Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Need some help from fellow Zaino users...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Austin83
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help from fellow Zaino users...

I always have trouble with Zaino streaking. I know this is a sign of applying too much Zaino. My problem areas appear to be where I first start applying the Zaino after putting it on my applicator pad. After polishing a 3 ft by 3 ft area the pad is usually perfect for applying it thin enough. I always spray my applicator pad with distilled water and put a thin X or N of Z2 or Z5 on the applicator pad and spread it with my finger. I always end up having to re-wash with Z7 to remove the streaks (Z6 or damp towel has never removed the streaks.) This makes for a long and not so fun process. This is on a black vehicle so the streaks are 10X worse looking. Maybe a N or an X on the applicator pad is too much, but this is what the instructions say. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:09 AM
dougatl
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Common problem, and yes, less is more. I usually spray the pad w/a shot of Z6 each time before I put a drop on the pad and usually it's just a drop. Looks like little or no product is being applied but it is as the Z2 or 5 whichever you're using gets even thinner due to the spray of 6.
Humidity also plays a huge role, here in the south with it being 90 degrees and plenty of humidity, the product takes longer to dry, but to me it's well worth it. Zaino user since 2000.
Doug

Old 07-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by dougatl
Common problem, and yes, less is more. I usually spray the pad w/a shot of Z6 each time before I put a drop on the pad and usually it's just a drop. Looks like little or no product is being applied but it is as the Z2 or 5 whichever you're using gets even thinner due to the spray of 6.
Without seeing how much, I am guessing the initial Z or N is simply too much product. In our shop we do an X of no more the 5-6 pin head size dots per slash and never have the streaking issue.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,552 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I always prime the pad with a couple of good squirts of Z6. I have found priming with water (even distilled) can cause streaking in the area initially applied. My first application is usually in less conspicuous areas until the pad is fully "impregnated" with Z2, Z5 or whichever product I am applying. Use light pressure when applying. Exerting too much pressure on the pad can also cause streaking. Just let it glide across the surface.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Timbrr
Pro

Default Applying Zaino

I use a spritz of detail spray to start the process. Try putting the Z in the middle of your pad about the size of a dime or quarter. Don't be afraid to work the product into the panel using overlapping back & forth motions. Remember: thin is in
Old 07-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Toms03Z
Instructor

dougatl mentioned humidity and I believe this is the biggest issue in getting Zaino to dry.

On a day with high humidity I wouldn't even waste my time trying to apply it. I consider a high humidity day around 60% and higher. I remember years ago when I first starting using Zaino I tried to apply it on a rainy day. I just ended up smearing it around all day and making a mess.

On a nice dry day with low humidity, Zaino will dry quickly (15 mins. or less) and wipe off easily. Follow up with a wipedown with Z6 and it's a fairly quick and easy process.

For years now, before I think of applying a coat of Zaino, I check the weather forecast first.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some help from fellow Zaino users...

Quick Reply: Need some help from fellow Zaino users...