Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What wash/wax/seal product from local auto parts store?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Default What wash/wax/seal product from local auto parts store?

Well, I ran out of Zaino, and I need to help pretty up a friend's car this weekend. I haven't bought anything at a store in ages. Any suggestion? Something by Meguiar? Turtle Wax? I'm specifically looking for a wash, and then wax, products. These things need to be available at places like AutoZone, PepBoys,...

Thanks,
Old 09-20-2012, 07:14 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

For store bought I would go with Meguires or Mothers.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:24 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by firebug10
Old 09-20-2012, 07:27 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Thanks!!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Z0SX
Well, I ran out of Zaino, and I need to help pretty up a friend's car this weekend. I haven't bought anything at a store in ages. Any suggestion? Something by Meguiar? Turtle Wax? I'm specifically looking for a wash, and then wax, products. These things need to be available at places like AutoZone, PepBoys,...

Thanks,
Duragloss can be found at some retailers and a very nice option
Old 09-20-2012, 07:57 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Anything will put a temporary barrier on your surface, make it shine and bead water. Stay away from cleaner waxes or all in ones.

Are you using a machine to apply the product? If so, go with a liquid sealant from Meg's or Mothers.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:03 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by firebug10
Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by David-Fermani
Anything will put a temporary barrier on your surface, make it shine and bead water. Stay away from cleaner waxes or all in ones.

Are you using a machine to apply the product? If so, go with a liquid sealant from Meg's or Mothers.
No machine (power buffer,...), just good old fashioned muscles in my hands.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:59 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay away from cleaner waxes or all in ones.
bad advice IMO, I have used both Zaino AllInOne and Meguiar's cleaner wax, they both work great. I also ran out of Zaino, Vette is 6 years old, I'm using Meguiar's now. Zaino is a great product, but Meguiar's is acceptable too and it is available anywhere at half the cost or less.

I plan on using NXT next spring, I only used the Meguiar's one step because it was late in the year and I didn't want to put a lot of effort into it, but it looks great.

Mothers California Gold claybar has to be the best deal easily if you need claybar.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:28 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by cadguymark
bad advice IMO, I have used both Zaino AllInOne and Meguiar's cleaner wax, they both work great. I also ran out of Zaino, Vette is 6 years old, I'm using Meguiar's now. Zaino is a great product, but Meguiar's is acceptable too and it is available anywhere at half the cost or less.

I plan on using NXT next spring, I only used the Meguiar's one step because it was late in the year and I didn't want to put a lot of effort into it, but it looks great.

My rationale for avoiding AIOs is that most (especially ones found at most auto parts stores) use abrasives to clean your finish and can scour it if not used properly. Especially when using them by hand as this can create an uneven effect. (your hand cannot match the power or uniform nature of a machine) I feel much more comfortable advising people to use a product such as this by machine, rather by hand because the results can be far greater and safer. And if a machine is being used, why not just step up to a dedicated polishing compound that will yeild much better results?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:26 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My rationale for avoiding AIOs is that most (especially ones found at most auto parts stores) use abrasives to clean your finish and can scour it if not used properly. Especially when using them by hand as this can create an uneven effect. (your hand cannot match the power or uniform nature of a machine) I feel much more comfortable advising people to use a product such as this by machine, rather by hand because the results can be far greater and safer. And if a machine is being used, why not just step up to a dedicated polishing compound that will yeild much better results?
perhaps you missed this:
"I'm specifically looking for a wash, and then wax, products"

I have a PC, and have used it with polishing compound (Menzerna SIP & Nano) when needed and have used it with the all in ones mentioned as well when there is no correction needed. You have to match the problem with the solution. When doing a "quick" job, or correction is not needed the all in ones fit the bill. If you have the time and the finish needs to have the imperfections taken out, then yeah, polishing compound is the way to go.

Using a PC with a polishing compound is much more likely to cause damage than an all in one, that Zaino stuff is near idiot proof, and I'd say pretty much the same for Meguiar's.

Last edited by cadguymark; 09-21-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Klasse AIO is a chemical cleaner and when the sealant is added twice last a long time.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

wax sux, just polish and seal

Get notified of new replies

To What wash/wax/seal product from local auto parts store?

Quick Reply: What wash/wax/seal product from local auto parts store?