Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Leather seat care

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Vetteatlast
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Leather seat care

My leather seats are in good shape but what is good to use on them that will make them shiney but still protected?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:28 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I might suggest staying away from shiny which is often silicones. Use a good safe leather protectant like LeatherMasters and you have a nice matte surface and protection designed for the finished leather used in almost all automotive settings.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I am not normally a Zaino user, but ther Z9/Z10 is what I use for my leather seats. They work really well.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by JVM225
I am not normally a Zaino user, but ther Z9/Z10 is what I use for my leather seats. They work really well.

The problem is, my wife keeps using my 9/10 on the leather furniture, and then there's none left for me.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:55 AM
CyberGrayGS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leatherique.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Matt97GT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used leatherique on my m3 seats a few years ago. great product.

i plan on using it in my corvette.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:34 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberGrayGS
Leatherique.
Originally Posted by Matt97GT
i used leatherique on my m3 seats a few years ago. great product.

i plan on using it in my corvette.
another great option indeed
Old 08-28-2018, 09:39 AM
get smart
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default leather care

Originally Posted by Vetteatlast
My leather seats are in good shape but what is good to use on them that will make them shiney but still protected?
get smart
Great leather conditioner..Auto Brite out of ABQ , NM.
www.autobrite.com
Old 08-28-2018, 01:06 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Awesome thread bump. Hopefully, the OP conditioned his leather 6+ years ago.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:17 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Check out our new Leather Conditioner!

Old 08-28-2018, 05:45 PM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Received 754 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam's Polish
Check out our new Leather Conditioner!

https://youtu.be/u-DFxyk2ygU
Adam, Leather treatment is an area that really confuses me. I use many of your exterior products but currently I don't use any interior products other than soap and water. I have read that the current leather used in the Corvettes (mine is a 3LT with "Nappa Leather") has a vinyl type of coating on the surface so only a mild soap and water should be used per the user's manual. If this is the case, how does your product work with the coated leathers. Is it absorbed or does it stay on the surface. Is it safe to use on my Nappa Leather? Thanks for your help. By the way, I love all of your videos, they have given me the confidence to use your orbital polishers to make the car finish really shine with no swirls.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:20 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

I have a 2003 with 10,000 miles the leather looked terrible at 5,000 miles when I bought it, I tried Lexol, Zaino, Leatherique, when I called Lexol about what to use on my car they said they could not help me, So I decided to try the Leatherique I emailed & they said their product would work fine for my car, I even recently did another application & left the car out in the sun with plastic bags on the seats to help the product absorb into the leather with negative results. the picture below is Leatherique on the 1st time where I was testing it & let it sit for 24hrs & as you can see nothing was absorbed into the leather. Finished leather as stated above has a coating on it, that is what causes a lot of these products to just sit on the surface. So far nothing does it for me, I have some Lexol Vinylex I may try that next, I also will look into the Leather Masters, just being realistic.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:29 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve
So far nothing does it for me, I have some Lexol Vinylex I may try that next,
I promise you that products made for conditioning vinyl will do a better job.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:05 AM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
I promise you that products made for conditioning vinyl will do a better job.
I would have to agree with you, I will be looking to try products in that category.

I have a friend who has a 1976 he bought new, 38,000 miles, deluxe leather interior, & has been using Lexol for leather since new & his seats are outstanding.

I also did not realize this thread was from 2012
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 10:02 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I would have to agree with you, I will be looking to try products in that category.

I have a friend who has a 1976 he bought new, 38,000 miles, deluxe leather interior, & has been using Lexol for leather since new & his seats are outstanding.

I also did not realize this thread was from 2012
Its not real leather, keep it clean with water and Woolite 10-1 and that will remove the body oils and dirt....

Old 08-30-2018, 01:55 PM
Vetterator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default leather

Originally Posted by Dave1
Its not real leather, keep it clean with water and Woolite 10-1 and that will remove the body oils and dirt....
I just used leatherique and it did an outstanding job, as it always does.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:49 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have a 2003 with 10,000 miles the leather looked terrible at 5,000 miles when I bought it, I tried Lexol, Zaino, Leatherique, when I called Lexol about what to use on my car they said they could not help me, So I decided to try the Leatherique I emailed & they said their product would work fine for my car, I even recently did another application & left the car out in the sun with plastic bags on the seats to help the product absorb into the leather with negative results. the picture below is Leatherique on the 1st time where I was testing it & let it sit for 24hrs & as you can see nothing was absorbed into the leather. Finished leather as stated above has a coating on it, that is what causes a lot of these products to just sit on the surface. So far nothing does it for me, I have some Lexol Vinylex I may try that next, I also will look into the Leather Masters, just being realistic.

Leatherique isnt designed to soak in.....

