Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Had Eric of Tru Shine Detailing come out and Detail Electron Blue C5

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:43 PM
duegatti
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had Eric of Tru Shine Detailing come out and Detail Electron Blue C5

Hi Everyone, I started a thread a few months back requesting information about paint correction in East Tennessee, I finally had Eric of Tru Shine Detailing out of Knoxville TN drive up and do a Full paint correction and Opti-Guard on my C5.

Here is the detailed write up that he put together from another forum. hope you enjoy.

Originally Posted by Eric_Witt
For this detail, I traveled out to Dandrige TN to take on a this beautiful Electron Blue Metallic C5 corvette.
The customer wanted the paint perfect and swirl free and he wanted me to apply Optimum coating, aka Opti-guard.
Opti-Guard or Opti-Coat is a Semi permanent coating that will prevent your paint from getting damaged by bird poop, bug guts, acid rain. it will never fade, and you will never have to wax your car again. will will discuss more of this product later on in the write up.

Lets get this going and see what we are working with.

When I arrived the car wasn't in that bad of condition, but there were a few areas that needed attention.

It was very difficult to capture some of the defects due to all the metallic in the paint.

I start with cleaning the wheels. For this car, I used P21s wheel Gel. it is a pH balanced wheel cleaner that is safe for any type of wheel surface. and has GREAT cleaning abilities.

For getting deep into the wheels when cleaning I grab my EZ detail brush and the Wheel woolie. these brushes are great for getting into tight spots at any angle. Especially for those wide corvette wheels.

Next is the Foam Bath, I prerinse the surface dislodging and heavy and loose debris of the paint and then coat the entire car with a thick foam.
This gives the dirt a suspension and lubrication while washing with the sheep skin mitt.

Grit guards and sheep skin mitts are Detailing 101, a must have in every arsenal

Next the car is dried off and brought in for the surface prep. I clay the surface using clay magic blue fine clay and tape off all plastic trim with Meguiars prep tape.

Like I said before, it was a little difficult to show the defects with so much metallic, but here are a few pics of before and afters.

Driver fender before

After

Here is a pic of the gas cap before and after.

The taillights were pretty bad, so I used a 4in LC cyan pad and m105 to polish them out.

Here is the area around the convertible top. This vette had some pretty bad scratches around where it comes in contact with the paint.
But after further inspection i found that the top does NOT touch the paint. So all of these marks had to be induced by peoples finger nails or jewelry. take a look at what i mean.

here is the corner where most people grab to lift up the top.

here is picture showing that the top doesn't touch the paint. and most of these scratches are outside the area

One of the main concerns for this corvette owner was that the top was scuffing up the paint around this area, so now we know that's not the case. after I polish out these scratches they are gone for good as long as he is careful when lifting up the top.

Here is after it was polished out.

Now for the Trunk

For cutting and polishing, i used the MF cutting disc and and M101 on the Dynabrade. and finished down with Optimum Finish polish on the LC Black pad.

Here is an area that someone had tried sanding on a scratch. to bad they failed to remove the sand scratches. lol

After the proper buff and polish.

So now for the Opti-coat, I finished down the paint with optimum Finish polish which is prefered by optimum when using opticoat.

and after that, Optimum recommends a good wash or using ONR (Optimum No Rinse) to clean the surface.

So here I am going over the entire car with ONR in quick detailer formula.

Now its time for the Magic sauce! I am such a hard core believer in this product. it is mind blowing on how it keeps your car cleaner long, and prevents bugs from sticking and bird poop from etching and looks like glass when full cured.

Applying it one panel at a time making sure there are no high spots when it cures.

After all said and done. I apply Zaino Z16 tire shine on the tires.

and for the wheels I applied Opti-seal to help protect the wheels and repel brake dust and keep the wheels cleaner longer.

I also treated the convertible top with 2 coats of RaggTop convertible top treatment letting each coat fully cure before applying the next.

After all said and done. It was Midnight when I finished the car. So unfortunately there are no Sun shots, but here are a few in the garage when I finished.

Thanks for viewing, have a blessed day!

-Eric Witt

Old 03-31-2012, 09:12 AM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks great !
Old 03-31-2012, 09:23 AM
duegatti
Instructor

Thanks. And let me transfer over a couple of outdoor pictures shortly afterward - though note that the car was driven and dusty in these pix.
Attached Images    

Last edited by duegatti; 03-31-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:36 AM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks beautiful, he did a really nice job!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Greg Nichols
Advanced

You had one of the best detailers in the country work on your ride......great choice!

Cheers,
GREG
Old 04-18-2012, 02:39 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That looks great. I don't think I've ever seen polished wheels with that kinda age look that good.

BTW, how much do you charge for something like that, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:44 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Nichols
You had one of the best detailers in the country work on your ride......great choice!

Cheers,
GREG
^ Absolute truth.

Car looks beautiful. Exactly what I expected from Eric's work.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:24 PM
duegatti
Instructor

Sorry, guys - I've been out of commission a bit the last 18 days due to a motorcycle accident. At least I managed to damage myself and not the freshly detailed Vette.

Eric (back on February 20) was charging $60/hr, and this type of correction typically runs 10-15 hr. Mine was on the low end of that scale. And the meter is not running constantly - you get a lot of free conversation and education while this is going on. He was charging a substantial premium for the Opti Guard (this is the "professional" version with the fast cure times), and I'll let him quote that here if he would like.

This has added considerably to my enjoyment of the car, and I think levels out the condition of the paint with the condition of the interior and the rest of the car.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 AM
leebay
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 383 Posts

Joe, I am sorry to hear about your accident, hope you have a speedy recovery so you can enjoy your Vette.

Lee
Old 05-02-2012, 04:50 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Very Nice Job
Old 05-03-2012, 03:34 AM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Beautiful

great color too.

Get notified of new replies

To Had Eric of Tru Shine Detailing come out and Detail Electron Blue C5

Quick Reply: Had Eric of Tru Shine Detailing come out and Detail Electron Blue C5