Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

another NXT 2.0 issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 03:35 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default another NXT 2.0 issue

just when i thought i was confident polishing and detailing cars...

after washing and drying the Z i apply some meguiars NXT 2.0 using a clean black wax applicator pad with my PC7424 set on about 2-3. I apply a light even coat and move to the next panel. once the next panel is complete, i go back to the first one and wipe it with clean microfiber, flip it, and do a final wipe. once the car was complete i did one final wipe using a light spray of meguiars ultimate detail spray and more fresh microfiber. It looked good until i saw it at night when some car headlights shined on it. it almost looked like buffer holograms but it was actually wipe marks from either removing the wax or the detail spray. what would make this happen ? the temp was around 80 degrees in the shade light humidity.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:52 PM
chupr0kabra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest applying just about any wax by hand. I've found when I use a machine, I always use too much, and end up with exactly the situation you're talking about.

As an alternative, you could get a MF bonnet for your PC/pads and use that for buffing. Just make sure that bonnet is clean, so you don't make new swirls.

-Mike
Old 05-13-2011, 07:58 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

NXT2.0 is supposed to be applied by hand, not a orbital device.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:33 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

A thin even coat is preferred plus you likely need more curing time due to the humidity.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkRx
just when i thought i was confident polishing and detailing cars...

after washing and drying the Z i apply some meguiars NXT 2.0 using a clean black wax applicator pad with my PC7424 set on about 2-3. I apply a light even coat and move to the next panel. once the next panel is complete, i go back to the first one and wipe it with clean microfiber, flip it, and do a final wipe. once the car was complete i did one final wipe using a light spray of meguiars ultimate detail spray and more fresh microfiber. It looked good until i saw it at night when some car headlights shined on it. it almost looked like buffer holograms but it was actually wipe marks from either removing the wax or the detail spray. what would make this happen ? the temp was around 80 degrees in the shade light humidity.
I would recommend giving NXT 2.0 at least 30-45 minutes of cure time before removal.

Also apply it 'whisper thin'. 3 drops should cover at least 2 panels, if you can see it going on (even barely) you are good!

Best

Todd
Old 05-15-2011, 11:49 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You really have to let NXT cure overnight after you have taken it off. And make sure you let it dry before you start taking it off as the poster Todd suggested.

It is not the type of sealant where you do one section at a time and then take it off. You do the whole car, and then start taking it off at where you started. If you used a lot, like you did, wait 30 more minutes.

When I apply NXT, I do a really light coat and then take it off after it's dried. I then go over it a second time with a fresh microfiber towel. This second wipe down really helps.

Then, the next morning, I simply wipe down the car a third time with another dry microfiber cloth. Any haze left the previous day is gone and the NXT is really starting to pop.

Then, the following weekend, I wash and do a quick detailer. Now, the NXT is shining even more.

The key is giving that NXT time to cure. I wouldn't put anything on top of it for at least 24 hours. I think NXT is a lot like Rejex. It needs a good day or night to cure.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:11 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it was your detail spray...I had that problem once with their spray. Never used it again! I don't recall, but I may (like you) have used it immediately after application of polish.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used nxt on my gt500. It's great but, agreed....let it dry then wipe.....then I went back over the car again. Let it sit overnight....sand next day do QD wipe down....smooth as glass and looks like you can stick your finger in the paint wet!!!

Get notified of new replies

To another NXT 2.0 issue

Quick Reply: another NXT 2.0 issue