Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Hard Water & Washing

Old 03-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Hard Water & Washing

Hard water at the house, every time I wash all I end up with is hard water spots. Any idea how to /what product can be used so I dont have to spend hours removing the hard water spots? Considered waterless car wash but I only see that creating swirl marks.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:36 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

thats why I use the water from my water softner and it still has some spots...I hear the Mr Clean car wash thing works well for that
Old 03-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Autogeek sells inline softners/filters for your garden hose. You may try that route.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I go to Wal Mart and buy an inline water filter made for RV's that threads into the hose line. Inexpensive and works well. I replace it maybe every two years.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:10 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Optimum No Rinse has a water conditioner in it, I know of many that add a capful in their normal wash soap and have nothing but positive results.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

We also carry two products that can be used effectively, one is an attachment to your current water system and the other is the CrSpotless System.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 AM
dun4791
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the cr spotless from auto geek, works perfectly and I have very hard water. Highly recommended
Old 03-11-2012, 05:23 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How are you drying it? We have really hard water down here in Fla and I once used a leaf blower to dry it. Bad move. If you blow dry a car with my water supply with anything - master blaster, leaf blower, etc. - you get water marks. They were a bear to get off, too.

What I do is just keep rinsing as I wash. I always keep the car hosed down. Even if I am on the other side, I will rinse down the opposite side, the hood and trunk just to keep it wet.

Then I use two fairly large microfiber towels I got from Target. After the last rinse, I hit the windshield and the hood and the trunk first and I am moving pretty fast just to get the majority of the water off. The hood, trunk and windshield and windows are probably most susceptible to the water spots.

The first towel is pretty wet by that point, so I just toss it in the laundry basket and use the second to finish the sides and go back over the hood, trunk and windshield.

Then I'm either waxing or quick-waxing. The key is keeping the whole car wet during washing and to move pretty quickly when you first dry.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:28 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by tampatopless
How are you drying it? We have really hard water down here in Fla and I once used a leaf blower to dry it. Bad move. If you blow dry a car with my water supply with anything - master blaster, leaf blower, etc. - you get water marks. They were a bear to get off, too.

What I do is just keep rinsing as I wash. I always keep the car hosed down. Even if I am on the other side, I will rinse down the opposite side, the hood and trunk just to keep it wet.

Then I use two fairly large microfiber towels I got from Target. After the last rinse, I hit the windshield and the hood and the trunk first and I am moving pretty fast just to get the majority of the water off. The hood, trunk and windshield and windows are probably most susceptible to the water spots.

The first towel is pretty wet by that point, so I just toss it in the laundry basket and use the second to finish the sides and go back over the hood, trunk and windshield.

Then I'm either waxing or quick-waxing. The key is keeping the whole car wet during washing and to move pretty quickly when you first dry.
That's what I do as well. Wash and rinse wash and rinse wash and rinse

Then dry.

The trick also is to not wash in the heat/sun of the day. I typically wash mine in the evening when the sun is going down and not so intense.

BUT, you can wash completely and then dry as long as you go back over it with a detailer of some sort. That's not long enough to develop water spots.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:45 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by tampatopless

try this ....

mix up a spray of Optimum No Rinse and Water in a Quick Detailer form. Then remove the excess water with the leaf blower or MasterBlaster outside of direct sunlight. Go back and spritz each panel one to two times and wipe off. The conditioner will help with hard water and the wipe with a well lubricated spray will not leave any marring and leave some gloss too.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:07 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

One way to remove a lot of the water is to remove the nozzle and then hose off the car. More of the water drains off in sheets. It really helps if you have tons of coats of wax/sealer on the car.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

hard water here as well..........always wash / rinse in the shade, properly waxed car 'always' washes easily, dry only with a quality chamois, any residual 'marks' easily taken care of with Meguiars 'Detail' spray.

Get notified of new replies

To Hard Water & Washing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard Water & Washing