Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Help!!! Found Mice Droppings On My Motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:33 PM
markwerner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Found Mice Droppings On My Motor

I just went out to detail my vette today and found mouse droppings on the intake.

Anyone know the best way to get it clean.

Any tips would be great.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:27 PM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Mice are a bad thing in deed.

Should probably set up some traps / decon etc to make sure they are not still around

They can should on seats, stuff inside your glovebox, wiring. around your air cleaner ... all sorts of stuff

I'd wear rubber gloves - mouse droppings can make you sick
Old 09-08-2012, 10:04 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I too would be quite careful and use a mask and gloves while cleaning up the area. Make sure all traces and rodents are gone first , and perhaps set some traps around the area in which the car is parked.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:51 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Proper precautions need to be taken when cleaning up rodent infestation. There are many aspects to be considered in the cleanup process. The control of infectious diseases for the health and safety of both worker and occupants of vehicle, remediation of odor, cleaning, sanitizing replacing components affected by the rodent to include ventilation system, cabin air filters and indoor air quality of the passenger compartment.

Rodents are carriers of more than sixty infectious diseases like hanta virus and persons cleaning should wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) gloves, masks, goggles and coveralls, and not stir up droppings or materials contaminated. Spray down with disinfectants and HEPA vacuum any droppings or materials contaminated.

• Rodents have been known to squeeze into many small places where they leave droppings, urine or nest and sometimes die. The areas they are known to squeeze into and build nests include engine heat shield, “A” and “B” pillars, heater box opening, down into glove box, under dashboard and center console shifter. The odor is more likely caused from urine or decaying matter if the rodent died.
• Since you should be concerned about the indoor air quality and the possible spread of infectious disease into the passenger compartment through the ventilation system your cleaning protocol should include more than an ozone machine.
• Remove plenum cowling from around windshield clean and disinfect entire area and parts pieces.
• Remove any cabin air filter in this area disinfect and replace cabin air filter with new
• Remove any cabin air filter in the interior of the vehicle and disinfect the area and replace with new air filters. Air filters are sometimes found on the dashboard or glove box area.
• Fog ventilation with disinfectants
• Clean engine.
• Check behind heat shield for nests or decomposing matter
• Check the interior compartment, under seats to include trunk for any sign of droppings, or nests.
• Clean and sanitize interior passenger compartment as bacteria could have been spread by air coming in through the ventilation system
• Checking electrical wiring for any damage
• Treat for odor with appropriate chemicals.

Based on an article by Automania
Old 09-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Hopefully on the intake is the only place they have been. Once they "find" the car it all goes down hill depending on how many mice you are dealing with. Over time they will own the car and make a home inside the dash or seats and feast on electrical wires etc. I would consider moving the car to another location if possible for awhile but treat the area non the less. I have a dog so I am some afraid of poison but it is a good weapon if you can use it along with traps and glue paper. I put peanut butter on the trap and it works great. They can't ****** it off like they can cheese. I got some glue paper traps from Orkin and they work good. Place them where you think they will be and when they get on it they stick to it and can't get off. With cold weather coming on mice will try to get inside where it is warmer. You are right to get on top of this. I had $300 damage to wires on my C5 from mice chewing and a good friend who stored his beautiful 73 over the winter had to redo the total interior from mice damage. It may be worth talking to a professional in your area. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Help!!! Found Mice Droppings On My Motor

Quick Reply: Help!!! Found Mice Droppings On My Motor