Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How long will a clay bar last??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:38 PM
redjetty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How long will a clay bar last??

We've heard how to do the claying of a car and other nice tips and things,, my questions is how many cars can one clay bar do? or how many times ? or does a clay bar have a shelf life if stored in an air tight container??? just wondering,, Im sure they dont last a lifetime,,,, any thoughts?? thanks rj
Old 06-15-2011, 07:09 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

It all depends on how much of the imbedded contaminants the clay bar has picked up. Once they start getting discolored and gritty they should be tossed. I have tossed them after 1 car and sometimes I can get 2 or 3 cars out of 1 bar if the cars don't have too much debris on the paint. They last quite a while if you keep them in an enclosed cellophane bag.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:18 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,246 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
It all depends on how much of the imbedded contaminants the clay bar has picked up. Once they start getting discolored and gritty they should be tossed. I have tossed them after 1 car and sometimes I can get 2 or 3 cars out of 1 bar if the cars don't have too much debris on the paint. They last quite a while if you keep them in an enclosed cellophane bag.
I keep my used clay in an airtight zip-loc bag. I never use a used claybar on my Black C-6. I recycle them down to the DD's.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:52 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

normally they can last a year or more if used occassionally and stored properly. Problem is you usually drop one or it gets contaminated far quicker than wearing out. Alot cut the bar into pieces and then flatten.

Get notified of new replies

To How long will a clay bar last??

Quick Reply: How long will a clay bar last??