white residue but the outline of some of the spots was still there :mad . How do you guys wash your cars with well water?
Old 04-17-2002, 05:39 PM
Sgerh
Advanced

Default Re: Hard Water car washing (Black01Coupe)

I had a similar problem when I had my black 96. After two attempts to wash it, and having to polish out the hard water spots, I decided to go to a manual car wash where you could get out and wash it yourself. I would just use their water to rinse. I would bring my own bucket and zaino soap. It worked for me. It does get really expensive to this because it usually takes two cycles to rinse, soap, and rerinse.

I am not sure if this is an option with your water rules, but we were allowed to use car washes here in florida during our water restrictions of last year.

Scott
Old 04-17-2002, 05:44 PM
ncvetteman
Safety Car

Default Re: Hard Water car washing (Black01Coupe)

I wouldn't wash it with hard water... it turned the windsheilds on my 96 GT purple over time.... I assume thats the cause.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:54 PM
mhaber
Racer

Default Re: Hard Water car washing (ncvetteman)

Our water is extremely hard and we have no choice but to use it. My only solution over the years is to wash the car early, before the sun hits it, or late at night, just as the sun is setting. This usually keeps the spots from drying. I also never spray the car, but use the hose without a nozzle and let the water run off the car. This really works to cut down on spotting. If I must wash when the sun is up, I wash one section at a time, then dry it. This doesn't take as long as it sounds, as long as you use the hose with no nozzle so you're not constantly overspraying the previoulsy clean and dry sections.

Get notified of new replies

To Hard Water car washing

Quick Reply: Hard Water car washing