Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Detailed: My TR 2002 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 10:56 PM
B.Prug87
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Detailed: My TR 2002 Z06

I had an empty garage for a week so i figured it was a good time to polish the z06. My plan of attack was only a 1 step finishing polish to bring the shine back to the paint. My focus was not swirl removal but i ended up removing a good bit of the swirls. I wasnt expecting to do so, so i didnt take pictures of that process plus my batteries died shortly after i started paint correcting.lol
This is how the car started off after i pulled it out of my storage unit

First plan of attack was to clean the wheels. My go too wheel cleaner is Sonax. Smells HORRIBLE but gets the job done almost effortlessly

I let it dwell for almost a minute then all i did was rinse no agitation and it left the wheel about 95% clean. This stuff performs time and time again. This is just after rinsing

Then i addressed the barrel part of the wheels. I dont have the tools to remove the wheels so i had to use a daytona wheel brush.

Then i addressed the brake calipers with another favorite of mine. p21s Total auto wash(TAW). Smells VERY GOOD may i add.

Next i wanted to remove the old tire shine(303 trim protectant) from the tires so i used Megs All Purpose cleaner from there detailing line. Warning do not breath in while spraying...dont ask me why i know.lol

The next few pics are the finished product of other 3 wheels with the previous steps

Now on to addressing the paint. I started out with my glimour foam gun. My solution consisted of 5oz of poorboys soap and 3oz of Megs All Purpose cleaner to help strip whats left of the LSP.Then went with the 2 bucket system with grit gaurds with CG Citrus wash and clear with a strong mix again to strip any remans of LSP.

Then i rinsed the car off and brought out a new product i just recently purhcased called Tar X. It worked very well and removed all the tax spots in just 1 application.

I then dried the car off and pulled it in the garage as the sky got very dark. I hate clay baring a car but i felt it was necessary since i havent done it since last year. My go to clay is Megs mild grade clay and i used Optimum no rinse as my clay lube. To my surpise i had little to no contaminants at all on the paint. I was very shocked.

Then i went on to use meguairs 205 with my flex Dual action supporting a lake country white pad to attact the paint. My first pass i used a tiny bit to much product but had very little dusting through out the process even with the high humidity. I have used m205 a few times and im learning the right amount of product to use and its getting easier to apply/correct/remove the more i use it.

My battery on my DSLR died right after my first few passes so i put the battery on charge and it wasnt ready untill i put the LSP on. I wasnt really looking for much correction. The vehicle does have light-moderate swirling but i was more concerned of finishing the paint and making it more bright which is what i achieved.

Now onto the best part and the whole reason why i was cleaning the paint to begin with was to apply my newly aquired Raceglaze 55. This stuff is very soft and all i had to do was dab the applicator pad once-twice and it coated it very quickly and easily. It went on very smooth and i was able to level it out on a panel very quickly. It also smells very good as well. The directions say wait an hour before a 2nd coat is applied. I waited a day and this is the end results.

The following users liked this post:
dcarr (08-14-2020)
Old 08-13-2012, 12:58 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Job well done. Your cars reminds me of a C5 Z my dad had.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 AM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

nice job

looks good
Old 08-13-2012, 09:38 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Good work, looks super.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Frank4202
Melting Slicks

Received 401 Likes on 224 Posts

Looks awesome. Torch red really pops when its clean
Old 08-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Pro-Techt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! Love the color. What wash mitt is that you're using?

Not trying to tell you what you did was wrong by any means and I hope you don't take offense, but you should consider trying 1 product that can clean your wheels, tires and calipers all in one. It will save time and probably some $$ too.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

nice detailing sessions and the results are notable. I recently started using Tar-X also and really like the product. I often wondered about the RaceGlaze waxes and glad to hear they work as advertised. Nice work !!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:26 PM
B.Prug87
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pro-Techt
Very nice! Love the color. What wash mitt is that you're using?

