Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Spowell637
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Black wheels

I love my Centennial 2012 but keep the wheels clean is a little aggravating

Cleaned wheels thoroughly yesterday and used Armor All protectant, 38 miles later the brake dust was pretty bad.

Anyone using a method to clean and preserve black wheels, short of pad replacement?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:01 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

ceramic pads will be suggested most often ...

As far as cleaning wheels, you need to use the proper cleaning supplies and do them more often if you choose to not change the pads. You can use products like Rejex to protect them and cut down on the cleanups a bit, but there is no miracle product that alleviates the brake dust your noting.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Zaino clear seal works well.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Dump the pads your using and go ceramic. I'm running a bbk with gloss black wheels and have zero issues with brake dust - and the brakes are put through the paces.

My wheel mfg'r said only light soap and water for cleaning, any other products would void the warranty - and it seems to work real well.

http://
Old 10-01-2012, 09:33 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly'n Family
Dump the pads your using and go ceramic. I'm running a bbk with gloss black wheels and have zero issues with brake dust - and the brakes are put through the paces.

My wheel mfg'r said only light soap and water for cleaning, any other products would void the warranty - and it seems to work real well.

http://
some car wash soaps don't seem to have enough power to clean all the contaminents wheels see. Check with your manufacturer, and see if a product like P21S is ok. You will find most aftermarket wheel companies offer it and its safe for all wheel types as it uses no acid.

Often I find you need to use it only occassionally and most the time using a wheel sealant (Optimums Opti-seal, Blackfire Crystal Seal) will help protect and then using car wash for several washes. Always remember to clean the barrels too !
Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Spowell637
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Brake pads

Did you replace all four?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Spowell637
Did you replace all four?
Not sure if that was addressed to me, but if so - yes, I'm running all four corners with Hawk ceramics and have literally zero brake dust issues.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Spowell637
I love my Centennial 2012 but keep the wheels clean is a little aggravating

Cleaned wheels thoroughly yesterday and used Armor All protectant, 38 miles later the brake dust was pretty bad.

Anyone using a method to clean and preserve black wheels, short of pad replacement?

Thanks in advance.
I suggest keeping a nice layer of quality paint sealant on them. This will not only aide in reducing the amount of time needed to clean them, but will also keep them looking great.

Also, if you're maintaining them on a regular basis, the only thing you'll need to clean them with is just normal car soap and water. When you use harm chemicals, it will eat any protection you apply.

Get notified of new replies

To Black wheels

Quick Reply: Black wheels