Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wax in addition to Meguiars MF / DA correction system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Default Wax in addition to Meguiars MF / DA correction system?

I am wondering if I should (or need) to wax the car (blk Z06) after going over it with Meguiars micro fiber paint correction system.

I've gone over the car twice now with this system and the polish just doesn't seam to stick very long. The only reason I've done this twice is because the first time I did it, I was just learning how to use the product. The second time I had much better results. After one wash the car is no longer 'slippery' to the touch. Do I just go over the car another time with the polish, use something else, or call it good?

thanks.....mike
Old 05-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Innovative714
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I find that a nice application of M21 with a Black Soft Buff 2.0 pad definitley does the trick to compliment the the great results of the MF D/A system...Did you use the 2 step system or only the finishing wax?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Thank you. Yes, I used the two part system.

I'm not very familiar with detailing products. What's M21 and where would I find one of the buffing pads you mention?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:30 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

The Finishing Wax does contain its own protection abilities with polymers and carnauba. You can certainly try and top it with a pure wax as desired however.

http://www.autogeek.net/meg26hitpasw.html

and you can get all your supplies with us at www.autogeek.net
Old 05-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Thanks Nick. At the rate I've been buying stuff from you guys, I might as well set up an account.......

So is there a reason to stick with Meguires products, or would it be OK to use other brands?

Is there an advantage to using one of the synthetic based waxes over regular?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:30 AM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does have its own protection when finishing with the DA System, but if you want to add more then no problem in that dept. Use a good Carnauba paste wax and you're good to go.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:48 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Thanks Nick. At the rate I've been buying stuff from you guys, I might as well set up an account.......

So is there a reason to stick with Meguires products, or would it be OK to use other brands?

Is there an advantage to using one of the synthetic based waxes over regular?
it was actually Scott

Paint sealants (synthetic waxes) want to bond to clean and well prepped paint. Most really dont like the oils found in most carnauba waxes. Since the Finishing Wax has carnauba in it already, I would use a compatible pure wax topper as desired. Pinnacle, Dodo, Poorboys, and more will work also.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Like dem Vettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use Meguiars #21 over the Meguiars Show Car Glaze (pure polish, no cleaners or wax). The #21 goes on easily with the Porter Cable 7424. I apply multiple coats of #21 after waiting eight hours for each application to cure. Meguiars states that you can apply carnauba wax over the sealant after eight hours for a deeper shine.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
it was actually Scott

Paint sealants (synthetic waxes) want to bond to clean and well prepped paint. Most really dont like the oils found in most carnauba waxes. Since the Finishing Wax has carnauba in it already, I would use a compatible pure wax topper as desired. Pinnacle, Dodo, Poorboys, and more will work also.
oh...hi Scott!

thanks for that info. I'll order some in a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To Wax in addition to Meguiars MF / DA correction system?

Quick Reply: Wax in addition to Meguiars MF / DA correction system?