Not trying to tell you what you did was wrong by any means and I hope you don't take offense, but you should consider trying 1 product that can clean your wheels, tires and calipers all in one. It will save time and probably some $$ too.
Wash Mitt would be from Raceglaze. As far as a all in one wheel,tire, caliper cleaner. I have yet to find a wheel cleaner that works as well as Sonax (besides Meguiars Wheel Bright). It does not lift dirt/tire shine off the tire very well. I dont want to use all purpose cleaner on the wheels and calipers because its a little harsh. So to answer your question to get the results that i want i use more then one product. That process i dont use every time i wash my car. My wheels typically just get washed with soap and water but when i apply wheel wax i will do a more thorough cleaning.

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
nice detailing sessions and the results are notable. I recently started using Tar-X also and really like the product. I often wondered about the RaceGlaze waxes and glad to hear they work as advertised. Nice work !!
I have read in the past that Raceglaze 55 is the same thing or very similar to Vics Red. Only thing when i did a little research i found that Vics red only lasts the typical 2-3 months where i read in more then once case Raceglaze 55 lasting up to 6 months. But lets face it the 95% of the final finish is prep. The ever so popular topic "this wax looks better then another" has been disputed many times before. Do i see a difference yes but is it party that i want to believe there is?Who knows? longevity is what made me lean toward Raceglaze 55 and its ease of use.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 PM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

thanks i learned a lot from this thread
Old 08-15-2012, 01:57 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Very nicely documented detail - the paint looks great!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Pro-Techt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Prug87
Wash Mitt would be from Raceglaze. As far as a all in one wheel,tire, caliper cleaner. I have yet to find a wheel cleaner that works as well as Sonax (besides Meguiars Wheel Bright). It does not lift dirt/tire shine off the tire very well. I dont want to use all purpose cleaner on the wheels and calipers because its a little harsh. So to answer your question to get the results that i want i use more then one product. That process i dont use every time i wash my car. My wheels typically just get washed with soap and water but when i apply wheel wax i will do a more thorough cleaning.
What ever works for you is all good. Nothing like giving it a good deep cleaning right before sealing. Meg's WB is certainly strong! Especially for regular use seeing that's it's an acid. I'll try picking up one of those wash mitts too. Tks
Old 08-18-2012, 02:58 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

reminds me of my old torch red
Old 09-15-2012, 06:17 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That looks mint!! I like 205 as well! Very nice "mild" cleaner. I'm in need of a good take down on my '04 twin to yours. Hasn't been buffed or anything since July 2011. Zaino is still holding up

Beautiful job on your car!!
Old 08-13-2020, 12:43 AM
spoolin03
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice choice in color. If you plan to take it further, just throw on some gloss black mesh stingray wheels (don't know what they're called but they look like the z06 ones).
Old 08-13-2020, 01:01 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I am sure if he wanted to install played-out black replica wheels, he would have done it when he made this thread 8 years ago.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:33 AM
spoolin03
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
I am sure if he wanted to install played-out black replica wheels, he would have done it when he made this thread 8 years ago.
Woopz I meant to reply to another thread but I guess these connect at the bottom lol. Wow I recognize your username from Supraforums. Flashback from 15 years ago.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:09 AM
Gixxerman

Received 3,747 Likes on 2,126 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Old 08-13-2020, 03:28 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolin03
Woopz I meant to reply to another thread but I guess these connect at the bottom lol.
It happens! LOL

Wow I recognize your username from Supraforums. Flashback from 15 years ago.
Man, I wish we were 15 years younger, too. Hahaha!
The following users liked this post:
BudgetPlan1 (08-13-2020)
Old 03-24-2021, 06:19 AM
simrokkzz
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well done!
I like what you did.

some days I would like to have my racing yellow car the same color in matte, gotta see if I ever try it myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Detailed: My TR 2002 Z06

Quick Reply: Detailed: My TR 2002 Z06