Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

1996 Corvette Grand Sport - Paint Correction & Opti-Coat Pro by Mr. Sparkle Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 07:45 AM
0Mr. Sparkle
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1996 Corvette Grand Sport - Paint Correction & Opti-Coat Pro by Mr. Sparkle Detailing

Recently got a call to work on a rare 1996 Corvette Grand Sport. Client was interested in paint correction and a protective coating. Given the age of the car it was best to first do an inspection at my shop under the LED lights.

Upon inspection it was swirled up, but not butchered. The owner understood that the final product would not be perfect, but damn close. We set a date for a multi step paint correction to be finished off with Opti-Coat Pro

Started things off with the usual wash & decon (IronX & Trix) followed up with clay magic blue and later megs red clay. All sorts of little specs stuck to the paint and likely there for years. Did not give up easily.

Brought the vette center stage, taped off the trim, and got to work. Like many Corvettes before it, the paint on this vehicle was very hard. Had to hammer down with:

Flex PE Rotary + LC purple wool + Shine Supply "Flat Top"
Flex & Griots DA + LC Tangerine + Menz Power Finish
Flex & Griots DA + LC white + Opti Coat Primer Polish

Before and after photos. Inspection under LED lighting

Hood

Passenger Door

Rear quarter panel

Trunk Lid

After install of Opti-Coat Pro, a couple glory shots

Broadcasting from the Mr. Sparkle Garage - Long Island, New York

Mr. Sparkle Detailing.com
Old 08-14-2015, 01:12 PM
tony58
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

SUPER nice job...
Old 08-15-2015, 03:18 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

That looks great!
Old 08-15-2015, 09:42 PM
TON C7S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks amazing!
Old 08-16-2015, 02:33 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Wow, great job!
Old 08-17-2015, 06:35 PM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great work as usual! If anyone needs a detailer in this area, I will give him two thumbs up! (buddy had his M3 done and it came out great!)
Old 08-18-2015, 05:03 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Old 08-19-2015, 05:07 PM
GS_DAN
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a rotary polisher and have used orange pads on my 2010 Grand sport with Black paint. It is effective but does not get the stubborn swirls out.

I was worried the purple wool pad would be too aggressive for the paint but this might be my next purchase.

That blue looks stunning.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:02 PM
0Mr. Sparkle
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS_DAN
I have a rotary polisher and have used orange pads on my 2010 Grand sport with Black paint. It is effective but does not get the stubborn swirls out.

I was worried the purple wool pad would be too aggressive for the paint but this might be my next purchase.

That blue looks stunning.
No 2 cars are alike so I cant say 100% that will solve your issue. But speaking from experience - corvette paint is typically pretty hard. Which means its difficult to remove defects. The flipside of that is (usually) a hard paint will finish down halfway decent even after an aggressive compounding

If you're not sure - tape your edges. The trim is all taped but as I move around the car as I feel its necessary when rotary polishing I'll tape off some panel edges.

The rotary is not for the weak. Most days I'm not rotary polishing. I prefer the DA (and in recent years - the long throw DA such as the Griots Boss). For this car shown in the writeup the paint (hard) and depth of defects made the rotary a must.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:19 PM
0Gloss-it
Former Vendor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice work!

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 Corvette Grand Sport - Paint Correction & Opti-Coat Pro by Mr. Sparkle Detailing

Quick Reply: 1996 Corvette Grand Sport - Paint Correction & Opti-Coat Pro by Mr. Sparkle Detailing