It brings the oils and dirt to the surface to be cleaned off with the second step, Prestine Clean.....

Its a two step deal....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...psK8BDE6g-fKm8

It should plump up the surface and have a drier look, not shiny.....

Get notified of new replies

To Leather seat care

Old 09-01-2018, 11:06 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave1
Leatherique isnt designed to soak in.....

It brings the oils and dirt to the surface to be cleaned off with the second step, Prestine Clean.....

Its a two step deal....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...psK8BDE6g-fKm8

It should plump up the surface and have a drier look, not shiny.....
Leatherique is designed to soak in & as it does you add more until you have an even coverage, then you clean with the cleaner, I did exactly as designed, does nothing to make seat any plumper or softer, may just be the poor quality of GM leather.

Like a fine face cream, Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil seeps into the skin and hydrates!

See bold underlined in the instructions.

Leatherique How To Instructions

HOW TO REJUVENATE YOUR LEATHER INTERIOR AND ALL ITEMS CRAFTED OF FINE LEATHERRejuvenating your car interior or any item made with fine quality leather is an easy process. Please carefully read directions before beginning application. Use protective gloves and eyewear. Step 1.
Vacuum the surface of the upholstered piece or interior well or use a soft brush to remove large particles of dirt, paying particular attention to seams, folds, and cracks. Step 2.
Apply the Rejuvenator Oil liberally (about 4 oz. per seat) with a Sponge Brush or your hands; massaging the oil well into all the surfaces and natural folds of the leather, this puts natural ingredients, not harsh cleaner, back into the leather and forces out dirt. You may also use a soft sea sponge, or a soft paint type brush. One of our Rolls Royce friends, Chuck Hull of Simi Valley, California suggests a spray bottle, which can be purchased at the local home center. Also apply the Rejuvenator Oil liberally nearer the stitched areas as the conditioner will be able to migrate laterally well into the hide. Park the car in the sun with the windows rolled up to create a “steam room” for as long as practical, several hours or a day. (Allow the oil to be absorbed into the fibrous side of the leather before putting the top down in a convertible.) Direct sun is the worst enemy of any automobile interior or home upholstery. Do not place home or office leather upholstery in direct sun. For “cardboard hard” leather, several applications will be necessary. Patience will be rewarded with good results. Step 3.
After the ph correct proteins and collagens from the Rejuvenator Oil have permeated back into the pours and fibers of the leather, strengthening and nourishing them, the surface may be tacky, sticky, gritty, or have a white haze. This is simply the dirt, grime, air pollution, perspiration, salts and other toxins that have floated out of the leather to the surface. Apply Prestine Clean by putting it in a Spray Bottle then wipe off with a SOFT lint free cloth. For tough dirt or vinyl or vinyl tops, brush the cleaner into the grain of the leather or vinyl with a soft bath brush or toothbrush. Let stand for a few minutes, usually by the time you are done with the next piece, and wipe the surface with a soft cloth Your car or upholstered leather piece will appreciate the “face lift” and will have the new leather smell restored. Prestine Clean will not remove the conditioner permeated into the leather. This process may be used on MB Tex vinyl areas to soften and condition. Even flexibility on rubber window trim can be maintained with Prestine Clean. LEATHER FACTSWe strongly advise against saddle soap, as it has been known to remove the dye from the leather. Avoid products that contain petroleum or mineral oils, as they cause leather fibers to rot prematurely. Our cleaner and conditioner have a capillary action. The proteins, cleaners, and conditioners find their way deep into the pores of the leather and force out the dirt, perspiration, air pollution, unnecessary oils, and other toxins that destroy the fibers of the leather, destroying its strength and flexibility, and causing it to deteriorate. For tough, heavier stains, we do make leather cleaner to remove the stain from the surface of the leather. The remainder of the stain will need to be “floated” out of the leather with Rejuvenator Oil. Badly stained surfaces probably need to be re-dyed.

Key Benefits

• Leather is conditioned & cleaned safely, easily, and gently. No hard scrubbing or harsh chemicals.
  • Because there are no petroleum or mineral oil fillers of any type in the Rejuvenator Oil, any residual remains in the fibers, continuing to nourish the leather itself for months. Don't forget keeping leather healthy and flexible is what extends its life and makes it more beautiful.
  • This is absolutely "Simply the Best" way to care for your leather, used by museums, collectors, restorers, decorators, and auto enthusiasts World Wide.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:16 AM
get smart
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you very much for the information .I will keep this on file.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:40 PM
Z06-FIX
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HOW TO REJUVENATE YOUR LEATHER INTERIOR AND ALL ITEMS CRAFTED OF FINE LEATHER
not on our coated leather seat's
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (09-05-2018)

Quick Reply: Leather seat care