Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What did I do wrong? Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish

Old 09-21-2012, 07:16 AM
cpmatthew
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did I do wrong? Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish

Hey Folks,

So last night I decided to try my hand at using Blackfire's Gloss Enhancing Polish on my '12 Corvette. I washed and clayed it, then used the orange side of the German Polish Applicator to work the polish in. I wiped it clear with a dry MF towel and then waxed with Blackfire's Midnight Sun Wax. It looked really good when I got done, but this morning when I got to work, there is polish residue all over the car. So 2 questions.

1. What did I do wrong?

2. What do I do now?

I am heading out of town this weekend, so taking it to a pro will have to wait, but I would rather fix this myself so I can learn what I did wrong.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I posted over at autogeek as well.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:54 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by cpmatthew
1. What did I do wrong?
It sounds like you applied too much product and didn't remove all the product from the finish thus leaving reminants behind. What kind of lighting/environment were you working in?

2. What do I do now?
If the car has been driven and/or is parked outside, you need to give it a bath or else any wiping could cause unnecessary marring. Washing might even aid in softening up the reminants as well as flushing away some of the heavy build up. After washing/drying, try wiping away all the build up with a dry MF towel. You really shouldn't need anything stronger, but if you do, then use either APC, alcohol even more GEP depending on the surface this build up is on. Remember to follow up by reapplying more BFMS to the area that has been chemically stripped.

BFGEP is a great glaze btw and you can't go wrong with following up with either BFWD or BFMS. Remember, apply extremely thin coats of both, but with BFMS you'll want to apply this product to each panel at a time and then immediately remove rather then apply to the entire car and then remove like BFWD.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:56 PM
tdekany
Racer

Are you sure it is polish residue and not wax? And where?
Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 PM
cpmatthew
Racer

Originally Posted by tdekany
Are you sure it is polish residue and not wax? And where?
I should have taken a picture but I was on my way into work. The residue was on the hood and front bumper. I assumed it was polish as the shape was in the circular pattern I was using to apply polish.

As for lighting. I was working in a garage with a fluorescent light on the roof slightly in front of the car and the garage opener light directly above. Not the best lighting, but it is what I had.

Upon further inspection, I think I didn't buff it well enough. When I got back to my car after the sun was up for while it looked fine, so I think it was moisture being caught in surface imperfections.

Thanks for the tips on cleaning it up. I know what I am doing this weekend now.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:41 PM
tdekany
Racer

I should have taken a picture but I was on my way into work. The residue was on the hood and front bumper. I assumed it was polish as the shape was in the circular pattern I was using to apply polish.

As for lighting. I was working in a garage with a fluorescent light on the roof slightly in front of the car and the garage opener light directly above. Not the best lighting, but it is what I had.

Upon further inspection, I think I didn't buff it well enough. When I got back to my car after the sun was up for while it looked fine, so I think it was moisture being caught in surface imperfections.

Thanks for the tips on cleaning it up. I know what I am doing this weekend now.
Glad it worked out.

Get notified of new replies

To What did I do wrong? Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did I do wrong? Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish