Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Oxidation on my Hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:25 AM
fred6123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxidation on my Hood

So for the last 5 months I have been parking my car outside. A week ago I notice some oxidation on my hood. I tried SIP with an orange pad but it didnt do anything. Any suggestions? I am really shocked that the paint is starting to go, it's only a 99 black C5 and I always kept a good base of finish in it. What else could be causing this......Professional Detail in order here?
Thanks!!!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:27 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Is the paint getting chalky and degrading ??? Could there be something on top of the paint, like perhaps overspray ??

Claying can help with minor overspray and prep surface for polishing. Polishes abrade the surface and should be able to help remove any bring back the paint if its degrading. You can also consider a paint cleansing lotion which can chemically remove some oxidation. Even some AIO type waxes can help remove light oxidation and place some protection on the paint.

Perhaps you can offer some pictures ?? Were you protecting the paint and often with it being outside ??
Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

This isn't overspray, so claying isn't going to help. If SIP didn't touch it then I doubt an AIO will either...

Sounds to me that there is something happening to the clear. Like premature clear coat failure. Detailing isn't going to help when the resin system has been compromised.

Pics can be incredibly helpful rather then guessing at what this could be.

Has the vehicle (especially the hood) ever been painted? Are you the original owner?

Has the vehicle ever been polished? If so, how many times and what was used?

Is this problem only dedicated to the hood? What exactly happened after you used SIP? Did it look a little better?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:06 PM
fred6123
Instructor

Originally Posted by David-Fermani
This isn't overspray, so claying isn't going to help. If SIP didn't touch it then I doubt an AIO will either...

Sounds to me that there is something happening to the clear. Like premature clear coat failure. Detailing isn't going to help when the resin system has been compromised.

Has the vehicle (especially the hood) ever been painted? Are you the original owner?

Is this problem only dedicated to the hood? What exactly happened after you used SIP? Did it look a little better?
I will try to get some pics up. As far as I know the hood was never painted, but I am not the original owner. I have poished it a few times last year, always used SIP and finished it with Wolfgangs sealer. Have not done it in about 6 months though. Also it seems to be spreading, just on 1 side of the hood. Small patches showing up in different areas.

SIP made no difference, still looks like oxidation.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:10 PM
fred6123
Instructor

Not the greatest pic,but if you look towards the top and in towards the bottom center you can see the whitness. It looks like it could come off but when I used the SIP nothing. I will try for a clearer pic....
Thanks for all you help.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:53 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ultra violet (UV) radiation is known to contribute to the chemical modification (oxidation) or drying out the polymers and the resin binder system of exposed paint surfaces resulting in loss of gloss. However (clear coat failure) results in colour change, chalking, flaking and eventually destruction of the paint film

Oxidation of a clear-coat has the appearance of dull paint that has little if any gloss and may exhibit a slightly ‘grey’ colour but can usually be rectified without the need to re-paint. (See also clear coat failure)

This can be brought about by abrasive washing which simply dulls the paint; touch less carwash washing, which uses an acid that dulls the clear-coat and / or simply from exposure to industrial fallout and ultra violet radiation, etc.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by fred6123

Not the greatest pic,but if you look towards the top and in towards the bottom center you can see the whitness. It looks like it could come off but when I used the SIP nothing. I will try for a clearer pic....
Thanks for all you help.
Bottom line.....This is clear coat failure and you are not going to stop it. The entire panel needs to be stripped and completely refinished. This is NOT a covered loss under your auto insurance coverage either. Sorry, just being brutally honest. Also, this is something that isn't very typical of C5's either. Chances are that this panel could have been refinished.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 PM
fred6123
Instructor

Bottom line.....This is clear coat failure and you are not going to stop it. The entire panel needs to be stripped and completely refinished. This is NOT a covered loss under your auto insurance coverage either. Sorry, just being brutally honest. Also, this is something that isn't very typical of C5's either. Chances are that this panel could have been refinished.
Kinda what I figured. Weird though it is only on 1/2 of the hood, no where else. Not on the Top, fenders or the other side of the hood. Causes? Maybe some sort of acidic substance got on that part of the hood? Just started about a few weeks ago but now spreading fast. And if I just have the hood repainted it won't match the front, which has a lot of rock chips anyway, but it also won't match the fenders, so am I looking at a total re-paint here???????
Old 09-26-2012, 12:57 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

The hood is the largest panel....more exposure to UV and heat from the engine.

Blending of color usually isn't needed on black, but I strongly suggest contacting and working with a quality detailer AND body shop to have your paint corrected to match the gloss of the freshly painted panel. After it's painted of course.

This is also a great time to have the body shop take care of the bumper as well. The hood and bumper stick out like a sore thumb and can make or break the appearance of your car.

I can definately assist you with finding a competant detailer in your area when you're ready.

Get notified of new replies

To Oxidation on my Hood

Quick Reply: Oxidation on my Hood