Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Have to clean this mess, what to use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 05:18 AM
important
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Have to clean this mess, what to use?

Have been getting a few different recommendations on how to clean my oil pan in this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...y-oil-pan.html

Ive heard that using brake dust cleaner can be too harsh and have unintended consequences on other parts?

I dont feel real comfortable using Simple Green.

"GUMOUT ENGINE BRITE" was another recommendation.

What about the mineral spirits stuff?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:14 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apply a de-greaser or an all purpose cleaner (P21S®® Total Auto Wash or Optimum Power Clean ™) or a solvent free, water based cleaner (Wurth Engine Cleaner and Degreaser) most of these parts don't really need the use of harsh degreasers. This product is safe for painted surfaces, gel coat, aluminium, carbon fibre and other composite materials) by lightly spraying the lower parts first and then working upwards.

Enable the cleaner to work by allowing remain in place time (but do not allow to completely dry) or to remain on painted surfaces, and be sure to dilute with water before drying with a cloth.

For heavily soiled areas agitate with a nylon engine cleaning brush and a undiluted cleaner or degreaser (Wurth Engine Cleaner and Degreaser or Optimum Power Clean ™)

When the grease and grime is dissolved and you're ready to remove it, spray with a light (garden type) fan-spray pattern pressure water and a hose and then agitate with a Mini E-Z Detail Brush.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:27 PM
important
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Apply a de-greaser or an all purpose cleaner (P21S®® Total Auto Wash or Optimum Power Clean ™) or a solvent free, water based cleaner (Wurth Engine Cleaner and Degreaser) most of these parts don't really need the use of harsh degreasers. This product is safe for painted surfaces, gel coat, aluminium, carbon fibre and other composite materials) by lightly spraying the lower parts first and then working upwards.

Enable the cleaner to work by allowing remain in place time (but do not allow to completely dry) or to remain on painted surfaces, and be sure to dilute with water before drying with a cloth.

For heavily soiled areas agitate with a nylon engine cleaning brush and a undiluted cleaner or degreaser (Wurth Engine Cleaner and Degreaser or Optimum Power Clean ™)

When the grease and grime is dissolved and you're ready to remove it, spray with a light (garden type) fan-spray pattern pressure water and a hose and then agitate with a Mini E-Z Detail Brush.
I actually have P21S. I used it to clean my engine once but didnt have a good experience. It dripped down the side and left streaks on the paint. Fortunately it wasnt permanent.

One of the biggest challenges is getting under the car.

I wish I had a hazmat suit so I could lay under it and not care if everything dripped onto me.

Last edited by important; 09-06-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can use many different cleaners but try and use the mildest to start and move forward. Water based cleaneres are ususally milder and clean up easier. You can buy dispoable coveralls which are fairly cheap. The other thing I do is spray the cleaner on a rad or brush. Not as efffective but less mess. My $0.02
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by important
I actually have P21S. I used it to clean my engine once but didnt have a good experience. It dripped down the side and left streaks on the paint. Fortunately it wasnt permanent.

One of the biggest challenges is getting under the car.

I wish I had a hazmat suit so I could lay under it and not care if everything dripped onto me.
P21S Total Wash is paint safe and often used and suggested of dirty paint as a precleaner. It should rinse off clean on all areas.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

This may sound dumb but why not try some Dawn first and see how it handles? It won't hurt anything if it hits the paint or other parts. You should be able to pick up a tyvek suit at the hardware store to keep you clean.

Get notified of new replies

To Have to clean this mess, what to use?

Quick Reply: Have to clean this mess, what to use?