Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

FK425 user looking for a new spray wax or QD

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FK425 user looking for a new spray wax or QD

I am very happy with most of my routine but am looking for a final step spray wax or quick detailer to boost that dripping wet look.

My routine is basic, my car is only driven 2-6k a year and garaged otherwise. I have limited time for detailing so my system works great for me; Once a year I have the car professionally clayed and polished, and topped with Collonite 845. Throughout driving season as the car gets dirty, I hand wash, dry and top with Finish Kare 425.

Being I live on a dirt road I have been very happy with the 425. But there are times, say when I am going to a show or cars and coffee, when I really want to punch up that wet shinny look. I am wondering if there is something out there I can use instead of the 425 to get a deeper gloss. I was thinking Souveran spray wax or Optimum spray???

Let me know what you think. Thanks
Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I see your a silver owner as well.

I have chased many products and have more or less settled on the 425.

I apply it over the Klasse twins, and usually before every drive.

Lets be realistic here our MS color will not look like some other darker colors do with regards to depth of wetness.

On the bright side MS shows the cars lines the best and is a very easy color to keep up, and in my book a classic sports car is sliver.

The Klasse AIO is a chemical type contaminate remover and topped with the sister sealant has great durability.

Easily last a year with my added frequent detail on a garaged 5,000 mile a year car, not a DD.

Good luck with your hunt
Old 10-24-2012, 05:04 PM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

To off-set the cost, I would buy two bottles of Zaino's Z-6 detail spray. What I have done, I bought two 16oz spray bottles from Wal-Mart. I have taken my Z-6 and cut it with water. I poured 8oz of the Z-6 in separate spray bottle. You should have about 8oz left in the original Z-6 bottle and 8oz in the spray bottle. I then, take a measuring cup and fill that up with about 5oz of water and pour it into one of the bottles with the 8oz of Z-6, shake it up to mix and set it aside. Repeat until the other bottle has been filled. Believe me; it makes these two bottles, now 4 bottles of Z-6 last a long time. Trust me, I never ever had a problem with the shine using the Z-6 with this method and have save a lot of money.

Also, buy a small 2oz spray bottle. Two is better, having one for a backup. These 2oz bottles can be bought at Wal Mart. Typically; you can find them in the health care section, in the travel size products area in most stores. Fill one of the 2oz bottles with Z-6. Use this small bottle when you applying Z-6 to your vehicle. It makes handling the bottle so much easier and you do not have to struggle with trying to hold the big bottle. You will use this product lightly, spraying more so a mist over a 2ft x 2ft section. Wipe off using a dedicated microfiber towel or 100% cotton towel, microfiber towel works best. By the time you are finished with your vehicle, you should have used only about 1oz more or less.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:26 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Shifter6
I am very happy with most of my routine but am looking for a final step spray wax or quick detailer to boost that dripping wet look.

My routine is basic, my car is only driven 2-6k a year and garaged otherwise. I have limited time for detailing so my system works great for me; Once a year I have the car professionally clayed and polished, and topped with Collonite 845. Throughout driving season as the car gets dirty, I hand wash, dry and top with Finish Kare 425.

Being I live on a dirt road I have been very happy with the 425. But there are times, say when I am going to a show or cars and coffee, when I really want to punch up that wet shinny look. I am wondering if there is something out there I can use instead of the 425 to get a deeper gloss. I was thinking Souveran spray wax or Optimum spray???

Let me know what you think. Thanks
The two options you've noted are perfect and exactly what I would have suggested. Four Star makes one also called Spray Wax Plus. All these work well with no buffing, and add noticable difference in looks. The Optimum is most durable and really looks well with Metallics. They also offer a quick detail spray with gloss booster that can hang with the best.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
The two options you've noted are perfect and exactly what I would have suggested. Four Star makes one also called Spray Wax Plus. All these work well with no buffing, and add noticable difference in looks. The Optimum is most durable and really looks well with Metallics. They also offer a quick detail spray with gloss booster that can hang with the best.
I am glad I am on the right track! I am not as familiar with the Optimum, is it a QD or a true spray wax? I have heard good things about the Souveran but that it is a true wax and offers no cleaning ability. Bottom line, which one would you recommend for someone in my situation?

Also, do you have any sales going on?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:17 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Shifter6
I am glad I am on the right track! I am not as familiar with the Optimum, is it a QD or a true spray wax? I have heard good things about the Souveran but that it is a true wax and offers no cleaning ability. Bottom line, which one would you recommend for someone in my situation?

Also, do you have any sales going on?
keep an eye on the banners on site for sales, they come quicker than I am even priveledged to note.

Optimum is a superb line and offers some real hits at great prices. They offer both a spray wax (warm, durable) and a quick detailer (not much cleaning, more gloss detail spray). There car wash and tire dressing are also first rate.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-wax.html
Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Another vote for Zaino Z6 here. I was using Megs Ultimate QD but it did streak after multiple uses. The Z6 doesn't and it doesn't attract dust like the Megs seemed to. They also make a Z8 which is supposed to pop even more.

When cutting the Z6 with water make sure to use distilled water.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

For silver.....?

Z2-Pro and Z-8.....

After that,

Z-6 after you wash and you're right as rain.......

Get notified of new replies

To FK425 user looking for a new spray wax or QD

Quick Reply: FK425 user looking for a new spray wax or QD