Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Brinkmann Maxfire Dual Xenon Spotlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 10:54 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Brinkmann Maxfire Dual Xenon Spotlight

For around $30-$35 is the juice worth the squeeze? In direct sunlight, it's easy to see swirl marks on my LMB paint. However, I wouldn't do paint correction out in the sun if it can be avoided. I was thinking about this last week when I attempted my first paint correction. I will be going round two either this weekend or the following week, taking more time and using a more abrasive compound and pad. What I was thinking about was using some type of lighting that will help me see the imperfections as I am working on them.

This light seems like it'll do the trick but I wanted to see what other tips/products people are using. I do have two sets of overhanging light fixtures in my garage, however, I'm not sure if I change out the bulbs to florescent (if that's the correct type) if they'll produce enough light during the day with the garage doors open.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:00 AM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Well, as I'm reading more reviews about this light it appears its notorious for not holding a charge for very long. And, it seems that if you don't use it for months at a time, the battery completely drains and won't recharge.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Would using an LED setup work better?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 AM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ralphsmithiii
I wouldn't do paint correction out in the sun if it can be avoided.
There is no better source then natural sun. Keep in mind that 3D's polishing compounds can be used in full sun and will produce little to no dust. Just throwing it out there...

3D also offers a AA powered dual light Brinkman that can hold a charge up to a 85 minute with continuous run time.
http://www.3dproducts.com/Brinkman-Sunlight.html

Old 09-18-2012, 12:11 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

Interesting. I didn't realize you could polish in the sun. I always assumed the compounds would cake up or dry on the paint pretty quickly.

Its my understanding that the current paint correction polishes I have now can also be used in the sun, too.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:19 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I had no luck with the Brinkman model. I couldn't get the charge to last no matter how long it was pluged in. I went with a 3W LED from Griot's Garage (#47990). It has worked great with no problems.

Last edited by spdkilz911; 09-18-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:26 PM
tdekany
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firebug10
I had no luck with the Brinkman model. I couldn't get the charge to last no matter how long it was pluged in. I went with a 3W LED from Griot's Garage (#47990). It has worked great with no problems.
The unit above runs on batteries.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:28 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Interesting. I didn't realize you could polish in the sun. I always assumed the compounds would cake up or dry on the paint pretty quickly.

Its my understanding that the current paint correction polishes I have now can also be used in the sun, too.

Having worked for years detailing in the hot S. Florida sun, I have a good understanding of what works and what doesn't. Please let me know what products you are using?
One of the key elements behind 3D/HD's proprietary formulas that allow them to be used in direct sun is their use of special amino-functional-silicone-fluid. This is found in all their polishing compounds and paint sealers. Another benefit behind this technology and its symmetry is that there will never be any bonding issues between the line. So many times you hear detailers suggesting to strip the finish prior to sealing. Not with this line.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:39 PM
ralphsmithiii
Racer

I am using the Adam's line of swirl removal polishes and machine sealant, all which they stated can be used in the sun. My experience with the sun is based on doing hand waxes with carnuba based waxes many years ago and having it back into the paint. This time around, is my first attempt to do paint correction with a DA and I did get some dusting. However, after watching some other video's and browsing various forums, I believe I simply used too much compound after priming the pads and was not related to the sun or heat.

Last edited by ralphsmithiii; 09-18-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

You can certainly purchase a Sun Gun at several hundred dollars, but for a reasonable price you can purchase 1 of 2 Brinkmann offerings. I have one thats on the charger when not in use and it gives enough time to polish a car provided you dont leave it on the entire time. I find the original a big brighter, but the newer swivel head model able to hit panels off angle which helps to track swirls and their removals.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 AM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

I am using the Adam's line of swirl removal polishes and machine sealant, all which they stated can be used in the sun. My experience with the sun is based on doing hand waxes with carnuba based waxes many years ago and having it back into the paint. This time around, is my first attempt to do paint correction with a DA and I did get some dusting. However, after watching some other video's and browsing various forums, I believe I simply used too much compound after priming the pads and was not related to the sun or heat.
Yes, finding the right combo is certainly a skill in and of itself. Something that works on a certain car one day, might not play nice the next day on another car. Plus, making sure you don't overload the pad with product AND work time is another consideration too.

Think about what you're doing.......you're spreading an oil mixed with abrasives over your paint, who's temperature can vary based on outside temp and color. What is critical is that you pay close attention to how your combo is working, how it is removing from the surface, if it's dusting, if it's clumping or if it's not producing good/even coverage on the surface area. This is when you adjust the amount used, speed and surface area to find a happy medium if possible.

Many companies don't use sun friendly components in their products thus performance can be greatly affected by it. 3D OTOH, being in California & Florida tends to cater their products to mobile detailers in hotter climates where they know a product is required to be used in these delicate working environments. Other companies like 3M, Menzerna and Meg's tend to focus many of their offerings to "shop" environments where temps are much more consistence.

Get notified of new replies

To Brinkmann Maxfire Dual Xenon Spotlight

Quick Reply: Brinkmann Maxfire Dual Xenon Spotlight