Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Paint correction and polish

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 04:53 PM
KRS
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Paint correction and polish

Is there anyone reputable in the Schaumburg/Elk Grove area that does this? Looking for an estimate......

Last edited by KRS; 04-09-2024 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-08-2024, 06:52 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,590 Posts

A little farther east of there, but Chicago Auto Pros in Glenview is one of the best around.

https://www.chicagoautopros.com/
The following users liked this post:
KRS (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 08:47 AM
KRS
Advanced

Thank you, may attempt it myself but I am a newbie and scared to screw up the paint, lol
Old 04-10-2024, 01:45 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

KRS, Could you describe the damage that needs correction on year, color, model Corvette...................

I encourage you to invest in a decent quality polisher (machine), best quality Chemicals and Pads and do your self...........
Working Panel by Panel and taking your time, your not going to screw anything up...........

Now then if you have plenty of discretionary $$$$ , then what the heck pay a pro...........
but many of us in this forum, take pride to do our own work and know that we are
doing the BEST job
The following 2 users liked this post by CamarosRus:
KRS (04-10-2024), sonicss33 (04-13-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 03:21 PM
KRS
Advanced

Originally Posted by CamarosRus
KRS, Could you describe the damage that needs correction on year, color, model Corvette...................

I encourage you to invest in a decent quality polisher (machine), best quality Chemicals and Pads and do your self...........
Working Panel by Panel and taking your time, your not going to screw anything up...........

Now then if you have plenty of discretionary $$$$ , then what the heck pay a pro...........
but many of us in this forum, take pride to do our own work and know that we are
doing the BEST job
Sure will, 2009 Jet Stream Blue Coupe..........this color does hide things pretty well, I really don't see any swirl marks but do see some of those little micro maybe dust scratches that I can see if the sun hits the hood just right. I did buy a Porter Cable 7424XP machine, but there are so many different products and pad colors out there I am not sure which way to go. Any suggestions and other info would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-10-2024, 05:20 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by KRS
Sure will, 2009 Jet Stream Blue Coupe..........this color does hide things pretty well, I really don't see any swirl marks but do see some of those little micro maybe dust scratches that I can see if the sun hits the hood just right. I did buy a Porter Cable 7424XP machine, but there are so many different products and pad colors out there I am not sure which way to go. Any suggestions and other info would be greatly appreciated
Start with test patches, 8-12" squares.

You will want to pick a pad vendor, I use Lake Country, but Rupes and others are out there. Start with the least aggressive pad, least aggressive polish, and alternate your way up. See what gets the panel to your preference of cleared up, if it gets the light scratches off in the Sunlight, go with that. For what you've stated, I would probably test a LC Orange with a finishing polish and a White with a regular correcting compound or medium polish and work up from there in pad/compound combos. I typically use Jescar polishes for these, but again Rupes, Meguiars, etc. have a series. If I had bad swirls or scratches, I would probably skip the Yellow pad and go with a Meguiars MF pad.

So thats where the small trial bottles come in handy, you can try several to see what works. You do want to always go back with a finishing polish and the least aggressive cut to take out any marring that an aggressive pad/compound combo put on.

Its pretty hard to screw up badly with a DA polisher, corvette clear is tough. Its amazing how much you have to work them out when its so damn easy to put the swirls on. A rotary buffer is another story.

Last edited by vader86; 04-11-2024 at 04:36 PM.
KRS (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 04:25 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

The Porta Cable is an OK buffer, had one for some years before I went with the Adams Swirl Killer. The paint or should I say clear coat is extremely hard so a random orbital buffer you will not hurt the paint. I suggest you start with a full wash and then clay bar the car before stating the paint correction. Start with a mild polish and do a small area and see if it is correcting it. If not move up to a stronger polish. Once you get that area looking the way you want it, go ahead and do the rest of the car.
I also suggest you look at Adams Detail Products and look at the videos. They can help a lot. You can find them on their site or simply Google Adams Detail videos.
KRS (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 09:49 AM
KRS
Advanced

Originally Posted by vader86
Start with test patches, 8-12" squares.

You will want to pick a pad vendor, I use Lake Country, but Rupes and others are out there. Start with the least aggressive pad, least aggressive polish, and alternate your way up. See what gets the panel to your preference of cleared up, if it gets the light scratches off in the Sunlight, go with that. For what you've stated, I would probably test a LC Orange with a finishing polish and a White with a regular correcting compound or medium polish and work up from there in pad/compound combos. I typically use Jescar polishes for these, but again Rupes, Meguiars, etc. have a series. If I had bad swirls or scratches, I would probably skip the Yellow pad and go with a Meguiars MF pad.

So thats where the small trial bottles come in handy, you can try several to see what works. You do want to always go back with a finishing polish and the least aggressive cut to take out any marring that an aggressive pad/compound combo put on.

Its pretty hard to screw up badly with a DA polisher, corvette clear is tough. Its amazing how much you have to work them out when its so damn easy to put the swirls on. A rotary buffer is another story.
which Jescar do you think best? There are so many on their website it is confusing
Old 04-12-2024, 10:13 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KRS
which Jescar do you think best? There are so many on their website it is confusing
I have the red Jescar Compound and the blue finishing polish. Usually use those with the Orange and White LC, sometimes I need the Yellow pad.
KRS (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 11:09 AM
KRS
Advanced

Originally Posted by vader86
I have the red Jescar Compound and the blue finishing polish. Usually use those with the Orange and White LC, sometimes I need the Yellow pad.
Great thank you, so the yellow is cutting and the white finishing then?
Old 04-12-2024, 11:34 AM
signify
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I have used them all but Jescar i find is the best! Just did my new truck with little product and the final hard finish is amazing. I have used Zymol and in its day was great and Meguiars all i have is bottles were the plastic containers shattered!
KRS (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 11:49 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KRS
Great thank you, so the yellow is cutting and the white finishing then?
Yellow is cut, orange is light cut, white polishing
KRS (04-12-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Paint correction and polish

Quick Reply: Paint correction and polish